Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I'm venting or seeking advice.

I posted earlier asking if you throw a Pax out earlier after I encountered 4 highly intoxicated men from Chicago wanting to tip me by performing different sexual acts upon me. As I said in that post they were harmless just drunk horny jerks.

Well I'd much rather have 4 horny guys than Two violent paxs. I was stupid enough to do another 12-2am. Picked up two drunks from California who dropped the pin in wrong area. Had to drive around the cab/Lyft/uber rush hour of double parked cars with hazards on waiting for paxs. To get to their real destination.

I could get drunk off the smell of these two. Front seat guy seemed ok at first. Back seat guy jerk. Just as the ride began he called me the C word that rhymes with runt. I stopped the car immediately turned around and said I will not tolerate such disrespect in my car. You either respect me in my car or you can get out. He apologized.

So the guy in the front seat started in on the guy in the backseat. Using cuss words I haven't heard before. I stopped the car again. Said last warning, in my car you respect me as your driver, my vehicle, and each other. I will not tolerate you two yelling at each other. In return I promise to get you to your hotel quickly and safely. Their hotel not far from downtown but not downtown. Located in an isolated industrial area

Front seat guy keeps on belittling back seat guy even further until back seat guy punches the front seat of the car,?then punches his friend in the front set. Then backseat boy started pulling on my clothes yanking on my clothes. Obviously my two warnings were ignored.

Now I'm scared. Not knowing what to do. If this guy would punch his friend without second thought couldn't imagine what he'd do to me.

Ready to end the ride right then and there. It would have been a great mind f$ck to kick them to the curb right then and there and fun to watch the two stumble around trying to figure out how to go the remaining 1/2 mile to hotel. Which happens to be in the center of an industrial park. The road to this area has no streetlights and if you didn't know the area you'd think your the middle of no where.

Oh did I forget to mention it was cold, wet, and snowing? Making my fantasy even better of leaving them on the side of the road.

Then reality hit in. Ive heard of too many times of drunk pax getting violent with their drivers when a driver throws a pax out. Didn't want to make things worse for me even though it would be funny making them walk. But as I mentioned the backseat pax already demonstrated he was violent guy.

I choose to just get them to hotel as fast as possible and get this ride over with. This is when I'm really loving having an all wheel drive twin turbo Volvo. Pedal to the metal as they say, and the car takes off. I was still driving safely not going to damage my car for these jerks. Just wanted them out of my car ASAP!

Pulled up to hotel a few minutes later. Front seat guy tried to apologize and asked if I had change for a $20. I should of said no and hope he'd give me the twenty dollar drunk a$$hole surcharge but too honest. Gave him back $10. Didn't say a word. And sped off.

That was the longest 8 minutes of my life! Seemed like time stood still. And even though it was surging only got paid $8 bucks for a ride that could have ended up with me getting hurt.

Now it's 1:45 surging high downtown. Get an immediate ping - accepted it before realizing the pax was outsmarting the surge by ordering an UberSelect. So I canceled the trip and reported the cancelation bc GPS was down and couldn't find the pax.

I did have GPS failure earlier on another ride which also I reported. All my GPS devices were not working, waze, uber, Apple maps, and Google. Guessing due to weather bc GPS was coming and going all day.

Kept ignoring the UberSelect pings. My last pickup was UberPool. At least I still get surge pricing. Although not supposed to deviate from map, i did. I really was fed up with uber in general at this point. The couple I picked up were a really cute nice couple. So I went out of the way to take BF home then completed trip dropping GF home.

Actually they were perfect pax and the reason why I will do the late night drive. To safely get nice kids home after a fun night at the bars. Wish uber was around when I used to party like a rockstar in my twenties.

Although she didn't tip, (so she didn't get 5*), she was a sweet girl and enjoyed our conversation to her home. So the night at least ended up on a positive experience.

Logged off. Then went in and filed more help reports in one night than all the reports totaled since I started driving. The first three were early on when I got my revenge on the pax from the night before and I changed their ratings and reported one for them for b1txhing at me the whole way bc he was late for dinner but ordered UberPool bc he has a cheep a$$.

The I had to report the real GPS outages during earlier drives. Then reported the GPS outage for my reason for canceling on a pax who tried to cheat the surge system by ordering UberSelect. Then I filed the critical rider report about the two pax.

Seriously, what does a girl do? I did not feel safe. Backseat pax was being violent in my car towards his friend then somewhat towards me. Didn't want to escalate things by leaving them on the curb- intuition kicked in saying backseat guy would get very violent. So I guess I did the right thing, hit the gas hard putting the car in turbo and got to hotel as fast as I could. All for a $6 ride during surge.

Guess it could have been worse read a post from a pax who had a gun drawn on him.

I think I'm going to take an uber break and only drive Lyft for a while. The Lyft pax are strangely different can't put my finger on it but never had any of the crap I put up with on uber.

Hope everyone else had a better Friday than me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had two drunk guys, very similar to your experience last night as well. It was only 11p, but they both were pretty drunk taking a 16 mile ride from suburbs to downtown Sac. Guy in the back seat was yelling and didn't realize it was at me. Called me names, told me to wake up (I was awake, not tired, and driving safely). Front seat guy tried calming him down, but just engaged him more. Wanted the AUX cable and then played loudly awful rap full of cuss words and derogatory words. Couldn't wait to get them out of my car. Back seat guy also pulled on my seatbelt (I think more to get a hold of something than to affect me and my driving). He also hit the seat a few times. I had my pepper spray, hoping I wouldn't need it and thankfully I didn't. Dropped them off and got the heck away. :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You're not good with conflict.
If they're fight is grabbing and hitting you. Call 911, they all get to ride in the back of a Police car.
No exceptions!

Situational awareness. Know your location at all times. Call 911! A nervous woman calling dispatch from the side of the road after being asulted by 2 intoxicated men. Immediate Police response, you would only be alone for 2 minutes.

Please tell me you have a dash camera, and will be more careful. Accepting this behavior will only escalate what you're willing to tolerate, and eventually you'll be the victim in the Ambulance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It would be in your best interest to avoid driving during "drinking hours". AM weekdays if you can, you don't have to deal with the BS.
Stay safe ;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're not good with conflict.
If they're fight is grabbing and hitting you. Call 911, they all get to ride in the back of a Police car.
No exceptions!

Situational awareness. Know your location at all times. Call 911! A nervous woman calling dispatch from the side of the road after being asulted by 2 intoxicated men. Immediate Police response, you would only be alone for 2 minutes.

Please tell me you have a dash camera, and will be more careful. Accepting this behavior will only escalate what you're willing to tolerate, and eventually you'll be the victim in the Ambulance.
First off let me clarify, I was not hit. I was not injured. All the pax did was grab and release my arm and not even forceful at that. He did hit his friend and my seat.

Also i was on a dark unlighted street in an industrial complex. Very close to hotel. So I floored it and finished the trip in turbo speed to hotel which was less than 2 min away after it got violent.

Now I can report on the outcome of this. And for the very first time post something positive about Uber!

Uber got back to me immediately and not by an overseas service rep sending me a canned email response. I got an actual phone call from a senior executive from the SF office to discuss this incident. I missed the cal because I was in a workshop. That's when I got an email response stating she first tried to call me but couldn't reach me. Please respond with a good time she can call back so we can discuss what happened last night. I sent a reply after my workshop and she called me 15 min later.

When they say zero tolerance they mean it!

She informed me the call was being recorded and they have opened an internal investigation into this matter. And the pax account has been temporarily suspended until the investigation is complete.

I explained what happened. She was very concerned about the fact the pax grabbed my arm. Wanted to make sure I wasn't injured. I wasn't. If i was I would have called the police and filed charges. I didn't call the police because I wasn't harmed and I wanted nothing to do with these men again. Nor did i want to waste anymore of my time on them.

She explained she was very senior at uber and one of her main jobs is to act as an advocate for female drivers. She reminded me of the zero tolerance policy of pax touching drivers in any shape of form. For both men and women under no circumstances is a pax allowed to touch a driver (and vice versa). But if it happens to women, it seems they take an extra step and the issues get escalated to her.

She is unable to share the final outcome of their investigation due to privacy policy but told me pax have had their accounts permanently deactivated for much less offenses.

We spoke for over 45min because I was going to take full advantage of the opportunity of actually speaking to a human senior executive in the SF office. I shared many of my other concerns and frustrations with Uber. For example their web based help system needs an "other" option to file an issue. Way too often I've found my issues don't fall in the categories they provided. Also suggested they need to update the UberPool app to report a rider no show.

Then I got into the biggest issue in my opinion. How I believed it's unfair that uber goes in and makes fare adjustments without notify the driver giving them an opportunity to defend themselves and the fare.

She agreed I had valid concerns and she is in a position to bring these up to the right people who have the power to make the appropriate changes. She also agreed to get back to me on these issues.

Also complained about the fact a pax can rate a driver a 1* if they throw them out of the car for cause. Unfortunately she can't do anything about that and went into this long explanation about the rating system allows both pax and riders to rate their experience. But I told her pax ratings don't matter but driver ratings do. That's why some drivers tolerate bad behavior so they don't get a bad rating. Pax don't get deactivated for poor ratings drivers do.
She said 1 or 2 one stars won't hurt a driver. Knew I wasn't going to win this argument. Didn't dare bring up tipping!

She did tell me if I have any future issues to contact her directly by responding to her email. (Didn't get a direct phone number but at least I got an email of a Sr executive. )

Travis may not care about his drivers. But this woman does. It felt good to be heard and most my issues be validated. And to know i can contact someone who can make something happen rather than some oversea service center.

So it was a happy ending. I didn't get hurt. The pax will unikely ever get to take an uber again and put another driver at risk. And I got contact info if I ever have any other issues. The Denver office are contract employees who care as much about the drivers as the overseas service center guys.

I'm an optimist and believe everything happens for a reason. I believe good will come from this experience.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fireguy50 no dash cam yet. But I promise I will have one installed immediately. Researching the right cam for me. If I'm going to get a cam, I'm going to get a damn good one. I don't want a cheap model attached with 3m tape to my dash. I have a very nice car and don't want something cheap like that on the dash. Since I'm getting a cam, i also want one with rear view cam to give me better visuals when I back up. Love that feature in my moms car. Also want it professionally installed no wires showing.

I don't know much about cams and what the different view angles means and so on. So I'm doing my research to learn all I can. Not willing to spend a grand on one but willing to spend $350 or so. (That rear cam is important to me, backed into my fare share of bumpers in my life).

Also was aware of my location. Indeed been to that area several times because that's where moms oxygen supply Aprea is located. Knew the road knew how close I was. That's why I really wanted to throw them out in the wet snow and stumbled and let them figure out their own way back. But I didn't want to escalate the issue further. And stop my car on a dark street to kick them out. Knew the hotel was really close and my safest fastest best option was to get there fast and drop them off and leave. Really didn't have grounds for assault because he just grabbed my arm and released it. Not hard not violently. He was just violent to my seat and his friend. No damage to my seat. Don't know about friend don't care. They got out of my car and my life and happy with that.

Also extremely pleased with how quickly uber responded personally to me. Travis may not care about me but this Sr executive truly did. At least Travis is smart enough to hire good executives to handle these matters.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Oh my... I think you should work on some preventive measures. Get in the habbit of sizing up your riders before you start the trip.

Ive started driving without starting the trip when I've had doubts.
If you decide its okay 1/10-1/4 mile down the road, start the trip. It will say something about not starting on time, select ignore and it starts it from the pick up.

If they get and call you c or any nasty names, I don't see it getting better, do you? Tell them sorry i can't do this i have an emergency, whatever. Get out of the car if you have to and call 911. Dont put up with that. Cancel that trip before the nt!

Most of my riders have neen great, a few bad ones but overall they great. Do accept any disrespect. You seem really sweet, you do not have to deal with that crap, dont let tjem get away with it.

Unwanted sexual comments , tell them straight up you do not like it and wont tolerate it. Most drunk young guys think its charming, set them straight. Be firm and direct at first get more vocal and harsh if needed.

I think if you try to size it up before you start and cancel those few that you think might be bad rides you'll be okay. Trust your first instincts, you get a bad feeling, bail. Dont feel bad about it either, you're safety is most important!

Im sorry you had to deal with that crap. Us men can be ass holes at times

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
First off let me clarify, I was not hit. I was not injured. All the pax did was grab and release my arm and not even forceful at that. He did hit his friend and my seat.
While driving!
Beur please talk some sense into her
They we're intoxicated and assaulting each other. Grabbing your arm unconsenting at that moment is assault & battery. They were not concerned about your safety in the proximity to their fight.

Not enough to probably convict assault & battery charge, but would plead down vti drunk & disorderly, possibility of resisting arrest, m sleep it of behind bars and await their turn in front of a judge.

I don't know, but YOU need to take control of these situations immediately. It might continue to escalate for a long difficult 60 seconds but the Calvary is coming FAST!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Fireguy50 no dash cam yet. But I promise I will have one installed immediately. Researching the right cam for me. If I'm going to get a cam, I'm going to get a damn good one. I don't want a cheap model attached with 3m tape to my dash.
Let me go review the night vision video form today before recommendation on mine $90 + $17 SD card.
A video of their fight could guarantee the DA takes it to trial and longer sentencing. Just never use it as a YouTube toy

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Let me go review the night vision video form today before recommendation on mine $90 + $17 SD card.
A video of their fight could guarantee sentencing. Just never use it as a YouTube toy
She needs to not be in the sentencing phase. No strike 2 or 3. Prevention. Read the situation, err on the side of caution. Video proof of an assault is great for court but it won't unbreak a jaw!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I´m so sorry to hear that story.
Is pepper spray legal over there? If it is, get one, it helps. Makes you feel better too, just having it.

I was a taxi driver, for 7 years, and unfortunately it´s only matter of time when a driver gets into scary situation.
The worst I had was 3 drunk russian guys getting into my car and telling me just to drive out of the city, doesnt matter which way, cause they gonna kill me and take the car anyway. I even thaught "that´s it, that´s how I´m going to die". Well, I managed to jump out of car in a city, on street with more traffic, took also car keyes... shouted to people around to call the cops. Damn freaks ran away.
And I have plenty horror stories from coworkers... and few dead drivers. Dead. Killed by passangers.

It is a dangerous job, Uber pay isn´t worth that kind of experiences. Please, think twice. You risk with your health, your mental health, your life.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
She needs to not be in the sentencing phase. No strike 2 or 3. Prevention. Read the situation, err on the side of caution. Video proof of an assault is great for court but it won't unbreak a jaw!
So very true, agree 1000%
But some people are stuck Uber driving certain hours because of their full time job, or there is only real surge money at that particular time. And people have to juggle risk vs paying bills. It's sad, hopefully there is another time of day that works better.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So very true, agree 1000%
But some people are stuck Uber driving certain hours because of their full time job, or there is only real surge money at that particular time. And people have to juggle risk vs paying bills. It's sad, hopefully there is another time of day that works better.
First, I want to thank everyone for the advice and concern for my safety. We are all strangers but still connected in a way.

Second, I just happen to stumble on my new secret sweet spot. Indeed it's a gold mine! I was taking a class in a suburb of Denver never drove through this part of town just around it. Had an early dinner then decided to drive.

Tonight I got One ping after another after another. It's in one of the safest parts of town. And every single pax tipped and thanked me profusely for picking them up. They get so excited an uber or Lyft is around. After the 5th trip or so I picked up a bartender getting off work. He was so grateful I picked him up he tipped me before the ride. Finally asked are there any uber/Lyft drivers here? He said very rarely (hence the constant surge pricing).

I was so busy tonight. Made more money than midnight -2am shift. And finished up around 11 and home by 11:30. No violent jerks. No drunk paxs. No grumpy pax blaming you for being late. Not even a minimum fare! And every single ride was. 1.5-1.7 surge. And every pax extremely grateful to get a ride. No entitled pax.

Didn't think it was a fluke bc the surge is almost always on there from about 5pm until midnight. I just never accepted a ping to drive 20 miles surge or not. Now I think it's my new driving spot. The 20 miles not a big deal it's all highway. Easy to get there.

Not only that BFF lives near by. Just don't go see her much since its a hike.

So nice to have an alternative to downtown.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A video of their fight could guarantee the DA takes it to trial and longer sentencing. Just never use it as a YouTube toy
Thank you for taking the time to help me find the right cam. I know you try to put on this grouch persona even have Oscar as your avatar. But after reading your posts on all the different forums your actually a good guy. But I'll keep your secret that you're a grumpy guy in Michigan.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Trust me I'm a grump, took 10ng Valium, 15mg Oxycodone, and still could only sleep from 11pm to 1:45am
There are some Corporate HR CSR's (my employer) & Insurance CSR's that are going to get the wrath Monday morning.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trust me I'm a grump, took 10ng Valium, 15mg Oxycodone, and still could only sleep from 11pm to 1:45am
There are some Corporate HR CSR's (my employer) & Insurance CSR's that are going to get the wrath Monday morning.
Ok so your a grumpy guy, but good decent guy who cares about other drivers. Something I appreciate about you. You give good honest advice throughout this forum. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted the advice you have to me to be safer. Oscar also was a good trash monster grumpy but cared about his friends.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts