Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I got paid taking the customer to her destination but Waze took me to the toll/tunnel as well on my way to pick her up, which was a 20 minute drive. I don't see that I got paid for the toll going in to pick up the customer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Typically whatever it costs the driver to travel to pick someone up is the drivers expense......welcome to the world of driving for pay.........bend over and :D

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
part of learning to drive a taxi *cough* is knowing how to recognize that a fare they are trying to get you to do will take a toll to get to the pickup. During a lot of the day you need to ignore pings that will take a toll to get to.

At the end of the day, sometimes i pay tolls to get to pickups.. most of the time I don't.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I know I got paid taking the customer to her destination but Waze took me to the toll/tunnel as well on my way to pick her up, which was a 20 minute drive. I don't see that I got paid for the toll going in to pick up the customer.
Uber has reimbursed some tolls post trip for a driver but you have to do a fare adjustment and ask. Technically it is the cost of doing business but I have seen drivers in your situation get reimbursed the trick is they usually got reimbursed for a toll coming back post trip rather than one on their way to the Pax.

Future reference you should never take a ping that takes you 20 minutes to drive to. Even if it's a long trip, the dead miles driving to that person put unnecessary wear on your car.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
You should never take a toll to get to any pickup. Cancel instead and call the pax to let them know why unless they are willing to reinburse you. Tolls you take while you are on an active trip are automatically added to the fare so you dont have to worry about that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just e-mailed Uber about it and they said it's usually automatic that the Waze app would recognize me going to the toll to pick up the passenger. What Uber wants from me now is to take a pic of my EZ Pass bill to prove to them that I did go through the toll going in to pick up a customer so I can get reimbursed. What I think Uber needs to do is to automatically reimburse drivers having to go through tolls to pick up a passenger. The reason why the ping was sent to me was probably because I was the only one closest enough to the passenger. It was around 4 a.m. so there's not many drivers out there.

part of learning to drive a taxi *cough* is knowing how to recognize that a fare they are trying to get you to do will take a toll to get to the pickup. During a lot of the day you need to ignore pings that will take a toll to get to.

At the end of the day, sometimes i pay tolls to get to pickups.. most of the time I don't.
well what determines you get paid to go to the tolls to pick up a passenger and why sometimes you don't get paid for it? It had to be an Uber error? There's a reason why Uber has a "help" section regarding tolls it's because I think sometimes Waze or Google Maps fail to recognize a toll and it doesn't register with Uber so drivers get reimbursed for it.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Very very rarely do even taxis get paid for the tolls to get to pick someone up. It's not industry standard to charge people for tolls to get to them.

Most jurisdictions do allow to charge a customer double tolls under certain situations, IE paying a bridge toll both ways if your taking someone out of the city.

Your not really supposed to get paid for driving to get to someone,

If it happens, it's probobly in some kind of error with uber.

Me personally sometimes i accept fares that require a toll to get to, sometimes i don't, and sometimes i get reimbursed for the toll, sometimes I don't.

In a taxi... sometimes i can con passengers into comping me for the tolls to get to them. But it's not charging them for the toll.. it's more akin to begging for extra to pay for it...

With uber... you never know what the heck is going to happen, ever. You could get shorted 30-40% of what they owe you, you might not.

What i'm saying is.. you need to learn how to avoid accepting pings that require taking a toll road to get to the pickup location. It adds up fast and will ruin you.

Reactions: grams777

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you saying Uber makes mistakes?

when I picked up the customer I was in the county going into the city through the toll. I picked the customer from the city going into the county. Some of my tolls have been paid when I picked up a customer when I had to go through the tolls, not sure why this time around it's different as if they changed their terms? It would have taken me 40 minutes to get to the customer unless I went to the toll (which only took 20 minutes). I guess the ping was sent to me because I was the only one closest enough or no one else wanted it (since maybe the other drivers were just too far away or weren't interested).

Very very rarely do even taxis get paid for the tolls to get to pick someone up. It's not industry standard to charge people for tolls to get to them.

Most jurisdictions do allow to charge a customer double tolls under certain situations, IE paying a bridge toll both ways if your taking someone out of the city.

Your not really supposed to get paid for driving to get to someone,

If it happens, it's probobly in some kind of error with uber.

Me personally sometimes i accept fares that require a toll to get to, sometimes i don't, and sometimes i get reimbursed for the toll, sometimes I don't.

In a taxi... sometimes i can con passengers into comping me for the tolls to get to them. But it's not charging them for the toll.. it's more akin to begging for extra to pay for it...

With uber... you never know what the heck is going to happen, ever. You could get shorted 30-40% of what they owe you, you might not.

What i'm saying is.. you need to learn how to avoid accepting pings that require taking a toll road to get to the pickup location. It adds up fast and will ruin you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts