Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a week of using Waze I have dumped all other maps and GPS apps on my phone. Why:
  • Intuitive and simple to use
  • Configure to the way I want to use it with clear easy to understand instructions
  • Real time traffic conditions/updates due to built in social features (reporting by other Waze drivers)
  • Huge community of users
  • Google app (great - stability, tech, support)
Of course, easy integration with Uber app.

Thanks to GrandpaD and others that talked about this app and its features.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Glad you like it. A good example of traffic avoidance is approaching the Spaghetti Bowl from NW. Accident on the I-15 merge. Heading to airport. Waze had me exit at Rancho and get back on I-15 on Sahara. Made good time, avoided the mess.
Like you say, you can configure to turn off stuff to clean up the map.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My issue with Waze is I've had multiple riders remind me that Uber mostly charges by mile, not time. So Waze on the "Fastest" setting makes it look like I'm longhauling, although getting there faster. The only other option is "shortest" but that option has me making lefts and rights on every side street. So then I ignore the directions a bit to compensate but Pax think I'm getting lost or not paying attention.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Michael, I have the same issue. Passengers asking me why I turned right instead of left. That "recalculating" beep in Waze is a dead give away. So I always ask if there is a route preference. If I hear them say "fastest" I'm good to go and use Waze with some exceptions. If they say they don't care, I will do my best to get them lowest fare possible even if it takes a little longer. I had a really pleasant conversation taking a guy from downtown to Bellagio via Las Vegas Blvd the whole way. Heavy traffic, but it didn't bother me. He was enjoying the tour and was wide eyed out the window the whole time. Just all depends on the rider.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, Waze on shortest is a bust, I think. Will keep it on Fastest and then ask if Pax prefers the Las Vegas Blvd tour which is slower but cheaper.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd only recommend the tour if passenger specifically requests it. I really enjoyed the conversation with the guy, but no tip nevertheless. YMMV but a short distance and long time isn't the most profitable way to drive your pax when no tip is offered.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I do what Tim says. I say I'm using Waze to avoid accidents, etc. and get them there as fast, safe as possible. Also, there is a "per minute" charge that'll add up if you're sitting in an I-15 parking lot. But, I give them the option, should they comment, of providing directions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love Waze but maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've had a few occasions especially on the highway when Waze won't give me the most accurate directions. Example: windmill/Maryland pkwy to Spanish trails - directed on 15 and then when I passed 215 Waze tells me it's recalculating. I knew to take 215 but followed Waze in case of a reason for the detour and found it that it was just too slow in stating 215 exit. Thoughts???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I generally have the volume low on Waze and do not use bluetooth (i.e. I am not using the car's speakers). I normally get 2-3 options from Waze on the route and I always ask the pax if they have a route preference. Set expectations so there are no surprises especially if you are doing something that may not make sense to the pax (like the Bonanza to 7th for LIB).

·
Banned
919 Posts
My issue with Waze is I've had multiple riders remind me that Uber mostly charges by mile, not time. So Waze on the "Fastest" setting makes it look like I'm longhauling, although getting there faster. The only other option is "shortest" but that option has me making lefts and rights on every side street. So then I ignore the directions a bit to compensate but Pax think I'm getting lost or not paying attention.
It is both. You might go 1 mile farther but save them 4 minutes. Here in OC, that means they pay $1.10 but save $.72 on time. Do they really want to fight you on them saving 4 minutes but costing them $.38? If they want to waste time, they are the perfect uberx rider. You will never get a tip.
I always tell the pax I use Waze because it is interactive and will tell me to go around traffic or accident and save time and money.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, they fight over $.25 haha. One was an x-uber driver who was furious I was using Waze. He was like "don't make that turn, more miles". So I just took the shortest route to get my 5 stars. Wasted 4 minutes for a 5.0 rating, I guess! Whatever makes them happy. :)

25 rides so far, two tips $9 total. More than I expected.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Why would you need WAZE in Vegas? It's not like you have a crapload of route options. It's Hwy 15 or nothing if you want to go N/S through Vegas or Hwy 215/515/95 to go E/W or around Vegas. Everything else is either the strip or sideroads, which are usually busy or not busy at the same time and can change quicker than can be tracked.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why would you need WAZE in Vegas? It's not like you have a crapload of route options. It's Hwy 15 or nothing if you want to go N/S through Vegas or Hwy 215/515/95 to go E/W or around Vegas. Everything else is either the strip or sideroads, which always busy or not busy at the same time and can change quicker than can be tracked.
Simple....accidents clog the freeways for hours...and there's usually a few a day. So parallel streets are a good option. Plus, there are a lot of suburban areas with numerous alternate routes due to traffic. I've used Waze here for 6 years and it's invaluable at tracking traffic issues....a pretty big data base of users.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would you need WAZE in Vegas? It's not like you have a crapload of route options. It's Hwy 15 or nothing if you want to go N/S through Vegas or Hwy 215/515/95 to go E/W or around Vegas. Everything else is either the strip or sideroads, which always busy or not busy at the same time and can change quicker than can be tracked.
Las Vegas is a lot more than a 4.2 mile strip. With just over 2 million people and 600 square miles in the metro Las Vegas area that is a lot of things to memorize. But understand your point if all you do is within the strip. Waze GPS with dynamic road condition monitoring is a good tool to have.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I didn't say a GPS wouldn't be helpful, just that you don't need WAZE to tell you what to do. I drove taxi in Vegas for months without a GPS of any kind. WAZE is overkill!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Simple....accidents clog the freeways for hours...and there's usually a few a day. So parallel streets are a good option. Plus, there are a lot of suburban areas with numerous alternate routes due to traffic. I've used Waze here for 6 years and it's invaluable at tracking traffic issues....a pretty big data base of users.
After driving in greater Boston for most of my life Vegas is a cakewalk. Everything's a grid. If one street's bad try the next one. It's no big mystery. If you feel WAZE works for you fine but trust me when I say I don't need it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Las Vegas is a lot more than a 4.2 mile strip. With just over 2 million people and 600 square miles in the metro Las Vegas area that is a lot of things to memorize. But understand your point if all you do is within the strip. Waze GPS with dynamic road condition monitoring is a good tool to have.
What part of my post led you to deduce that I considered Vegas to be only a 4.2 mile strip?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What part of my post led you to deduce that I considered Vegas to be only a 4.2 mile strip?
"Why would you need WAZE in Vegas?" You confused me too, Waze is just an alternative to Google maps. Sounded like you thought no GPS was needed. I'm just still learning how Waze routes sometimes so I can explain to Pax. They don't trust it as much as Google but it's way cooler and also makes for a conversation starter.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
After driving in greater Boston for most of my life Vegas is a cakewalk. Everything's a grid. If one street's bad try the next one. It's no big mystery. If you feel WAZE works for you fine but trust me when I say I don't need it.
No, Vegas isn't Boston. So I find it interesting that a Boston driver seemingly has the solution to navigating our city. Let's say you're approaching the Spaghetti Bowl and you hit congestion. The offramp is maybe a couple miles long before you merge to I-15. Once you've committed, there's "no next one" to "jump to". A Waze user would know this and probably have taken Rancho south. I'm sure people acknowledge your professional driver opinion, but don't belittle those that choose to use tools available to them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
"Why would you need WAZE in Vegas?" You confused me too, Waze is just an alternative to Google maps. Sounded like you thought no GPS was needed. I'm just still learning how Waze routes sometimes so I can explain to Pax. They don't trust it as much as Google but it's way cooler and also makes for a conversation starter.
Well, yes, I operated fine without a GPS in Henderson and Vegas for years starting in 2005, including driving a cab for a few months without needing one then either, but if you want me to say a GPS is better than nothing then fine I'll say it - a GPS is better than nothing. But my original point was that with the limited road options in Vegas WAZE has diminishing returns with respect to a plain old Googlemaps GPS or even a fold-out map for that matter but since it's free I'll agree if it works for you go with it but c'mon who gives a crap - if you know Vegas you know it and if you don't you don't. Traffic being tied up for hours due to accidents all over the place...give me a break!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts