Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Las Vegas cab driver. I’ve been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to create an uberpeople account so I could 1) see screen shots and 2) post my thoughts.

For what they are worth, what follows are some of my many thoughts. (Testing the character limits of this forum, my “thoughts” may result in several posts.)

- I’ve lived in Vegas for almost forty years.

- I’ve driven a cab for over fifteen years.

- I believe in both democracy and capitalism.

That said, welcome to Las Vegas, Uber drivers!

Over the past months I have read SO many posts here it’s hard to know where to begin. Allow me to, perhaps, ramble for a bit….

I have no ill-will toward Uber or Lyft drivers. We are all out here just trying to pay the bills.

True, Uber and Lyft have taken a percentage of the taxicab business in Las Vegas. Based on current statistics, ride-sharing currently has about 15% to 25% of the Vegas taxicab business. And, I suspect, that percentage will grow over the following months and years. My firm expectation is that Uber wants to take over the taxicab industry, world-wide, implement self-driving cars, and be done with all of us! But that’s just my, personal, theory.

For now, it seems, for those of us who need an income to survive, we are all slaves to either taxicab companies or to the so-called ride-sharing services.

After following this thread for so long I had SO much more to say. But, alas, this post is already way too long.

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

Good look luck as a ride-sharing driver.

Feel free to ask me, as a Vegas cab driver, questions.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I am a Las Vegas cab driver. I've been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to create an uberpeople account so I could 1) see screen shots and 2) post my thoughts.

For what they are worth, what follows are some of my many thoughts. (Testing the character limits of this forum, my "thoughts" may result in several posts.)

- I've lived in Vegas for almost forty years.

- I've driven a cab for over fifteen years.

Over the past months I have read SO many posts here it's hard to know where to begin. Allow me to, perhaps, ramble for a bit….

I have no ill-will toward Uber or Lyft drivers. We are all out here just trying to pay the bills.

True, Uber and Lyft have taken a percentage of the taxicab business in Las Vegas. Based on current statistics, ride-sharing currently has about 15% to 25% of the Vegas taxicab business. And, I suspect, that percentage will grow over the following months and years. My firm expectation is that Uber wants to take over the taxicab industry, world-wide, implement self-driving cars, and be done with all of us! But that's just my, personal, theory.

For now, it seems, for those of us who need an income to survive, we are all slaves to either taxicab companies or to the so-called ride-sharing services.

After following this thread for so long I had SO much more to say. But, alas, this post is already way too long.

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for being another voice of reason on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Uber is not going to take over anything, if it thinks that lowering the rates constantly will appease the drivers. It went from 1.85 down to 1.10 down to I believe .90 or .85/mile. Close to that. Most jobs (if you do them well) get pay raises, uber rewards it's veteran drivers with constant pay decreases.
thats exactly why i parked the car,& q uit uber , im not working forfree, now im working for amazon, & plus amazon is in the process of phasing out usps , so more work available

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
I am a Las Vegas cab driver. I've been following this thread for quite some time. I decided to create an uberpeople account so I could 1) see screen shots and 2) post my thoughts.

For what they are worth, what follows are some of my many thoughts. (Testing the character limits of this forum, my "thoughts" may result in several posts.)

Over the past months I have read SO many posts here it's hard to know where to begin. Allow me to, perhaps, ramble for a bit….

True, Uber and Lyft have taken a percentage of the taxicab business in Las Vegas. Based on current statistics, ride-sharing currently has about 15% to 25% of the Vegas taxicab business. And, I suspect, that percentage will grow over the following months and years. My firm expectation is that Uber wants to take over the taxicab industry, world-wide, implement self-driving cars, and be done with all of us! But that's just my, personal, theory.

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

I agree. Well thought out. Taxi or uber we all are still working for the man. Taxi cartel and uber cartel are one and the same. The rich and the politicians decide our fate.!

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
thats exactly why i parked the car,& q uit uber , im not working forfree, now im working for amazon, & plus amazon is in the process of phasing out usps , so more work available
How much are you making driving for Amazon. I want to get on but their app only compatible to androids not iPhone. Wonder why?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for a wonderful post! I have driven Uber and a taxi. I believe you can make a Better Living driving your own Taxi as opposed to driving for Uber or leasing a taxi from a cab company.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Uber has never owner cars, they are a software company that supplies customers and software to drivers. When Uber starts using self driving cars they will, in all likelihood contract with people that own those cars. That means you and I can now own a fleet of Uber vehicles. The taxi industry is about to go the way of the horse and buggy. In Las Vegas, that will be a good thing.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I approve this message, lol. But you got to have fun and mess with them sometimes, never take nothing personal , at the end driving a cab or your car for tnc it's not the only job in
Uber has never owner cars, they are a software company that supplies customers and software to drivers. When Uber starts using self driving cars they will, in all likelihood contract with people that own those cars. That means you and I can now own a fleet of Uber vehicles. The taxi industry is about to go the way of the horse and buggy. In Las Vegas, that will be a good thing.

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

I

SUMMARY:

Thanks for reading.

I approve this message, lol. But you got to have fun and mess with them sometimes, after all driving a cab or tnc it's not the only job in the world. I have a couple friends driving for uber and lyft, and I really wish the best for them. Lets not cry now ok.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Don't you cabbies have anything else to complain about besides how bad Uber is. Your cab company is screwing you over on a daily basis and all you can whine about is Uber...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just a thought! When rideshare gets 51% of the cab business in Vegas does that mean we take over the cab lanes at the hotels!! Couple of weeks ago Excaliber and Luxor had 30 minute cab waits with no cabs at the main entrances. I was able to pickup my pax at the main entrance of Excaliber. Reason was the doorman stopped me as I was driving to the Royal entrance and asked if I could pick up some people for uber. They requested me on the spot and the pax explained to me the wait times at the hotels for cabs. Crazy that weekend. Never saw anything like it.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
the rate cuts hit really hard in vegas because with the low rates per mile and real short trips in traffic youre screwed

·
Registered
804 Posts
I approve this message, lol. But you got to have fun and mess with them sometimes, after all driving a cab or tnc it's not the only job in the world. I have a couple friends driving for uber and lyft, and I really wish the best for them. Lets not cry now ok.
You're not messing with anybody. Your lies have always been obvious and transparent in all your manifestations on this board.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I can tell you the selling point for limos and cabs: I don't use my own car, I don't pay for maintenance, and I don't pay for gas.
Asking a limo driver: how much do younger paid when you don't have a fare? $8.25/hour but we make it up when we get a fare on tip and kickbacks.
Then like the cabbies, they get a 40/60 split. Says he makes $500/ week. I almost hit the floor. You have to wear a suit, stage with a bunch of other coked up idiots driving big cars, and you only make $500/ week?
No wonder you guys hate us

·
Registered
304 Posts
Says he makes $500/ week. I almost hit the floor. You have to wear a suit, stage with a bunch of other coked up idiots driving big cars, and you only make $500/ week?
No wonder you guys hate us
Funniest thing I've ever read in this forum. There's a "guy" that I wouldn't rat out for the world cause he's a hell of a nice guy and a character, but he said to me that Limo's have been dead in Vegas for years. He only does it cause his "party packs sell all day long" and he rarely has to take rides in order to maintain a living. Take that FWIW.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I 100% agree with this post.

We are all trying to put food on the table... so focus on your own and quit wasting energy on all the BS back and forth.

I personally haven't had any bad experiences on the road with cabs (driving or in person) and hope it stays that way.

And, I still stick to my opinion that at this point in time rideshare makes sense as an extra money part-time gig. I feel anyone trying to make a living (as in their sole income) should head over to the cab business. Well, at least at this point in time.

Now, on the other hand if Uber/Lyft actually do take over and dominate the cab business things start to look a little different and everyone would need to adjust to what makes sense.

Oh, and for the record, if that ever happens whether I am driving or not here are the people that I hope get left holding the bag while trying to kiss our a** after shi*tting on us for so long...

- Valet
-Security
- Doormen

I mean, I was at Cosmo the other night and all the thru lane was being blocked by a limo guy with nothing better to do than talk to his other limo buddy. I waited like 3 minutes with not a blink in my direction. At the time, no one was coming and the valet was COMPLETELY empty and we all know rideshare pickup is right past the lines. So, I go thru... BAM some blonde boy band member jumped in front of my car... "This isn't your line." I know but limo guy over there is blocking and this lane is empty... "too bad go wait". I had to back up and go over to the thru lane just to wait a few more minutes.

Limo, taxi, shuttle go wherever and whenever if they need to adjust to a situation but we are not allowed EVER.

I understand these guys get a few buck thrown their way and all take care of each other.

All I can say is wait until the day Uber/Lyft do control transportation here with a majority of the business and all drivers who can't control what rides they get... and hotels who will not sacrifice their customers just so doormen, etc are happy. Sorry fellas cant guarantee me a strip club ride... nothing for you... and BTW remeber all those years you were an a**... oh, I'm so sorry your income got cut to a third.

I usually don't wish bad to anyone... and even in this case definitely don't wish harm... but the above mentioned are d*icks PERIOD end of story and if a little karma is due... well, sucks to be them. End of that rant :)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I 100% agree with this post.

We are all trying to put food on the table... so focus on your own and quit wasting energy on all the BS back and forth.

I personally haven't had any bad experiences on the road with cabs (driving or in person) and hope it stays that way.

And, I still stick to my opinion that at this point in time rideshare makes sense as an extra money part-time gig. I feel anyone trying to make a living (as in their sole income) should head over to the cab business. Well, at least at this point in time.

Now, on the other hand if Uber/Lyft actually do take over and dominate the cab business things start to look a little different and everyone would need to adjust to what makes sense.

Oh, and for the record, if that ever happens whether I am driving or not here are the people that I hope get left holding the bag while trying to kiss our a** after shi*tting on us for so long...

- Valet
-Security
- Doormen

I mean, I was at Cosmo the other night and all the thru lane was being blocked by a limo guy with nothing better to do than talk to his other limo buddy. I waited like 3 minutes with not a blink in my direction. At the time, no one was coming and the valet was COMPLETELY empty and we all know rideshare pickup is right past the lines. So, I go thru... BAM some blonde boy band member jumped in front of my car... "This isn't your line." I know but limo guy over there is blocking and this lane is empty... "too bad go wait". I had to back up and go over to the thru lane just to wait a few more minutes.

Limo, taxi, shuttle go wherever and whenever if they need to adjust to a situation but we are not allowed EVER.

I understand these guys get a few buck thrown their way and all take care of each other.

All I can say is wait until the day Uber/Lyft do control transportation here with a majority of the business and all drivers who can't control what rides they get... and hotels who will not sacrifice their customers just so doormen, etc are happy. Sorry fellas cant guarantee me a strip club ride... nothing for you... and BTW remeber all those years you were an a**... oh, I'm so sorry your income got cut to a third.

I usually don't wish bad to anyone... and even in this case definitely don't wish harm... but the above mentioned are d*icks PERIOD end of story and if a little karma is due... well, sucks to be them. End of that rant :)
Cab business is always gonna go up and down but they ain't going nowhere. Plus as an uber driver you want cabs around cause if uber monopolies the industry we will be driving for .25 a mile.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cab business is always gonna go up and down but they ain't going nowhere. Plus as an uber driver you want cabs around cause if uber monopolies the industry we will be driving for .25 a mile.
Not really what I meant. I'm fine with coexisting with cabs and to each their own how they put food on the table.

What I meant was Uber/Lyft are already cutting into marketshare and many believe it will continue. My point is once the marketshare shifts to the rideshare favor if it ever does (not meaning cabs are gone the marketshare has just flipped) then all those valet, doormen, security can eat it when they have to start eating crow for all of the abuse they dished out to Uber/Lyft drivers up until that point.

I've read that Uber/Lyft has already eaten into about a 25% market share... double that + 1 and it would be the majority mode of transportation... mind you this all happened in 1 year in the LV market. So, it does not look out of possibility.

Those rideshare pickup spots keep getting busier. And, NO not everyone is illegally staging. Sooner or later it will be seen that rideshare is serving more guest (aka. customer of hotels) and they will begin better accommodating as their goal is to serve their customer and they, in the end, don't give an F if the doorman can no longer get kickbacks from a cabbie. Guaranteed if that happens the valet/doorment/etc. will probably hate us more... but word will come from above when to stop the BS and if they are smart they will.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
D
Not really what I meant. I'm fine with coexisting with cabs and to each their own how they put food on the table.

What I meant was Uber/Lyft are already cutting into marketshare and many believe it will continue. My point is once the marketshare shifts to the rideshare favor if it ever does (not meaning cabs are gone the marketshare has just flipped) then all those valet, doormen, security can eat it when they have to start eating crow for all of the abuse they dished out to Uber/Lyft drivers up until that point.

I've read that Uber/Lyft has already eaten into about a 25% market share... double that + 1 and it would be the majority mode of transportation... mind you this all happened in 1 year in the LV market. So, it does not look out of possibility.

Those rideshare pickup spots keep getting busier. And, NO not everyone is illegally staging. Sooner or later it will be seen that rideshare is serving more guest (aka. customer of hotels) and they will begin better accommodating as their goal is to serve their customer and they, in the end, don't give an F if the doorman can no longer get kickbacks from a cabbie. Guaranteed if that happens the valet/doorment/etc. will probably hate us more... but word will come from above when to stop the BS and if they are smart they will.
Doormens bever got kick from cabbies it's the limo drivers kicked them back...I worked as doormen and limo and cabbbie and now uber trust me when I tell you this the Doormens hate cabbies as much as uber it's the limos they love

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think you're still kind of missing the point here.

Valet, doormen, security are well known a$$es to rideshare drivers regardless of their motivation. I have personally had a few questionable moments of crap they wouldn't dare pull on a cabbie. And, no I'm not a twenty-something driving a Kia.

The point... rideshare is gaining marketshare at an alarming rate and if it continues to the point of a majority share then it will be nice to operate with impunity as our counterparts (cabbies, limos, shuttles) currently enjoy.

BTW, I do appreciate the points you have made though... especially with your experiences... it is nice to know the facts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts