Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trust me you do not want to pickup from MSP terminal 1 or 2 via Uber. Tonight I decided to try Uber for Airport pickups since Uber is busier than Lyft but once I paid the $6 and got inside the waiting area, the pax never arrived and said he lost his bag somewhere via text messages. All of this time he had me wait without telling me this and I had to text him and call him to see what is going on. The longer I am there the more money the parking meter will run so it came to $8 and after waiting a long time I cancelled and left after I told him I am canceling. Once I left I got my cancel fee but when I did the in app fare review I got a reply from a guy in India who doesn't speak English and the guy said "Thank you for being honest, I made the fare $0" so I replied with a photo of the ticket that machine gave me showing what i was charged and I told the indian guy that whatever he talked about wasn't related to what I sent in.

So I got a reply from a guy with an English name and perfect English and he said "Sorry since no passenger was picked up you can't get a toll." I replied and informed him "Are you saying that if I arrive at Airport and have to pay $6 just to get to area where passengers wait, and that passenger cancells for whatever reason--that I won't see my $6 come back to me so I effectively just paid to drive there.?"

So now I am hearing to wait back from him, I told him time to activate the Good ol Lyft for the Airport since Lyft has reimbursed me in the past when a situation like that happened before after I emailed them about it.

Another reason you should avoid Uber pickups at the Airport (as a driver) is because of the weird attitudes and behaviors I noticed, Passengers are putting pins away from airport and in Veterans health or MOA just so they can avoid the $6 fee and they even tell me this, I asked one guy and he said 'Yes that is to avoid the fee" and I told him regardless of what your doing I will still report it and get my $6 back because I paid for that $6 via a Toll. **** his bad rating if he gave me one. The airport is a complete freaking mess. Now I am beginning to Understand why so many people quit this stuff. God I hope Lyft doesn't go away.

·
Premium Member
65,625 Posts
Trust me you do not want to pickup from MSP terminal 1 or 2 via Uber. Tonight I decided to try Uber for Airport pickups since Uber is busier than Lyft but once I paid the $6 and got inside the waiting area, the pax never arrived and said he lost his bag somewhere via text messages. All of this time he had me wait without telling me this and I had to text him and call him to see what is going on. The longer I am there the more money the parking meter will run so it came to $8 and after waiting a long time I cancelled and left after I told him I am canceling. Once I left I got my cancel fee but when I did the in app fare review I got a reply from a guy in India who doesn't speak English and the guy said "Thank you for being honest, I made the fare $0" so I replied with a photo of the ticket that machine gave me showing what i was charged and I told the indian guy that whatever he talked about wasn't related to what I sent in.

So I got a reply from a guy with an English name and perfect English and he said "Sorry since no passenger was picked up you can't get a toll." I replied and informed him "Are you saying that if I arrive at Airport and have to pay $6 just to get to area where passengers wait, and that passenger cancells for whatever reason--that I won't see my $6 come back to me so I effectively just paid to drive there.?"

So now I am hearing to wait back from him, I told him time to activate the Good ol Lyft for the Airport since Lyft has reimbursed me in the past when a situation like that happened before after I emailed them about it.

Another reason you should avoid Uber pickups at the Airport (as a driver) is because of the weird attitudes and behaviors I noticed, Passengers are putting pins away from airport and in Veterans health or MOA just so they can avoid the $6 fee and they even tell me this, I asked one guy and he said 'Yes that is to avoid the fee" and I told him regardless of what your doing I will still report it and get my $6 back because I paid for that $6 via a Toll. &%[email protected]!* his bad rating if he gave me one. The airport is a complete freaking mess. Now I am beginning to Understand why so many people quit this stuff. God I hope Lyft doesn't go away.
Uber TRAINS them to be cheap & insufferable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You don't get the toll back unless you perform the ride/get the passenger in your car. Everyone knows this and it's been discussed here before.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
...........Now I am beginning to Understand why so many people quit this stuff. God I hope Lyft doesn't go away.
Lyft openly discusses the fact that their end game is to have a fleet of driverless cars so eventually (and yes, it will be many years down the road), it won't be much of an option for us mere mortals.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lyft openly discusses the fact that their end game is to have a fleet of driverless cars so eventually (and yes, it will be many years down the road), it won't be much of an option for us mere mortals.
No way people will feel comfortable taking a self driving car. Just watch. Especially in snowy winter places.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't get the toll back unless you perform the ride/get the passenger in your car. Everyone knows this and it's been discussed here before.
Lmao so if a person can't find their bag after you already paid $6 to get in or they cancel for some reason then your screwed of the $6? so its a risk huh? Come risk $6 for a chance to make $12 to $14. No different than Lottery.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
No way people will feel comfortable taking a self driving car. Just watch. Especially in snowy winter places.
The self driving vehicles will be part of our lives sooner than you think. You and I have no way of knowing where we will be in 20 years but I would be willing to bet $100 that there will be driverless vehicles on the public roadways in Minnesota within 20 years. Google has over 1.5 million miles on their driverless cars, major truck manufacturers in Europe have already driven "platoons" of semis across several countries on public highways, and even the tractors in a lot of farm fields around here are already driving themselves. Let me know if you want to place that bet.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The self driving vehicles will be part of our lives sooner than you think. You and I have no way of knowing where we will be in 20 years but I would be willing to bet $100 that there will be driverless vehicles on the public roadways in Minnesota within 20 years. Google has over 1.5 million miles on their driverless cars, major truck manufacturers in Europe have already driven "platoons" of semis across several countries on public highways, and even the tractors in a lot of farm fields around here are already driving themselves. Let me know if you want to place that bet.
Lyft will find out they made a mistake if they replace all drivers with self driving cars. Similar to that mistake they made by asking for donations from people instead of charging them like a normal service would charge people. The cost of maintaining and staffing people just to manage those self driving cars remotely will make Lyft pocket hurt. Its understandable if they supplemented self driving cars with existing drivers but seriously how can it all become just self driving cars? That would have to mean Lyft would have to buy or lease all of those cars and put insurance in them (not just rideshare insurance when passenger is in car) but all around insurance even when no passenger is in self driving car.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
Those vehicles had drivers in them. The vehicles may have been self controlled, but a person at the wheel is required by law.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
Lyft will find out they made a mistake if they replace all drivers with self driving cars. Similar to that mistake they made by asking for donations from people instead of charging them like a normal service would charge people. The cost of maintaining and staffing people just to manage those self driving cars remotely will make Lyft pocket hurt. Its understandable if they supplemented self driving cars with existing drivers but seriously how can it all become just self driving cars? That would have to mean Lyft would have to buy or lease all of those cars and put insurance in them (not just rideshare insurance when passenger is in car) but all around insurance even when no passenger is in self driving car.
The rates would have to be substantially higher to pay for vehicles and maintainance they now don't pay for. I intend to use the Uber as a rolling toilet on my way to work every morning, for example.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Lmao so if a person can't find their bag after you already paid $6 to get in or they cancel for some reason then your screwed of the $6? so its a risk huh? Come risk $6 for a chance to make $12 to $14. No different than Lottery.
But you can ignore airport ping and get other ping instead, especially Surges. Not to mention the stresses from contacting passenger and time wasted. It is more calculated risk if airport surges at least 1.5x to be worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Lyft also won't reinburse the $6, but at least the no show covers $5. I've had this happen only once with about 100 MSP pickups since last fall. With the last round of fare reductions several months ago I stopped working the airport unless I am dropping off a passenger during heavy flight arrival times. Two main reasons. The main one is the risk of too many dead miles at the current low mileage rates, for example trips to Rogers or Northfield (I've had both).

Second, Lyft Prime Time at the airport is very hit or miss. I thought I was accepting Prime Time many times only to drop and find base fare. If the passenger happened to order the Lyft on a concourse as they are walking to baggage claim, many times they avoid the fare increase, just sloppy programming on Lyft's part, as is the never formally acknowledged geofence that lopped off some of the better off airport waiting areas, just sloppy.

On the plus side, I have had some VERY nice tips from airport pax.

( I always hit "Arrived" before providing my CC at the Commercial area toll gate to make sure I can at least get the cancel fee.)

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I generally have better experiences with my Lyft customers than Uber ones.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The rates would have to be substantially higher to pay for vehicles and maintainance they now don't pay for. I intend to use the Uber as a rolling toilet on my way to work every morning, for example.
I'd leave rotisserie chickens underneath the seat of every driverless ride I took. Maggot party in 1 weeks time!

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd leave rotisserie chickens underneath the seat of every driverless ride I took. Maggot party in 1 weeks time!
News will be on publishing when they hear someone stole parts off a self driving car. If an Uber pax can steal a floor mat. Imagine what else they can do when a person isn't in car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got reimbursed last week for a ride the week before - it took several round trips to Uber support ("Try rebooting your device - I'm sure that will solve your problem") but I persisted and eventually they credited me with $6.00. It wasn't worth it except on principal.....

·
Registered
724 Posts
I got reimbursed last week for a ride the week before - it took several round trips to Uber support ("Try rebooting your device - I'm sure that will solve your problem") but I persisted and eventually they credited me with $6.00. It wasn't worth it except on principal.....
Why not do no-show cancellation, get $5 cancellation fee, and move on ? Then you don't have to deal with the hassle of several emails (and assuming you will ever get $6 back).

·
Registered
166 Posts
News will be on publishing when they hear someone stole parts off a self driving car. If an Uber pax can steal a floor mat. Imagine what else they can do when a person isn't in car.
Yeah ever seen californication?! I'd be f'ing and punching some random gal in the back seat. Hell why not the front seat?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts