Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My full time day job was wearing me down and I needed to take a long leave of absence. My mental and physical health have been in the gutter so I'm trying to downsize and thought uber would be perfect as a temp thing. Can log in and out when I need to and can focus on myself. I know Pay sucks but I just need something that will keep me from eating my savings. Would doing uber for a year or so like that work?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
There's less hazardous sabbatical hobbies...

Like MMA cage fighting for money. Or a casual heroin habit.

Seriously, this stuff is no good for when your mental emotional and physical batteries are drained.

And if your health isn't too good either....

PS select is a painfully slow but pays pretty decent. Overall lack of passengers means there probably won't be enough to drive you to mental or physical breakdown....

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Well if you stick to day driving it may be easier but im a night driver and i tell ya, i get emotionally drained by the end of the night. Every night. The second i can stop driving, i will be. Id hate to have to do this every day.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I agree with the earlier posters, there are significant physical and emotional pressures doing rideshare, including Uber and Lyft.

The "physical pressures" are not obvious since they are related to excessive physical idleness, sitting in a car 5-12 hours each day. People forget that they must exercise frequently while Ubering to stay healthy. Emotionally, there's the normal stress of driving, higher in cities, the most lucrative markets. Plus working for a company that has little respect for you. Any constant emotional stress may manifest as a variety of physical problems.

True, there is the "freedom" of being your own boss, but also the responsibilities. Some love to drive and meet new people. However, not everyone is sufficiently motivated to get out of the house day-after-day for the Uber-grind. Being pleasant to a*holes that you'd kick out of your home is not always easy. Then there is constant fighting with corporate drones whenever your shafted out of a toll or other reimbursement. Plus you should be keeping detailed records for tax purposes.

Every job has its pros & cons. Rideshare is no exception. And the pay sucks too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts