Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did 20 rides one day and every one of the asshats made me wait the full 3 minutes each before coming out to the car. So I worked an hour for free just for waiting. And when I told them about it they had no idea I arrived. Getting sick of that excuse. Had a guy yesterday ask me to come back in 15 minutes so he could finish his beer, I laughed real hard as I drove away and checked the rider never showed up.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Besides, you got paid the $6.60 for waiting which is what you agreed to. "The wait time is included in the fare."

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
I picked up a woman today, and the app told her I was 5 minutes away. 3 minutes into the ride it told her I was 2 minutes away. Good thing that Uber is a technology company. Anyway, maybe that's what happened on your 20 rides.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I picked up a woman today, and the app told her I was 5 minutes away. 3 minutes into the ride it told her I was 2 minutes away. Good thing that Uber is a technology company. Anyway, maybe that's what happened on your 20 rides.
some if you really need to use the ride app as a passanger, and you wiil soon see all is not 100% for the passanger, most passangers are not A-Holes,
some times are reasons why a passanger can't be standing right outside when you show up.

waiting is part of the pickup

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
After hearing dozens of times, over several weeks and months, that the rider app had indicated that I was 3 or 5 or 7 minutes away when I'd already arrived and parked, my standard protocol is:
  1. Immediately after accepting a request, send "I'm on my way"
  2. If applicable, every 5 minutes while en route, send "I'm on my way" (yes again, so sometimes they'll get this one 3 times)
  3. When one minute away (per driver app), send "Two minutes away"
  4. When 20 seconds away from either the PIN or, if available, the rider location icon, send "I've arrived" (by this point, I'm already in the residential complex or on their street or parking lot if it's a business)

·
Registered
687 Posts
I did 20 rides one day and every one of the asshats made me wait the full 3 minutes each before coming out to the car. So I worked an hour for free just for waiting. And when I told them about it they had no idea I arrived. Getting sick of that excuse. Had a guy yesterday ask me to come back in 15 minutes so he could finish his beer, I laughed real hard as I drove away and checked the rider never showed up.
The problem is this, the display on the rider app is about a few minutes behind when you actually arrive.

You can catch pax looking at their phones and sneak up on them, which is good to check them out and keep driving if you wish.

Another tactic.is to announce you arrived about a few minutes before you actually do, then the pax is looking around when you drive up and you know it's them usually.

When you arrive you send the text and after a minute you call them as they likely put down their phone or forgot they ordered an Uber.

In order to dispell the possible angry pax that thinks your rushing them, you text or ask if this is the correct address as you don't see anyone outside waiting to get in. 😁.

If they ask further, you tell them that some pax drop a pin and it's not accurate, so your making sure your not waiting at the wrong location.😉.

But really you are trying to rush them, they should be waiting to be picked up, not getting the check.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The problem is this, the display on the rider app is about a few minutes behind when you actually arrive.

You can catch pax looking at their phones and sneak up on them, which is good to check them out and keep driving if you wish.

Another tactic.is to announce you arrived about a few minutes before you actually do, then the pax is looking around when you drive up and you know it's them usually.

When you arrive you send the text and after a minute you call them as they likely put down their phone or forgot they ordered an Uber.

In order to dispell the possible angry pax that thinks your rushing them, you text or ask if this is the correct address as you don't see anyone outside waiting to get in. 😁.

If they ask further, you tell them that some pax drop a pin and it's not accurate, so your making sure your not waiting at the wrong location.😉.

But really you are trying to rush them, they should be waiting to be picked up, not getting the check.
"But really you are trying to rush them, they should be waiting to be picked up, not getting the check."

have you been a passanger, every waited outside and been cancelled a few times waiting to be picked-up
not always safe to stand around outside, if you can't wait a few minutes for a passanger - go flip burger.

·
Registered
687 Posts
"But really you are trying to rush them, they should be waiting to be picked up, not getting the check."

have you been a passenger, every waited outside and been cancelled a few times waiting to be picked-up
not always safe to stand around outside, if you can't wait a few minutes for a passanger - go flip burger.
If they are not out by the timer, I call them and collect my fee.

This isn't the taxi business, other Uber drivers intentionally send other Uber drivers red herrings so they can get that driver away from a location to pickup a more valuable pax.

So yea, I'm going to rush them and check if it's a legit trip.

Problem with it? Tough titty. 😆

·
Registered
687 Posts
After hearing dozens of times, over several weeks and months, that the rider app had indicated that I was 3 or 5 or 7 minutes away when I'd already arrived and parked, my standard protocol is:
  1. Immediately after accepting a request, send "I'm on my way"
  2. If applicable, every 5 minutes while en route, send "I'm on my way" (yes again, so sometimes they'll get this one 3 times)
  3. When one minute away (per driver app), send "Two minutes away"
  4. When 20 seconds away from either the PIN or, if available, the rider location icon, send "I've arrived"
I agree, good approach.

I like it when they respond so I know it's not a herring. Those who throw herrings often don't respond as they feel guilty.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
have you been a passanger, every waited outside and been cancelled a few times waiting to be picked-up
Sounds like victims of the SS .

This isn't the taxi business, other Uber drivers intentionally send other Uber drivers red herrings so they can get that driver away from a location to pickup a more valuable pax.
Some really have some crazy kind of downtime.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If they are not out by the timer, I call them and collect my fee.

So yea, I'm going to rush them and check if it's a legit trip.

Problem with it? Tough titty. 😆
Taxi business, you are talking to a ex taxi driver nearly 12 years total
do you think i was paid for waiting for passanger to come to car, up to 5 to 10 mins was the norm, and no cancel fees for no shows,
you think every fare was $20 to $100 bucks, most fairs was $5 to $10, i worked riverside and san san bernardino, The IE,
the taxi car rental was around $500 per week plus gas driving a car that got less than 20 MPG,
YOU ARE RIGHT YOU NOT A TAXI, you could not handel beening a taxi driver to save your life.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You could not handel beening a taxi driver to save your life.
Actually I was a taxi driver for 4 years before doing Uber.

That's how I know the difference.

With Uber the app shows the driver coming and the pax know when the driver is going to arrive and when they do. It's not like a taxi where the pax don't know squat.

Not only that, Uber shows the rider how many minutes away is the closest available driver, before they even confirm pickup!

So there really is little excuse to delay the driver.

I weigh the situation if the pax/trip is worth waiting extra for or not, if not I make them wait for the next driver, perhaps they will be ready then. 😆

If I'm pissed because pax took 15 minutes to get in, that's going to be an issue and most certainly a one star.

So why bother when I can shuffle them to another driver?

With the alogrithm, there is no angry communication between the dispatcher and the pax, then the dispatcher gets on the drivers case, the alogrithm just sends the next closest vehicle.

So your getting angry is because of your training, something to unlearn if or when your doing Uber.

**** em and Shuffle them. 😆

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Actually I was a taxi driver for 4 years before doing Uber.

That's how I know the difference.

With Uber the app shows the driver coming and the pax know when the driver is going to arrive and when they do. It's not like a taxi where the pax don't know squat.

Not only that, Uber shows the rider how many minutes away is the closest available driver, before they even confirm pickup!

So there really is little excuse to delay the driver.

I weigh the situation if the pax/trip is worth waiting extra for or not, if not I make them wait for the next driver, perhaps they will be ready then. 😆

If I'm pissed because pax took 15 minutes to get in, that's going to be an issue and most certainly a one star.

So why bother when I can shuffle them to another driver?

With the alogrithm, there is no angry communication between the dispatcher and the pax, then the dispatcher gets on the drivers case, the alogrithm just sends the next closest vehicle.

So your getting angry is because of your training, something to unlearn if or when your doing Uber.

**** em and Shuffle them. 😆
sorry your only experience is a P_O_S taxi company, our DDS called passanger on taxi arrival,
one taxi company i worked for even did local food delivery, cost was $10 per delivery.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I did 20 rides one day and every one of the asshats made me wait the full 3 minutes each before coming out to the car.
The important thing to not here, which you seemingly forgot to mention: Uber conveniently and graciously doesn't count standing time as driving time so you could go make up for that unpaid hour by continuing the cycle. 😆 🤣 😂

·
Registered
687 Posts
...our DDS called passenger on taxi arrival,
And what happens if the pax doesn't appear for 15 minutes? There's a pickup location discrepancy?

That's 15 minutes lost plus the new time to get to the correct location etc.

On Uber the driver can see the location of the pax and drive to them, instead of where they say they are.

If we as Uber drivers consistently lose 15 minutes dicking around trying to find the pax or the pax dick's around not coming out, it's just not worth doing for the crap compensation they give. .15 cents a minute, ha!

When I did taxi, I would charge wait time fee of $1 per minute if they were not in the vehicle within 3 minutes of me arriving.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Like I told you before, I live in the Uber version of the Upside Down. 🙃

Trip volume is low
We get paid to deadhead.
We Uber from our homes.
Competition is fierce
Long trips preferred.
Short trips undesirable, but we have to.
We often pickup the same pax.
To make money we have to work long days

Nothing alien about it, it's just the way it is.
Adapt or die. 💎.

Red pill or Blue pill with your herring sir?🎏

😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
It happens all the time in my market too. Sheesh Uber! Get it together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts