Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
What I do is download the map of Melbourne on google map via wifi . The good thing is it dos t sucks your data as the map has been pre loaded on your phone. I have also Sygic which I used as an alternative platform that's just me .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually the sygic one is pretty good use to use it and I think I bought it a little while back might have to re download that one. thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Google one works well, just need to watch out for the back lane issue. Its not a google maps issue as such, but the way Uber passes the address over. Google is trying to take you to the PIN LOCATION, not the street address, so often that pin is 'closer' to the back lane than the front street address.

In the burbs that don't have back lanes, this issue doesn't exist. ;)

and yes, cache google maps data to save on mobile data!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Scottie, for us Samsung folk we can only use Google Maps or Waze while integrating with Uber. Waze is owned by Google and I've been told they are essentially using the same mapping engine so back to your original question you can probably say they will offer the same accuracy and reliability. The back laneway diversion is, as other have said, purely an Uber foible. I have used both Waze and GM but always find myself returning to GM simply because I don't like the constant clutter and activity on the Waze screens. I've turned off what I can but there always seems to be distractions.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Scottie, for us Samsung folk we can only use Google Maps or Waze while integrating with Uber. Waze is owned by Google and I've been told they are essentially using the same mapping engine so back to your original question you can probably say they will offer the same accuracy and reliability. The back laneway diversion is, as other have said, purely an Uber foible. I have used both Waze and GM but always find myself returning to GM simply because I don't like the constant clutter and activity on the Waze screens. I've turned off what I can but there always seems to be distractions.
i really like your comments. Thats why i dont use waze.. GM is so simple. Sad they do.not didplay cameras and speed limits . but you can get that rectified by buying some additional hardware on ebay for a fee or having another smart phone on your dash running an app with these functionalities integrated

·
Registered
158 Posts
I started Uber driving last August and nothing but trouble with the App, Uber told me to remove and reload Uber App to fix it, still no good. I went into Uber HQ and spat the dummy big time, I was told by Uber that the Uber App is NOT fully supported on a Samsung phone, but 100% compatible with a iPhone. I went out and got a new iPhone 6 straight away and now had 10 months of NO issues since swapping to a iPhone

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I was told by Uber that the Uber App is NOT fully supported on a Samsung phone, but 100% compatible with a iPhone. I went out and got a new iPhone 6 straight away and now had 10 months of NO issues since swapping to a iPhone
Strange.... I (and many others) run android phones and haven't had any issues with the partner app. So not sure why Fuber said this to you. But glad its all sorted I guess.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Scottie, I've heard the same story from a number of people. The Samsung works OK but for sure the seamless integration you experience with the iPhone isn't there. And all the help and videos from Uber tend to talk only about the iPhone and don't clearly say that with Samsung your navigation is running as a separate instance and that took me some time to get my head around

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I'm sure the next price drop is just around the corner once the surge of $400-600 new referral drivers come on board!

I'll be hanging up the Uber keys if the prices go any lower.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
I started Uber driving last August and nothing but trouble with the App, Uber told me to remove and reload Uber App to fix it, still no good. I went into Uber HQ and spat the dummy big time, I was told by Uber that the Uber App is NOT fully supported on a Samsung phone, but 100% compatible with a iPhone. I went out and got a new iPhone 6 straight away and now had 10 months of NO issues since swapping to a iPhone
No issues with 3 different Android devices in the last 1.5 years: note 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 6

1 - 20 of 21 Posts