Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see why people complain about waiting for a pax, I make $8.40 if I wait an hour with the car off, no gas usage and no wear and tear it is better than most fares. I just picked up a couple guys that need a prescription filled, they asked if I would wait...on a slow Wednesday night in a town that never surges, damn straight I will.

I understand if it is a busy Friday or Saturday and it is surging but slow nights I love the long shopping waits.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I wait 5 minutes. I tell them that so they can save money and I let them know waiting gets us a little over minimum wage. They can pay me in cash to wait longer or get another uber. You might think you are only worth $8.60 but I am not somebody's ***** for minimum wage.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
I don't see why people complain about waiting for a pax, I make $8.40 if I wait an hour with the car off, no gas usage and no wear and tear it is better than most fares. I just picked up a couple guys that need a prescription filled, they asked if I would wait...on a slow Wednesday night in a town that never surges, damn straight I will.

I understand if it is a busy Friday or Saturday and it is surging but slow nights I love the long shopping waits.
turning off the car isn't too great option when it's 100 degrees in Houston. Maybe it works wherever you are if you like minimum wage (less here).

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turning off the car isn't too great option when it's 100 degrees in Houston. Maybe it works wherever you are if you like minimum wage (less here).
I could be sitting around waiting for a ride for free or getting paid 100% of the time. Like i said, busy days no way but a monday-wednesday night time, I'll wait no problem.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wait 5 minutes. I tell them that so they can save money and I let them know waiting gets us a little over minimum wage. They can pay me in cash to wait longer or get another uber. You might think you are only worth $8.60 but I am not somebody's ***** for minimum wage.
$1.10 per mile is minimum wage unless you have a rider in your car every single minute of the hour, factor in all costs of running your car and most hours you are below.

·
Banned
919 Posts
$1.10 per mile is minimum wage unless you have a rider in your car every single minute of the hour, factor in all costs of running your car and most hours you are below.
I run my rides on ride share basis so it is almost all profit. I also do Saturday which is 85% surge rides. I would rather drive at $1.10 smartly (I know that could be an oxymoron) then sit around in the heat making a tad over minimum wage and be someone's personal chauffeur. 5 minutes or you pay me in cash or save precious pennies and call another Uber when they are ready to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with this - but I think it totally depends on your area/market like others have said. In the itty-bitty town where I drive, and where Uber has just become 'a thing', where it is mostly college kids who know about it/use it, I've been thrilled on the occasion I get an older person at 7 o'clock in the evening who needs me to run them to the grocery store and wait. I never get a rider at all at 7 o'clock in the evening except for these kinds of things. If I weren't waiting with the for-sure thing, no matter how many cents/minute, I'd be reading my book for $0.00/minute, hoping someone will ping me before my kid is done with dance class.

But, I also see the reverse side. If I were driving in a big/busy city somewhere that I knew as soon as I drop off person A, I'll be pinged immediately for person B, I wouldn't want to wait either.

It's not who is worth more, I think, so much as why/when/where are you driving.

For me, this was a completely flexible use of time that is normally spent waiting for my daughter. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, she has class for 4 hours each evening and Sunday it's a 6 hour class. We live too far from the studio (40 minute one-way) to make it worth while to drop her off and drive home again, so Uber has been PERFECT for me. None of these times are ever going to be a 'surge' time - but they're also not ever going to be peak drunk idiot time, either. :D

Do I wish I had more customers? Heck yes! Tuesday this week, I had zero riders at all. Not a single ping. Tonight, I had 4. (Ladies' night at most of the campus and downtown bars!) I probably won't make more than $30-50/week. So in my situation, in my market, if some polite person asks me to wait a bit while they run in and get some groceries, my answer will be a very prompt 'yes'.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run my rides on ride share basis so it is almost all profit. I also do Saturday which is 85% surge rides. I would rather drive at $1.10 smartly (I know that could be an oxymoron) then sit around in the heat making a tad over minimum wage and be someone's personal chauffeur. 5 minutes or you pay me in cash or save precious pennies and call another Uber when they are ready to go.
So you are a very part time driver is you only take a ride that is going towards where you are already going which I assume is work and home and on weekends where you are lucky enough to get surges. Miami, surges have all but disappeared and the market is saturated all to hell. Come winter time it will pick up and waiting will make no sense, right now when all the tourists are gone a sure thing is better than nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I waited last night for 7 min. Pax called me to verify that she was coming out. Turned out to be a $36 fare. Also took me to a surge area. Glad I waited.

·
24,233 Posts
What the Original Poster asserts is that pennies are better than nothing. Some people have the luxury of waiting for surges. Some people drive part-time, only, and their working hours are when there are frequent surges. Some people work the areas where there always are surges. Not everyone is the same.

Given the choice of taking the pennies or taking nothing, I will take the pennies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts