Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know a bill has been introduced in the Minnesota state legislature to regulate TNC companies like Uber and Lyft statewide. This bill is a great thing for Uber and Lyft as the bill would not permit municipalities to enact stricter laws.

This is also the time that Uber and Lyft drivers can influence this law and require Uber and Lyft to treat us fairly. As a group or individually we all should contact your state representatives and let them know what WE, as drivers and voters, feel should be added or changed in this bill.

An example: current law requires a zero tolerance intoxicating substance policy, which is a good thing, but the law puts all the power into Uber and Lyft's hands - the company does their own "investigation" which consists of calling the rider to confirm information at Uber/Lyft's leisure, while the driver is unable to work and not paid.

A potential change to this law could require Uber and Lyft to contact a driver within 12 hours of a substance abuse report submitted by a rider and submit to a drug and alcohol test at a specified location within 24 hours. Then Uber/Lyft would be required to conclude its investigation with 24 hours of receiving the results, and if a driver is found to have not been under the influence a set fee of $100 per day should be paid.

There are other items that could be added to state law so that Uber and Lyft do not hold all the cards.

We need to level the playing field!

---------------------------------------------------------

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?b=house&f=HF3032&ssn=0&y=2018

Subd. 8.

Zero-tolerance intoxicating substance policy.

(a) A transportation network
company must implement a zero-tolerance intoxicating substance policy for drivers that
prohibits any amount of driver intoxication while providing a prearranged drive. The
transportation network company must include on its Web site a notice concerning the
transportation network company's intoxicating substance policy and include a means for a
rider or another individual to submit a complaint regarding a suspected violation of the
policy.

(b) Upon receipt of a rider complaint alleging a violation of the intoxicating substance
policy, the transportation network company must immediately suspend the driver's access
to the digital network and conduct an investigation into the reported incident. At a minimum,
the suspension must last for the duration of the investigation.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Pointless as no other city even cares or enforce us. St. Paul isn't even collecting a fee to operate.
The Zero tolerance part is another pointless fight as you are considered an independent contractor and earnings are not subsidized for lost work/wages. They cannot impose much as they're already riding a fine line bewteeen contractor and employee. They don't want to cross that line.
Also any new rules would be 100% pointless as there practically zero enforcement.
Not a weekend goes by when I don't witness illegal steet hails and when I use these apps, drivers asking ME personally to pay cash for requests. I report them and I still see them on the road.
I see drivers at airport waiting lot take off signage and drive into the luggage area to this day.. So really no matter what is passed nobody enforces anything. It's still the wild Wild West out here after all these years.

*Last week I was behind a driver at a light and he pull out vape machine, hit the pipe and I swifted the smell of weed so strong. Maybe that's the only thing that will get these drug driving drivers to think twice with the new rules but I doubt it will do much. They're out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think the point of the bill is at all related to driver protection or improvement of driver experience. I think it is about making it easier and more consistent for the corporations involved. By the looks of it, the supporting "grass roots" support organization for this legislation is sponsored by Lyft, possibly also Uber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the point of the bill is at all related to driver protection or improvement of driver experience. I think it is about making it easier and more consistent for the corporations involved. By the looks of it, the supporting "grass roots" support organization for this legislation is sponsored by Lyft, possibly also Uber.
No, the point of this bill is TNC company protection, not driver protection. This may be one of our only chances to get some driver protection built into the law, however.

·
Registered
763 Posts
No, the point of this bill is TNC company protection, not driver protection. This may be one of our only chances to get some driver protection built into the law, however.
I agree with others that the bill is simply a way for the TNC's to protect themselves from municipalities that might be more favorable to drivers. For example, Seattle passed a city ordinance that gives the drivers the right to vote for or against a union.

Realistically, for us to get anything good in this bill for us we would have to have some sort of association to pursue amendments to the bill. Without some sort of representation we would get nowhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with others that the bill is simply a way for the TNC's to protect themselves from municipalities that might be more favorable to drivers. For example, Seattle passed a city ordinance that gives the drivers the right to vote for or against a union.

Realistically, for us to get anything good in this bill for us we would have to have some sort of association to pursue amendments to the bill. Without some sort of representation we would get nowhere.
That's one way but I can tell you that when a MN legislator gets 10-20 constituent calls on a bill or topic it gets noticed. Bigly.
Make this thread or a new thread up as a call to action: Call your State Reps & Senators & tell them x about bill #xxx...
Add the link to SoS district finder tool & have at grass roots politics in the inter webs age: Where phone calls & mailed letters count for a lot, emails somewhat less & online polls/petitions very little.
Rinse & repeat across other relevant groups/platforms.
Whether this interest group can be roused to act in naked self interest is an open question but tools exist to find out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Pointless as no other city even cares or enforce us. St. Paul isn't even collecting a fee to operate.
The Zero tolerance part is another pointless fight as you are considered an independent contractor and earnings are not subsidized for lost work/wages. They cannot impose much as they're already riding a fine line bewteeen contractor and employee. They don't want to cross that line.
Also any new rules would be 100% pointless as there practically zero enforcement.
Not a weekend goes by when I don't witness illegal steet hails and when I use these apps, drivers asking ME personally to pay cash for requests. I report them and I still see them on the road.
I see drivers at airport waiting lot take off signage and drive into the luggage area to this day.. So really no matter what is passed nobody enforces anything. It's still the wild Wild West out here after all these years.

*Last week I was behind a driver at a light and he pull out vape machine, hit the pipe and I swifted the smell of weed so strong. Maybe that's the only thing that will get these drug driving drivers to think twice with the new rules but I doubt it will do much. They're out there.
I find much here quite hard to believe. It would be quite a coincidence to have a driver ask for cash and then for you to see them again. Do you follow drivers from the waiting lot to the luggage area? You were behind another driver at a light and he used a vape (which you claim to see and recognize) and then you could smell it?? Presumably one or both of you had your windows up. This being winter and all. Must have been a real long light.

That's one way but I can tell you that when a MN legislator gets 10-20 constituent calls on a bill or topic it gets noticed. Bigly.
Make this thread or a new thread up as a call to action: Call your State Reps & Senators & tell them x about bill #xxx...
Add the link to SoS district finder tool & have at grass roots politics in the inter webs age: Where phone calls & mailed letters count for a lot, emails somewhat less & online polls/petitions very little.
Rinse & repeat across other relevant groups/platforms.
Whether this interest group can be roused to act in naked self interest is an open question but tools exist to find out.
Yes you are right. A few phone calls can make a big difference but it takes a lot of work to generate the phone calls and monitor the legislation so the calls have their desired effect.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I find much here quite hard to believe. It would be quite a coincidence to have a driver ask for cash and then for you to see them again. Do you follow drivers from the waiting lot to the luggage area? You were behind another driver at a light and he used a vape (which you claim to see and recognize) and then you could smell it?? Presumably one or both of you had your windows up. This being winter and all. Must have been a real long light.

Yes you are right. A few phone calls can make a big difference but it takes a lot of work to generate the phone calls and monitor the legislation so the calls have their desired effect.
Usual troll BS
BurgerTime

1 - 10 of 10 Posts