Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to thank all of you for your concern. After the loss of two very productive tomato plants but worse, two grape vines and a blueberry bush due consecutive 111° days it was refreshing to get all the support I did from NONE of yous in this difficult time. Don't worry, the watermelon is going to be delicious and I have lots of friends/neighbors/family to help me enjoy.

But if anybody has an inground swimming pool you could bring over I might be persuaded to let you join the party.
Food Plant Ingredient Flower Leaf vegetable

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a bug in sight, good duck
How about all those weeds and grass you don't see growing through there? I'm a little densely planted and it's a late producing kind (2 of 6 are actually early, individual size) so I've got a bit of a wait still. There's probably 20 fruit visible today.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I need that for the blueberries for sure because of the birds. What do I attach it to?
Use netting for the blueberries. Put stakes in the ground to hold up the netting. Shade screen can be made free-standing so that you can move them around the garden to strategically lessen the direct sunrays

Picture this with a mesh panel...

Camera accessory Computer monitor accessory Metal Fashion accessory Font

It can be made for a couple of bucks with pvc tubing and connectors available at Lowes, etc.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
First I'd like to thank all of you for your concern. After the loss of two very productive tomato plants but worse, two grape vines and a blueberry bush due consecutive 111° days it was refreshing to get all the support I did from NONE of yous in this difficult time. Don't worry, the watermelon is going to be delicious and I have lots of friends/neighbors/family to help me enjoy.

But if anybody has an inground swimming pool you could bring over I might be persuaded to let you join the party.
View attachment 48607
I can't wait to visit the animal farm. Where's old major , napoleon and the other pigs? are they in the "pigpen"?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use netting for the blueberries. Put stakes in the ground to hold up the netting. Shade screen can be made free-standing so that you can move them around the garden to strategically lessen the direct sunrays

Picture this with a mesh panel...

View attachment 48617

It can be made for a couple of bucks with pvc tubing and connectors available at Lowes, etc.
That looks handy but you'd have to be there all day.

I discovered this handy little wire clamp. You can feed the wire one way only and it won't go the other direction no matter how hard you pull it. That's high tension wire which isn't really necessary with year old vines but they do get pretty heavy. Anyway I grab that wire with the vise grips and prop my foot up on the support and pulled it just as tight as I could and it's straight as an arrow

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
That looks handy but you'd have to be there all day.

I discovered this handy little wire clamp. You can feed the wire one way only and it won't go the other direction no matter how hard you pull it. That's high tension wire which isn't really necessary with year old vines but they do get pretty heavy. Anyway I grab that wire with the vise grips and prop my foot up on the support and pulled it just as tight as I could and it's straight as an arrow
No, they can be pre-positioned with only slight adjustment as the season progresses. You only need to protect the plants from UV B rays between 11:00am and 3:00pm (with 1:00 pm being critical). The sun's position during those times is predictable. Constant movement is not required.

Let me elaborate a bit here... the UV B wavelength is that which causes drying in plants and sunburns in humans. UV B radiation increases as the sun's altitude goes over 50 degrees. This corresponds to the hours of 10:10am and 5:50 pm currently.

Here's a link to a the Navy's Altitude and Azimuth Calculator...

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

Garden mesh is UV B resistant so as to not quickly fall apart in the sun. You can put a roof of mesh over the garden, but because we're not on the equator it is best to block the sun from an angle rather than overhead. This maximizes light to the garden while lessening UV B exposure.

·
Registered
840 Posts
We used to use metal fencing stapled to wood stakes that were buried in the ground for supporting the berry vines. Blueberries, we grew them through tomato cages I think. Been many years since we had berry plants. Didn't much bother with keeping pests out, the cats did that well enough.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We used to use metal fencing stapled to wood stakes that were buried in the ground for supporting the berry vines. Blueberries, we grew them through tomato cages I think. Been many years since we had berry plants. Didn't much bother with keeping pests out, the cats did that well enough.
I don't know how long ago that was but they have those southern highbush varieties they say can support themselves up to 6' tall. I keep them shorter anyway. Do you remember what kind of yield you were getting with your plants? I've got six of them, only two are even close to mature but they produce a ton of berries. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to a farmers market with some of these.

I'm amazed at the variety of flavors these things have some of these plants produce a real mellow sweet berry and one is downright spicy but still sweet. It's an amazing plant

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know how long ago that was but they have those southern highbush varieties they say can support themselves up to 6' tall. I keep them shorter anyway. Do you remember what kind of yield you were getting with your plants? I've got six of them, only two are even close to mature but they produce a ton of berries. I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to a farmers market with some of these.

I'm amazed at the variety of flavors these things have some of these plants produce a real mellow sweet berry and one is downright spicy but still sweet. It's an amazing plant
Do not remember the variety of the blueberry, but we kept them short about 2'-3', and were able to pick a small bowlful every morning off the 4 bushes. The blackberry and raspberry vines, about 8' worth of each, were prolific and got enough that I was able to cook a berry buckle every morning in the summer if I chose.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i LOVE TOMATOES
Well if you like watermelon as well you'll love this...

Next time you make a tomato salad, you know, an actual tomato salad, not when you start slicing tomatoes and just eat them at the counter instead of putting them on a plate (might be a guy thing) slip a little chunk of watermelon in it every for every 10 tomato pieces or so. Especially if you're making it for somebody but don't tell them. If you're lucky they won't notice until they eat it and it makes for a great refreshing surprise and it's fun too. Just make your tomato salad like always, with the mozzarella cheese and Italian dressing and basil, etc. (how I do it anyway) and just mix in a few bites of watermelon. You'll love it.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
TG....maybe set up some type of video monitor in the garden and put this on a loop as an inspiration to the watermelon...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well if you like watermelon as well you'll love this...

Next time you make a tomato salad, you know, an actual tomato salad, not when you start slicing tomatoes and just eat them at the counter instead of putting them on a plate (might be a guy thing) slip a little chunk of watermelon in it every for every 10 tomato pieces or so. Especially if you're making it for somebody but don't tell them. If you're lucky they won't notice until they eat it and it makes for a great refreshing surprise and it's fun too. Just make your tomato salad like always, with the mozzarella cheese and Italian dressing and basil, etc. (how I do it anyway) and just mix in a few bites of watermelon. You'll love it.
wow you set the Bar high, sounds very delicious. I dont eat my tomatoes like apples. But in Sandwiches ohhhhhhh.. my home version of subways spicy italian, with lettuce, mayo, buffalo sauce, and a v thick piece of tomato, but not to sauggi, but just right.... oh and on your standard loaf of bread the best. yum yum yum..... im hungry

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

View attachment 48607
I like your Melons...they look firm and juicy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts