Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off work at 5pm yesterday and made it to the inspection site by 5:15. They close at 6:00 so I was worried about how many cars might be in front of me.

Turns out, there were only two in front of me. The first was leaving. The inspector told me his rear bumper was held on with wire and would never pass so he was sent away. The other in front of me could not get inspected because he did not have the Vehicle Registration Receipt that your sticker comes stuck to that you put on your windshield. He said you can go to the office where you get your registration sticker and they can print a duplicate Reciept for a few dollars

I have a 2009 Prius in very good condition and had just done the state inspection and registration. Here is what I had to provide:

1. State Vehicle Registration receipt
2. The official state inspection report
3. He looked up to see if my car had any recalls outstanding. He used safercar.gov to find out.

Without those two documents or if I had any outstanding recalls and I would have been sent away.

I brought along my printout from the Dallas Transportation website where I had registered for the vehicle permit. That was never examined.

I also handed him my drivers license and proof of insurance but can't remember if both were required.

I passed. I do have a few spots on my front hood where there are minor paint flecks missing as I have encountered road debris/gravel. He said much more of that and he would not have passed me. I consider it normal after 6 years of driving around here... But when I stand back and look objectively, I will need to get it fixed in the next year.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I felt kinda bad for the two drivers who wasted the trip. Even though I try to read a lot of the posts here I must have missed reading about checking for recalls for example.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with us but I have couple of questions

How much did you pay?! Is it the same as state inspection

Did you have to print the inspection form online before you go as Lyft does ? And is it the same as Lyft because I need to do inspection for Lyft as ... so the shop can sign both documents for uber and Lyft with one inspection ?!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I paid $50 at this shop. It is a separate thing and different charge than state inspection. I did not print the inspection form to bring in. The guy at the shop was using a copy of copy which was not completely legible. He knew what each check box was but I had to ask on a couple because I couldn't read it. If I had brought a fresh copy and gifted it to him I probably would have made his day. :)

I only drive Uber but it is my understanding that once your vehicle has the City of Dallas vehicle permit that it is good for Uber or Lyft.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh one dallas permit for both !! make since bro thank you so much
I have two cars and the math was telling me $200 is bloody damn much

But one inspection means $100 for both cars Uber and Lyft .... Still too much but I have to do it .... ;(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Got off work at 5pm yesterday and made it to the inspection site by 5:15. They close at 6:00 so I was worried about how many cars might be in front of me.

Turns out, there were only two in front of me. The first was leaving. The inspector told me his rear bumper was held on with wire and would never pass so he was sent away. The other in front of me could not get inspected because he did not have the Vehicle Registration Receipt that your sticker comes stuck to that you put on your windshield. He said you can go to the office where you get your registration sticker and they can print a duplicate Reciept for a few dollars

I have a 2009 Prius in very good condition and had just done the state inspection and registration. Here is what I had to provide:

1. State Vehicle Registration receipt
2. The official state inspection report
3. He looked up to see if my car had any recalls outstanding. He used safercar.gov to find out.

Without those two documents or if I had any outstanding recalls and I would have been sent away.

I brought along my printout from the Dallas Transportation website where I had registered for the vehicle permit. That was never examined.

I also handed him my drivers license and proof of insurance but can't remember if both were required.

I passed. I do have a few spots on my front hood where there are minor paint flecks missing as I have encountered road debris/gravel. He said much more of that and he would not have passed me. I consider it normal after 6 years of driving around here... But when I stand back and look objectively, I will need to get it fixed in the next year.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I felt kinda bad for the two drivers who wasted the trip. Even though I try to read a lot of the posts here I must have missed reading about checking for recalls for example.
Great info. Thanks for sharing. I hope you didn't almost drive in to a ditch on the way home given all those flecks of paint missing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your vehicle registration receipt?

He couldn't just look at your registration sticker on the window?

I know that it isn't essential to look at the registration receipt because my inspector never asked for it and there are no questions on the city form that ask for information that only appears on the registration receipt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, took less the an hour.

I pointed out my sticker and that it was proof that I had passed the inspection and paid to register. He said did not matter. He had to make copies of the receipt and actual state inspection results. Good times... Glad I had them.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Your vehicle registration receipt?

He couldn't just look at your registration sticker on the window?

I know that it isn't essential to look at the registration receipt because my inspector never asked for it and there are no questions on the city form that ask for information that only appears on the registration receipt.
Then how does the inspector know who the car is registered to if they do not look at the receipt? couldn't you technically use someone elses car in that case and get away with it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Then how does the inspector know who the car is registered to if they do not look at the receipt? couldn't you technically use someone elses car in that case and get away with it?
The inspection is for a vehicle permit, not a driver permit.

The permit goes with the vehicle, not the driver.

It doesn't matter who owns a vehicle if you are inspecting it to see if it meets relevant safety standards and the registration and inspection tags are current.

Look at the City of Dallas inspection checklist. There are no questions about registration receipts or state inspection receipts on there.

I have no idea why vehicle inspectors do things like that. Maybe it's just a power trip, but if it is it's a pretty dumb power trip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that you mention it, the inspector did say he was looking to see that I was the person who registered the car. If not, he was going to need something from the person whose name the car was registered under. Not sure what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts