Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

Just wanted to check back and give a bit of insight to anyone who's thinking of jumping on to uber..
I done 6 weeks of driving,
Rented a car for £120 a week and insurance was an extra £73 a week, £193 in total,
I did not drive a hybrid and could do a 12 hour shift on roughly £20 of diesel in the tank,

So if you are looking to start driving and will be renting a car,
YOU MUST
Be willing to put in 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week,
Not be a part timer as it will not work,

For a 12 hour shift ( and I mean 12 hours driving, not counting coffee breaks,food breaks, toilet etc), and I've done morning to night, night to morning, weekdays, weekends. So with breaks etc lets put this working day at 13 hours.....

This is for 12 hours logged on driving....
You will roughly be able to make £200 before any costs and expenses, taxes etc.
So £200
Minus
Ubers %20 -so now £160
£20 fuel -so now £140
Rental and insurance over a 5 day week @ roughly £40 a day- so now £100
Food and drink £10 a day- so now £90
Car wash at least once a week but I done mine twice so take that into consideration (outside twice, inside once) so that's another £15 - so that's £87 a day

This is without even thinking about tax ( I know a lot will be able to be offset) but just bear that in mind also..

So just talking about 12 hours driving works out to £7:25 an hour

If you count the extra hour for breaks so 13 hours then it's £6:69 an hour

And if you want to get deeper then if it's a half hour commute before and after like me before your even in a money making zone making it a 14 hour day then it's £6:20 an hour

And may I just add that some days you will not even hit that £200 a day Mark,
Now you newbies will be thinking I'm lying, and why do people do it etc...
My answer to that is frankly I have no clue but it seems good money before you start doing your sums and working out what your really taking home,

The fares are too cheap,way too cheap, actually so cheap they make me sick sometimes.

I feel sorry for drivers that have jumped in head first and have been promised this and that and there's mates have told them how great it is and they've gone and got financed up to the eye balls.

I'm not trying to put you off I'm just merely stating the facts that I have learned from personal experience.

Good luck if your still interested in joining

And just a quick disclaimer, this is not meant to offend any veteran drivers, this is just my personal experiences. I don't know if you have some formula that I haven't twigged but i have noticed a lot of drivers work for a rank and do a bit of uberwhen it's quiet which I think would help out. All I know is I was non stop and never was really without a fare in the car for long so it wasn't a lack of jobs but more a price thats way too low.

Sorry for the long windedness of it.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great appraisal of earnings potential. Please don't forget that a parking ticket, 'speeding' ticket, ticket for running a red light or other misdemeanour will seriously affect your bottom line.
That's not even thinking about the odd prang which would probably end up being funded from your own pocket in order to avoid insurance cost hikes next time around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi guys,

Just wanted to check back and give a bit of insight to anyone who's thinking of jumping on to uber..
I done 6 weeks of driving,
Rented a car for £120 a week and insurance was an extra £73 a week, £193 in total,
I did not drive a hybrid and could do a 12 hour shift on roughly £20 of diesel in the tank,

So if you are looking to start driving and will be renting a car,
YOU MUST
Be willing to put in 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week,
Not be a part timer as it will not work,

For a 12 hour shift ( and I mean 12 hours driving, not counting coffee breaks,food breaks, toilet etc), and I've done morning to night, night to morning, weekdays, weekends. So with breaks etc lets put this working day at 13 hours.....

This is for 12 hours logged on driving....
You will roughly be able to make £200 before any costs and expenses, taxes etc.
So £200
Minus
Ubers %20 -so now £160
£20 fuel -so now £140
Rental and insurance over a 5 day week @ roughly £40 a day- so now £100
Food and drink £10 a day- so now £90
Car wash at least once a week but I done mine twice so take that into consideration (outside twice, inside once) so that's another £15 - so that's £87 a day

This is without even thinking about tax ( I know a lot will be able to be offset) but just bear that in mind also..

So just talking about 12 hours driving works out to £7:25 an hour

If you count the extra hour for breaks so 13 hours then it's £6:69 an hour

And if you want to get deeper then if it's a half hour commute before and after like me before your even in a money making zone making it a 14 hour day then it's £6:20 an hour

And may I just add that some days you will not even hit that £200 a day Mark,
Now you newbies will be thinking I'm lying, and why do people do it etc...
My answer to that is frankly I have no clue but it seems good money before you start doing your sums and working out what your really taking home,

The fares are too cheap,way too cheap, actually so cheap they make me sick sometimes.

I feel sorry for drivers that have jumped in head first and have been promised this and that and there's mates have told them how great it is and they've gone and got financed up to the eye balls.

I'm not trying to put you off I'm just merely stating the facts that I have learned from personal experience.

Good luck if your still interested in joining

And just a quick disclaimer, this is not meant to offend any veteran drivers, this is just my personal experiences. I don't know if you have some formula that I haven't twigged but i have noticed a lot of drivers work for a rank and do a bit of uberwhen it's quiet which I think would help out. All I know is I was non stop and never was really without a fare in the car for long so it wasn't a lack of jobs but more a price thats way too low.

Sorry for the long windedness of it.......
Well said, you've only offended THE DELUSIONAL drivers that try to justify their earnings by pretending their car isn't falling apart with every mile they are driving for L-Uber.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And what's the problem? In Romania drivers take €2 each hour. This is the land of hope and glory!

Long live uber.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't know if you have some formula that I haven't twigged but i have noticed a lot of drivers work for a rank and do a bit of uberwhen it's quiet which I think would help out.
That's the way it should be done. Use Uber to supplement your earnings when you're quiet with your own work. The intention was to utilise existing drivers during their downtime.

It's possible to work for UberX solely but as you mentioned you have to work very hard, with experience and luck on your side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm doing alright on 40 hours a week.

Just work 3 early mornings and 3 late nights.

Work smart, not hard.
It's good to hear something positive in terms of earning. I'm curious, are you working in London? As someone considering starting from scratch as a driver, what do you reckon is the smartest way to earn ok money? Could it work doing 6 hours a day, 5 days a week in London?

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's good to hear something positive in terms of earning. I'm curious, are you working in London? As someone considering starting from scratch as a driver, what do you reckon is the smartest way to earn ok money? Could it work doing 6 hours a day, 5 days a week in London?
Depends what you call "ok money" mate. For me, its more like doing 40 hours week. Mon-Thu 3 hours each. Till the early hours Friday and Saturday night. Whatever on Sunday.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live quite far out in North London. Mainly work in London and sometimes get jobs a bit further out ie. Watford, St. Albans.

You have to just do it and see what works best for you. But you HAVE to be flexible before going into PH.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice post Jayjay25.

Isn't it amazing that even "on the other side of the pond", our experiences as drivers are almost a mirror-image of each other no matter what country we are in?

Maybe it isn't all that amazing, because when you analyze the situation, it is obvious that Uber,(after a limited time of higher compensation for drivers), learns how to wring every ounce of potential hope out of the sweat-stained, sore-muscled, bleary-eyed drivers that work for them. Regardless of the country, age, gender, race, intelligence quotient, et cetera.

What started out as a viable income for many, devolved into a dawning realization of doom that overtakes every driver at some point. Some UberX drivers still have their psyche protected by the foggy math(s) delirium, which is a good thing if they don't have any other options in the short term.

I'm beginning to think that Travis Kalanick is possibly the anti-Christ, or maybe just a conduit for the upcoming anti-Christ.(Pick any evil entity of your choosing, I'm not trying to bring religion into this).

I have been doing this for about 2 months now, part-time along with Lyft, as I work on a more lucrative livelihood. Thank God there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and "this too shall pass".

To supplement the meager Uber/Lyft income, I have become rather adept at posting things that I really no longer need on Craigslist...by the time I run out of things that I want to sell, I will be able to cut loose this succubus that is Uber! I don't have the same animosity towards Lyft...might even do 2 or 3 hours a week with them for fun.

I'm rambling, but felt like sharing a heartfelt response to your post. I read this whole forum quite extensively, but don't post very often.

Have a good one, and good luck with any other endeavors! Goodwill to all the other drivers that are reading this too :cool:

·
Banned
550 Posts
Some 3000 years ago, the disciples had asked their prophet in the language of prophet Abraham about the signs of doomsday, to which the prophet replied;
a time shall come on earth
when nothing could be bought nor sold without the knowledge of the beast, and the mark of the beast is 666.

In the abrahamic language 666 translates to www.

and yes that's a real prophecy that have been known to man for over 3000 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Revelation is intense pingpongman :)

I'm looking forward to whatever is revealed to me in my lifetime. No man knows the day, so I just try and listen to the still small voice as it directs my path...

"Carry on my wayward son...there will be Peace when you are done..." Kansas

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Why the hell are you a PHdriver driving on uber? Go get a different job. Ifyou know its bad then you should not be on uber.
People want the freedom of a job also being ur own boss. Its stil better then earning £200 in a retail job.
You go work when you want.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Some 3000 years ago, the disciples had asked their prophet in the language of prophet Abraham about the signs of doomsday, to which the prophet replied;
a time shall come on earth
when nothing could be bought nor sold without the knowledge of the beast, and the mark of the beast is 666.

In the abrahamic language 666 translates to www.

and yes that's a real prophecy that have been known to man for over 3000 years.
In the interest of reason, 666 does not equal www.
But it wouldn't matter anyway as 666 is a mis-translation and should actually be 616.
But even more than that, the anti-christ doesn't, hasn't, and never will exist.
Carry on.

·
Registered
977 Posts
One, two, Freddie coming for you/ Three, four, better lock your door / Five, six, grab your crucifix / Seven, eight, gonna stay up late / Nine, ten, never sleep again.
You guys creeping me out

1 - 20 of 39 Posts