Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all the hate on uber about pay and expenses.i now have 2 nights driving short term. First night drove 57 miles tonight drove 47 miles. That's 3.5 gallons gas. Let's say 12 dollars in gas. My earnings are 175.minus 12 is 163. Let's call it 80 a night. The question is do I count my 30 to 1 hour of breaks as work. I really only drove 3 hours a night.it looks like 25 to 30 an hour and I'm a rookie. Once I learn the surge and how to get around better I should do better. I don't see doing this for 1 dollar a mile. To much headache for those wages.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you accounted for SELF EMPLOYMENT TAX, depreciation on you vehicle, risk, insurance (I hope you have commercial driver's insurance)....Uber's fees?? You're not making what you think you are. You're probably NETTING (actual take home pay) closer to $10 or $12 per hour.

·
Registered
621 Posts
There has been alot of debate on these forums as to how much per mile it takes to operate a motor vehicle. Depending on the car, location, driving habits etc, I've seen values from $0.25 to $0.60 per mile. You do need to account from fuel, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, car payment if applicable etc. Once you calculate your own per mile expenses, you need to account for EVERY mile you drive, even the ones with no passengers. These miles are often referred to as "dead" miles. I would be willing to bet that your actual earnings are at or below minimum wage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you accounted for SELF EMPLOYMENT TAX, depreciation on you vehicle, risk, insurance (I hope you have commercial driver's insurance)....Uber's fees?? You're not making what you think you are. You're probably NETTING (actual take home pay) closer to $10 or $12 per hour.
What ubers fees. The partner app gives u earnings after uber fees. The earnings I quoted are after uber. I just subtracted gas.I use personal insurance that I need anyway. I get 57 a mile deduction so I only pay taxes on about 100 of my income. Seems like a decent job

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
"Enjoy it while it lasts". Yup cause Uber will flood the market with drivers x100 from now and saturate the streets so there is 5-10 cars per block. Next they will drop prices and raise the take. Make what you can and as soon as you feel this is not viable any longer and...QUIT!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There has been alot of debate on these forums as to how much per mile it takes to operate a motor vehicle. Depending on the car, location, driving habits etc, I've seen values from $0.25 to $0.60 per mile. You do need to account from fuel, maintenance, depreciation, insurance, car payment if applicable etc. Once you calculate your own per mile expenses, you need to account for EVERY mile you drive, even the ones with no passengers. These miles are often referred to as "dead" miles. I would be willing to bet that your actual earnings are at or below minimum wage.
U are completely wrong. I clear my odometer when I leave my apartment. Those miles are all miles. My car payment I had before and pay because I need a car. Paid 8k for it. No way making minimum wage. Half my fares are surge and I don't even know surge very well. 1.85 is profitable. 1.10 .no way. Would never drive these stiffs around for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Enjoy it while it lasts". Yup cause Uber will flood the market with drivers x100 from now and saturate the streets so there is 5-10 cars per block. Next they will drop prices and raise the take. Make what you can and as soon as you feel this is not viable any longer and...QUIT!
When that happens I quit. You have to know basic math to know .75 a mile in Detroit isn't profitable unless u are a illegal and came from nothing.

·
Registered
621 Posts
What ubers fees. The partner app gives u earnings after uber fees. The earnings I quoted are after uber. I just subtracted gas.I use personal insurance that I need anyway. I get 57 a mile deduction so I only pay taxes on about 100 of my income. Seems like a decent job
Most personal insurance will not cover you if you have anaccident while using your car for Uber.

You also failed to deduct maintenance such as oil changes, brakes, tires etc. Your car loses value the more you drive it. This is called depreciation. You need to account for this as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems to me in 2 nights driving that you can only average 2 rides per hour. The pay is capped for sure. 25 to 30 an hour seems to be the max u can make since these stiffs don't tip jack. I made 7 in tips my 2 nights. Yeyyyy
Most personal insurance will not cover you if you have anaccident while using your car for Uber.

You also failed to deduct maintenance such as oil changes, brakes, tires etc. Your car loses value the more you drive it. This is called depreciation. You need to account for this as well.
I'm getting 57 Mile deduction for depreciation and oil changes. Uber profit is about how much a mile your city is.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Some people expect that they should be able to drive ANY car at ANY time and make a profit. Drive a low maintenance & depreciation car, go online at the right times, know your city's hot spots and trends and you'll certainly find Uber rewarding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow drivers. On one rainy day, after driving 2 months for Uber, I decided to check how soon I could afford new Lamborghini working with our “partner”. I was keeping detailed statistics of, miles, gas cost, etc. These numbers will be sufficient for this exercise. I am not driving too much. Just to give you an idea: I made 227 trips, spent 177.4 hrs, and drove around 5000 miles. received from Uber $2267 within 8 weeks.

So, using this and other statistical data and after doing some basic math here are results.

Your gas cost per mile (on average) will be 0.12 $/mile. Real depreciation cost of your vehicle (I used different sources of data) will be 0.33 $/mile. This is tricky number and will depend on many factors (car value, year, milage, etc.) but 0.33 $/mile as an approximation is rather correct for this exercise.

So, your most visible expenses will be 0.45 $/mile you drive.

Now let’s look at our paycheck form our dear partner. After some rudimentary math It comes to 0.50 $/mile. I’ll save your time and make this incredibly difficult math for you: You are making on average 0.05 $/mile. 5 cents of profit. Oh, but wait, I did not pay to Uncle Sam yet. Lets give him 20%.

Now it is clean as whistle profit: 4 cents for mile you drive (with or without pax during your hrs working for our “partner”).

Heck, I goofed again and forgot to include new tires and oil change in my expenses. However, who counts -We are partners now.

On a happy note my new Lambo coming to my garage after I drive 6,250,000 miles or 13 times to Moon. Both waysJ

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some people expect that they should be able to drive ANY car at ANY time and make a profit. Drive a low maintenance & depreciation car, go online at the right times, know your city's hot spots and trends and you'll certainly find Uber rewarding.
Hey GLaDOS,
Why don't you show the good drivers from Las Vegas a screen shot of your trip earnings? Show us what rewarding means to you. Perhaps the paycheck you get from Uber to post your BS is rewarding.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
U are completely wrong. I clear my odometer when I leave my apartment. Those miles are all miles. My car payment I had before and pay because I need a car. Paid 8k for it. No way making minimum wage. Half my fares are surge and I don't even know surge very well. 1.85 is profitable. 1.10 .no way. Would never drive these stiffs around for that.
Welcome to forum. Not going to comment on hourly or what amount of net profit makes sense for you or anyone.

They key point I want to make is your reference to " I already...pay for this or that anyway". That is true but when you set your odometer to zero and start driving Uber (TNC), you are now using your vehicle as a business. You need to allocate cost to understand how you are doing. That means knowing your costs per mile.

You are the one that needs to come up with a per mile cost to run your vehicle. You can change your per mile costs at anytime. But if you are not tracking it, you have no idea how much your are netting.

So what number are you going to start out with for your per mile cost?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bottom line is my uber net minus gas is the main end of night profit or earnings. I have to pay taxes on earnings at any job so I don't count that. I make 1000 a check at my regular job. Take home is 850. My earnings though are 1000. Compare apples to apples. Now I only add uber expenses after gas over the year. I change oil 5k uber miles. 60 miles a night x 2 times 52 is 6240 a year. Wow 1.2 oil changes a year. A whole 25.oo a year. 2 dollars a month. Tires are 60k rated so that's uber tires every 10 years!!!! Basicly u guys are drama queens and clueless on expenses. At 1.85 this shit is profitable and no boss.

·
Registered
621 Posts
So many Uber newbies come in here proclaiming that they know better than the hoardes of drivers that came before. They alone have cracked the code that noone else before them has. You got to admire the enthusiasm and optimism. I can't help but wonder how long before reality give him a good swift kick in the nuts. Maybe he has figure out the secret code, maybe he hasn't It'll be fun to watch either way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So many Uber newbies come in here proclaiming that they know better than the hoardes of drivers that came before. They alone have cracked the code that noone else before them has. You got to admire the enthusiasm and optimism. I can't help but wonder how long before reality give him a good swift kick in the nuts. Maybe he has figure out the secret code, maybe he hasn't It'll be fun to watch either way.
I'm posting Facts.you count oil changes tires and the rest based offer uber miles. Please tell me my huge expenses

·
Registered
469 Posts
Depending on your company, commercial insurance may not be necessary. Remember the vehicles that are being driven are Class C. Since most drivers are part time and personally titled vehicles some of the larger insurance companies do not rate them in the commercial category. Remember exposure and intensity determine the potential for loss (an accident or incident that can generate a payable claim). The intensity or concentration of hazards varies with each city and time of day. Realistically someone with a long commute home or a mom running several kids around each day may have a higher risk of an accident than a Uber and/or Lyft driver. I work in safety and loss mitigation for the public transit system here in Vegas. If you need a more elaborate explanation of these concepts let me know. The hazard of having a degree in this field is that the subject tends to bore those outside of the industry, so trying to keep it concise.

·
Super Moderator
15,297 Posts
Depending on your company, commercial insurance may not be necessary. Remember the vehicles that are being driven are Class C. Since most drivers are part time and personally titled vehicles some of the larger insurance companies do not rate them in the commercial category. Remember exposure and intensity determine the potential for loss (an accident or incident that can generate a payable claim). The intensity or concentration of hazards varies with each city and time of day. Realistically someone with a long commute home or a mom running several kids around each day may have a higher risk of an accident than a Uber and/or Lyft driver. I work in safety and loss mitigation for the public transit system here in Vegas. If you need a more elaborate explanation of these concepts let me know. The hazard of having a degree in this field is that the subject tends to bore those outside of the industry, so trying to keep it concise.
The best way to find out is to call your insurance company, give them your name, phone number, policy number, tell them you are Ubering then ask THEM if you need commercial insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Bottom line is my uber net minus gas is the main end of night profit or earnings. I have to pay taxes on earnings at any job so I don't count that. I make 1000 a check at my regular job. Take home is 850. My earnings though are 1000. Compare apples to apples. Now I only add uber expenses after gas over the year. I change oil 5k uber miles. 60 miles a night x 2 times 52 is 6240 a year. Wow 1.2 oil changes a year. A whole 25.oo a year. 2 dollars a month. Tires are 60k rated so that's uber tires every 10 years!!!! Basicly u guys are drama queens and clueless on expenses. At 1.85 this shit is profitable and no boss.
I'd didn't make this up. Livery, Taxi, and Transportation Professionals all use per mile. The IRS also uses Per Mile.

Again, if you are not factoring in a cost (any cost) by "per mile", you do not really know what your net profit is.

You can "say" it's profitable. But unless you are tracking "per mile", you really don't know. It's a guess.

And you notice I'm not saying you aren't making a profit. What I'm saying is you really don't know if or how much.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts