Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was speaking with an older european political observer. It was interesting to hear his assessment of the rise of extreme political movements around the world, especially in light of PM Trudeau's remarks last night at a private dinner. Trudeau castigated and cautioned the elites that they must start to pay workers a living wage and end the austerity that has stalled western economies.

My observer believes the growing numbers of the informed unemployed and a growing underclass of workers are much different than they have ever been. These underlying social factors and combined with social media have created a volatile pre-revolutionary period. Many people today are literate and socially aware and understand the inherent corruption throughout Neoliberal capitalist economies.

The world has entered a new phase of permanent stagflation along with the advent of rapid automation and learning machines. We have created a new world that simply has no demand but plenty of bullshit Uber jobs. The staggering wealth that has been amassed by the elites is lost and stolen wealth. People around the world need to take back the wealth that they've stolen from the 99%.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If nobody drive for uber until they treat drivers fairly there won't be uber.
It is same for all other similar jobs as well.
One robot does 10 people's job...
Who did created all this??
You, me and people like us.
As we will see autonomous cars in near future and there won't be even uber jobs..
Then we all see the wilderness...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If nobody drive for uber until they treat drivers fairly there won't be uber.
It is same for all other similar jobs as well.
One robot does 10 people's job...
Who did created all this??
You, me and people like us.
As we will see autonomous cars in near future and there won't be even uber jobs..
Then we all see the wilderness...
Wilderness? Pretty sure we'll see terminator.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ah, a Karl Marx post. Your posts... you're the guy who brings caviar to a monster truck show, aren't you ;)

Its sad. Automation is a beautiful thing. It is not the problem. In an ideal world, everything would be automated, and essentially cost nothing to make. Jobs wouldn't be necessary, because nothing would cost anything, because there is no labour cost. We make no money and we need no money. In fact, the output of automation would pay us reward in exchange for nothing.

But instead the elite few skim the ever increasing efficiency of society. Every day there is more and more wealth in the world, yet you and I grow poorer and poorer.

Those unable (or unwilling) to comprehend this simple fact just push for greater employment. The real answer is LESS employment. We should all be living an excellent life while working much less than we currently do. We as a species have earned it. But a select few have stolen the fruits of our progress.

The only remedy for this situation is a barbaric and unsympathetic revolution. The only language the elites understand is written in red ink.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ah, a Karl Marx post. Your posts... you're the guy who brings caviar to a monster truck show, aren't you ;)

Its sad. Automation is a beautiful thing. It is not the problem. In an ideal world, everything would be automated, and essentially cost nothing to make. Jobs wouldn't be necessary, because nothing would cost anything, because there is no labour cost. We make no money and we need no money. In fact, the output of automation would pay us reward in exchange for nothing.

But instead the elite few skim the ever increasing efficiency of society. Every day there is more and more wealth in the world, yet you and I grow poorer and poorer.

Those unable (or unwilling) to comprehend this simple fact just push for greater employment. The real answer is LESS employment. We should all be living an excellent life while working much less than we currently do. We as a species have earned it. But a select few have stolen the fruits of our progress.

The only remedy for this situation is a barbaric and unsympathetic revolution. The only language the elites understand is written in red ink.
It seems that way but, I hope you're wrong.

·
Registered
458 Posts
May I praise Friedrich Engels here,
We are creating 'additional value' here, but we are giving large part of it to AlGo the Algorithm. It is new way, not through taxes, not through rent, not lottery, not bad habits. It is applicable universally, skimming with AlGo 24/7. Each of us should OWN our own Algorithm to tell us what to do, where to go, see references i.e. ratings, increase or decrease pricing DYNAMICALLY. I am learning from unlce U, and it haven't been taught how to build cyber systems. Can you please point me into right direction. I want to build more addictive U-service than the smart uncle U did.
'This changes Everything' (C) dragonriders

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No need for violence, Capitalism will destroy itself, because greed knows no limits.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May I praise Friedrich Engels here,
We are creating 'additional value' here, but we are giving large part of it to AlGo the Algorithm. It is new way, not through taxes, not through rent, not lottery, not bad habits. It is applicable universally, skimming with AlGo 24/7. Each of us should OWN our own Algorithm to tell us what to do, where to go, see references i.e. ratings, increase or decrease pricing DYNAMICALLY. I am learning from unlce U, and it haven't been taught how to build cyber systems. Can you please point me into right direction. I want to build more addictive U-service than the smart uncle U did.
'This changes Everything' (C) dragonriders
Blockchain is here, maybe one blockchain for all transportation. Owner/Operator paid direct and 99.19% of paid fare. Autonomous vehicles are here but will be several years for rollout.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes yes, the same way my tub cleans its self with "scrub free" bathroom spray. Will the peaceful and smooth revolution also smell of lovely lemon-apple?
Here is your basic guaranteed income trials in Finland that have already started, not sure what the aromatic preferences are for the Finnish people when it comes to bathroom cleansers. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/19/basic-income-finland-low-wages-fewer-jobs

Must have been a fantastic letter to have received albeit only a two year experiment. The thing about doing Uber and especially in Toronto was the enormous number of millennial's I met who had 2 or 3 part time jobs. Employment data in Canada/US and throughout Europe is that full time work is quickly being replaced with 0 contract hours and part time work.

Automation throughout the white collar workforce is now a simple HR calculation. I was reminded this past week how extensive it has become in the publishing industry. Five years ago ebook production was a relatively new technology and the company I sourced had a workforce of 25 people, half IT the other Sales and Marketing. Fast forward to now, the company is doing 5 times more production, with a split of 3 technical and 4 sales and marketing people working offsite.

This newest off loading of the more technical work to the publisher/editor/designer was disconcerting, this meant viewing tutorials on youtube and calls to IT. Working the newest electronic publishing templates it was obvious well paying jobs in the digital space will be obsolesced in short order. Secure well paying jobs are a now a relic of the Postcapitalist model. This new information digital production posits the question, " Who will have the resources to access all this new creative information?"

When these experiments in GAI have proven successful how quickly will we be able to rapidly roll these programmes? Time is now of the essence as we begin to see the rapid collapse of western capitalism. Growing masses of disaffected people are waiting for bankrupt elites to finally start addressing the needs of people rather than managing fortunes they can never hope to spend in a million lifetimes.

Eight men who can now fit into a mini van and now have an accumulated wealth equal to 50% of the worlds population.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayed...mic-instability-in-the-age-of-trump-1.3985663
Joseph Stiglitz on global economic instability in the age of Trump.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
355 Posts
all countries are controlled by their respective elites. The question then becomes how do you get there...
Most young people do not realize that their financial future is bleak (can't buy a House etc)

"Canada's top one per cent of income earners pulled in an average of $466,700 in 2014, and paid more in taxes than the average Canadian household makes in a year.

New data from Statistics Canada provides a glimpse of Canada's wealthiest - the 268,505 Canadians who earn more than $227,100 annually."

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
all countries are controlled by their respective elites. The question then becomes how do you get there...
Most young people do not realize that their financial future is bleak (can't buy a House etc)

"Canada's top one per cent of income earners pulled in an average of $466,700 in 2014, and paid more in taxes than the average Canadian household makes in a year.

New data from Statistics Canada provides a glimpse of Canada's wealthiest - the 268,505 Canadians who earn more than $227,100 annually."
Its' interesting that corporate wealth seems to almost never get the same criticism as personal wealth. The media simply can't bite the hands that feed them.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here is a link to some useful data re:postcapitalism
http://ppesydney.net/10-talking-points-towards-general-theory-trump/

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes yes, the same way my tub cleans its self with "scrub free" bathroom spray. Will the peaceful and smooth revolution also smell of lovely lemon-apple?
The french invented a great way to get rid of the french aristocracy. Most people today would say the guillotine would be too humane for these lying modern day Hitlers that now run and ruin the lives of 10's of millions of workers.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Reflecting On One Very, Very Strange Year At Uber

If this is the way they treat employees in the Uber programming departments than this company is by all means completely dysfunctional.

https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber
One case of sexual harassment of an engineer detailed in a blog post and it gets national coverage, immediate responses from the exec board. Great concern for the individual concerned and rapid action taken to ameliorate the issue.
Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of drivers are compensated with starvation wages, fraudulent representation of earnings is the norm to attract new drivers, billions in lost opportunity costs stolen from the most vulnerable as Uber floods market with drivers and slashes fares, probably thousands impoverished bankrupted by predatory lending and arbitrary changes and cultivated ignorance of operating expenses, drivers attacked murdered because of lack of safety features and top down policy that ignores driver concerns. And all this is barely worth a mention, when it is it's almost always framed as a business concern for Uber, the driver is barely human in the media's collective hivemind. Says a lot about the society we live doesn't it.
The 'worker' is no longer a necessary cog in the machine, but rather a nuisance and troublesome human garbage that will soon to be rendered obsolete.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One case of sexual harassment of an engineer detailed in a blog post and it gets national coverage, immediate responses from the exec board. Great concern for the individual concerned and rapid action taken to ameliorate the issue.
Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of drivers are compensated with starvation wages, fraudulent representation of earnings is the norm to attract new drivers, billions in lost opportunity costs stolen from the most vulnerable as Uber floods market with drivers and slashes fares, probably thousands impoverished bankrupted by predatory lending and arbitrary changes and cultivated ignorance of operating expenses, drivers attacked murdered because of lack of safety features and top down policy that ignores driver concerns. And all this is barely worth a mention, when it is it's almost always framed as a business concern for Uber, the driver is barely human in the media's collective hivemind. Says a lot about the society we live doesn't it.
The 'worker' is no longer a necessary cog in the machine, but rather a nuisance and troublesome human garbage that will soon to be rendered obsolete.
Thanks for thought provoking counter perspective! Paul Mason has been writing on this extensively over the past few years, I quote him,

"Neoliberalism is broken," For Mason, "neoliberalism" refers to the whole capitalist world system: the corporations, markets, states, institutions, cash crops, consumer culture, winners, losers, all of it. While on the immediate world stage neoliberalism appears to be thriving, from a broader perspective its foundations are crumbling."

Here is a link to some essential reading of world his 'alternative theory of the world.'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts