Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was on a trip and i get an in queue request. It's only a 1.3 x surge, and so i was kind of on the fence about accepting it, but since most of the time in queue requests end up being pretty close to the drop off point of my last pax, I go on and accept it.
So I drop off my current pax and start my next ride to pick up the in queue pax.
And wait, wtf ??? It's a 12 min PU ! In this particular place I rarely do pickups of longer than 6 minutes !
My next thought is, if it was a 1.3 surge when this pax requested a ride, who knows it could have gone way up since then !
So I did something I never do, I reached up and hit the cancel button and gave the reason: other.

Sure enough as soon as my screen cleared from that ride, solid red with the surge going 2.4 X's

A few seconds later I get a request so I quickly hit accept. And Oh $#!+..... it was the same pax I just canceled on !

Well since I was already headed in that direction when I cancelled this time it ended up only being a six minute pickup, but the difference being I was getting paid nearly twice as much for it.
So when I picked up the pax, they said they had already made one request but the driver cancelled on them. I guess they didn't realize that driver was me LOL

Have you ever accepted a ride you wish you would not have, for whatever reason, and then just cancelled with the reason: other ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
YES - I have done it before once I realized I was heading in the wrong direction and turning around would have added more time/mileage. I do wish when we are already with a PAX, it would give more details as far as the next pick up.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I do that routinely: Canceling non-Surge or lower Surge rides because there's a better Surge at the moment.

I always check after a stacked ping to make sure the Surge hasn't gone up yet. I did this probably 5 times this last weekend, I always "Cancel: Don't Charge Customer"

Don't do "Other" I feel if I have no intention of picking them up then "Cancel: Don't Charge" is the best way to go. I assume it tells the pax that their request was cancelled and that they won't be charged, assuring them that they weren't scammed or whatnot. "Other" may not advise them that the request cancelled without a charge.

This usually happens only after I get a stacked ping as I don't get a chance to see the surge map before accepting, but occasionally if the pickup is a pain in the butt or too far, I'll also check on the surge. If you aren't running two devices in your car, you are running at a disadvantage not being able to double check the surge map before deciding to take a pax or cancelling.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do that routinely: Canceling non-Surge or lower Surge rides because there's a better Surge at the moment.

I always check after a stacked ping to make sure the Surge hasn't gone up yet. I did this probably 5 times this last weekend, I always "Cancel: Don't Charge Customer"

Don't do "Other" I feel if I have no intention of picking them up then "Cancel: Don't Charge" is the best way to go. I assume it tells the pax that their request was cancelled and that they won't be charged, assuring them that they weren't scammed or whatnot. "Other" may not advise them that the request cancelled without a charge.

This usually happens only after I get a stacked ping as I don't get a chance to see the surge map before accepting, but occasionally if the pickup is a pain in the butt or too far, I'll also check on the surge. If you aren't running two devices in your car, you are running at a disadvantage not being able to double check the surge map before deciding to take a pax or cancelling.
But wait.... You say after accepting a stacked ping, you go back and check to see if it has surged higher ??? How do you do that ? As long as i have a PU in progress, i can't see the surge map ? Even in the situation i described, i was only guessing that the surge might have gone up, and i got lucky, and i was right....

Still, i dont think I'd do this often, as I'm not trying to crank my cancellations way up, but once in a while if a surge has gone way up from like a 1.3 or 1.6, to 3.0 or more, heck yes, it would be good to have this option.

I'm pretty sure a pax is never charged a cancellation fee, unless you arrive at the PU point, and they take longer than 5 min to cancel.... Or you then cancel on them. In fact i didnt even think the pax saw the reason you cancelled anyway ? Do they ?

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
But wait.... You say after accepting a stacked ping, you go back and check to see if it has surged higher ??? How do you do that ? As long as i have a PU in progress, i can't see the surge map ? Even in the situation i described, i was only guessing that the surge might have gone up, and i got lucky, and i was right....
If you aren't running two devices in your car, you are running at a disadvantage not being able to double check the surge map before deciding to take a pax or cancelling.
I run the App and Nav on my tablet, leaving my cell phone free to log into it's own App to check the surge map.

Surprisingly, I don't get a whole lot of no show cancels so I have enough allocation to cancel for surges. 5 cancels is 10%, nothing deactivation worthy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So i was on a trip and i get an in queue request. It's only a 1.3 x surge, and so i was kind of on the fence about accepting it, but since most of the time in queue requests end up being pretty close to the drop off point of my last pax, I go on and accept it.
So I drop off my current pax and start my next ride to pick up the in queue pax.
And wait, wtf ??? It's a 12 min PU ! In this particular place I rarely do pickups of longer than 6 minutes !
My next thought is, if it was a 1.3 surge when this pax requested a ride, who knows it could have gone way up since then !
So I did something I never do, I reached up and hit the cancel button and gave the reason: other.

Sure enough as soon as my screen cleared from that ride, solid red with the surge going 2.4 X's

A few seconds later I get a request so I quickly hit accept. And Oh $#!+..... it was the same pax I just canceled on !

Well since I was already headed in that direction when I cancelled this time it ended up only being a six minute pickup, but the difference being I was getting paid nearly twice as much for it.
So when I picked up the pax, they said they had already made one request but the driver cancelled on them. I guess they didn't realize that driver was me LOL

Have you ever accepted a ride you wish you would not have, for whatever reason, and then just cancelled with the reason: other ?
Yes. Just did it this weekend. Got an in ride ping at 1.5 surge. Dropped off PAX and see that the arrival time has changed from 8 minutes to 15 minutes and over a sketchy bridge. There was huge surges going downtown so yes I did cancel. Headed downtown and got a surge request for 3.9 after driving 5 minutes.y get in my car is my philosophy.

I'm in it for the money. Let Uber take care of the customer until the

Stacked rides only serve to keep surge down. Usually it means it's busy enough to warrant it. Most of the time a stacked ride will be lower than what u would otherwise get
Really? I didn't know that. Is that your opinion or do you have experiences?

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Yes. Just did it this weekend. Got an in ride ping at 1.5 surge. Dropped off PAX and see that the arrival time has changed from 8 minutes to 15 minutes and over a sketchy bridge. There was huge surges going downtown so yes I did cancel. Headed downtown and got a surge request for 3.9 after driving 5 minutes.y get in my car is my philosophy.

I'm in it for the money. Let Uber take care of the customer until the

Been driving over a year. Yes I've kicked myself plenty of times after accepting a stacked ping when I look on the rider app and see surge I would've gotten had I waited to drop off the first pax before taking another

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Stacked rides only serve to keep surge down. Usually it means it's busy enough to warrant it. Most of the time a stacked ride will be lower than what u would otherwise get
Not sure I believe this in fact I don't. I've had many a stacked ride with true significant surges.

Canceling is part of the game. Example accept then realize you are going the wrong way on the freeway and the next turn around is 5 miles down the road. The 5 minute pick up turns into 15 cancel. Another example you accept then realize the pick up is in an area you don't want to go too cancel.

You did nothing wrong. In fact you did everything right!

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
It's opinion. It's not even true consistently for one driver, let alone what time of day it is, your market conditions, etc. A stacked ping means the Uber algorithm says your drop off and travel time will make you the closest driver to that pick-up. IF a surge is just starting, it's likely going up as you make your drop off. If a surge is declining, you accepted at surge rate HIGHER than what is available at the drop off. It's not consistent...so you have to be AWARE of surge in your area at all times, plus it helps to know surge patterns so you can guess what is ahead.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
That's not to say stacked rides aren't surged, it's that it's often lower that what it would be if I wait till the first ride is over. I've taken 2.5x stacked only to see it's gone up to 4x by the time I finished the 1st ride. Usually you get these before the surge reaches its peak. Not always but usually

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.