Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the market in nyc requires the car to be 2011 or 2009 depending on tlc plates. Let's assume at least 2011 is required. Which means car can be no older than 5 years. Now if I buy a 2011 for ubering, would the car still be uber eligible next year ? Next year car Wil be older than 5 years.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I drive a 2011 model in NYC. Uber support told me that TLC determines the vehicle year requirements, not Uber. Try to get an answer from TLC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drive a 2011 model in NYC. Uber support told me that TLC determines the vehicle year requirements, not Uber. Try to get an answer from TLC.
ok so i'll call the tlc office monday yo find out for sure. But since yours is a 2011, will you still be able to drive under TLC next year since your car will be more than 5 models old ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the market in nyc requires the car to be 2011 or 2009 depending on tlc plates. Let's assume at least 2011 is required. Which means car can be no older than 5 years. Now if I buy a 2011 for ubering, would the car still be uber eligible next year ? Next year car Wil be older than 5 years.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
No once u register a car with tlc u can keep renewing its just wont be able to register with a black car base u will have to find a dispatch base to register it u can still work for uber and the dispatch base for cash

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
No once u register a car with tlc u can keep renewing its just wont be able to register with a black car base u will have to find a dispatch base to register it u can still work for uber and the dispatch base for cash
That sounds reasonable. I have seen some real shit boxes working car service in Bklyn. He'll I even drove some back in the day.

·
Banned
821 Posts
First, only get what everyone else gets which is Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Prius V, Toyota Highlander and Chevrolet Suburban. The reason is because there are lots of common used parts for these vehicles around here. These are also the vehicles which many drivers feel really work for them. The Toyotas are very reliable. Hybrids get awesome gas mileage.

Second, only get the vehicle in the color black. Black is the easiest color for a body shop to work with. In fact, you can even get used Black panels like the fender or door and put it on the car without painting and it will reasonably match. If the car gets damaged, it needs to be out on the road as fast as possible. One day and you miss 200-400 dollars in revenue.

Third, I believe the new TLC age rule is 7 years not 5 years. They change the rules so often its best to check.

Fourth, a gas vehicle will not have major problems until after 200k. The largest expense up to 100k will be tires which cost hundreds of dollars to replace. For Hybrids, think 300k before any major repairs. If you are driving 40 hours per week, you will put 50k per year on the vehicle I am guessing. So a gas vehicle will last up to 150-200k or 3-4 years. A Hybrid, will go about 5-6 years.

Figure out what you want. For UberX, get the Prius V. The Camry Hybrid actually rides better and its faster, but it cant load as much crap as the Prius V and isnt as miserly with the gas. For UberX/UberXL get the Toyota Highlander 4 cylinder 2wd. UberXL calls will come about 1-3 per shift and will get you those extra fares, but it uses twice as much gas as the Prius V.

Get the vehicle with the smallest wheels. Dont go for upgrades. Smaller wheels equal more snow traction, more rain traction, less tire replacement price and better mpg. So if its the choice between 16 or 17 inch wheels, go for 16 inch, etc.

Now for cloth seaths, you can get Clazzio seat covers you can install yourself. Just installed Clazzios into my vehicle and they look great. They will pass and work. If you just go with cloth, the cloth seats will be ruined after 25000 miles and its very hard to clean cloth seats. Some stains like ink will be permanent into the cloth. Its ok to get cloth seats cause you can cover them over with the Clazzios for 400-600 dollars. I paid $620 for my Toyota Sienna to get the covers. They really seem durable and there are hints they are covers, but they will pass with the riders.

When getting used, think about the tires and the brakes. A brake job will cost 300, new tires 500-800. It all depends on what you get and who does the work. Make sure to check the tire depth. Consider these costs when going for used. Also consider you will have to wait 4-6 hours to get the tires replaced when the car could be out on the road. A brake job will also be that long. So the 300 dollar brake job will really cost more like 500. The tire job, over a grand. The pro taxi and livery people have their own guys do the work at much cheaper prices. They use the absolute cheapest parts. I know a few garages in the Bronx and Harlem where no one is "legal" and they do a lot of the yellow cab work. Everything is done with two things in mind. Price and getting back on the road quickly.

I saw some new zero mile 2014 Toyota Prius V at Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn NJ for 22k. Haggle them down to 20k. I would rather get that zero mile Prius V versus the 40k Prius V for 15k. I know that I will have to do absolutely nothing to the vehicle for at least 30k miles except for oil changes. If you get the 40k one, expect to change brakes, oil and tires which all cost $$$. Its also time off the road when anything has got to get changed.

In short, your world comes down to 4 vehicles. Prius V, Camry Hybrid, Toyota Highlander 4 cyl 2wd and Chevrolet Suburban.

A note about 4wd vs 2wd. This isnt Michigan. I would go with the 2wd. It snows maybe 10 days out of the year and they plow it up quickly. My concern is gas mileage and price of the car, not snow. In any event, its very risky heading out into the snow to drive especially if you have not driven in it all your life like some of us here. You dont sound like you are from this area so best to park it when it snows. Even with 4wd you can get into accidents in the snow if you havent driven in it.

decent Prius V used= $15k , zero mile previous year Prius V= $22k , new Prius V= $27k, decent used Highlander= $24k, new Black Highlander, 2wd, 4 cyl= $28k

My personal choice if I was in your position would be the Prius V, but I do lean for the Highlander. A lot of people around here travel in groups and carry so much crap that the standard Prius V and Camry just wont do. I think the Highlander might be better. It seems like the powers that be are really messing with the Black Car/SUV fleet like making them do all the calls. I am also in doubt how much demand there is for them. I personally would order an UberXL than the SUV because the UberXL holds just as much and is cheaper. Everyone around these parts I know are cheapskates even people who can afford it.

If you got the Prius V like the Madmax guy I cant see you going wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, only get what everyone else gets which is Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Prius V, Toyota Highlander and Chevrolet Suburban. The reason is because there are lots of common used parts for these vehicles around here. These are also the vehicles which many drivers feel really work for them. The Toyotas are very reliable. Hybrids get awesome gas mileage.

Second, only get the vehicle in the color black. Black is the easiest color for a body shop to work with. In fact, you can even get used Black panels like the fender or door and put it on the car without painting and it will reasonably match. If the car gets damaged, it needs to be out on the road as fast as possible. One day and you miss 200-400 dollars in revenue.

Third, I believe the new TLC age rule is 7 years not 5 years. They change the rules so often its best to check.

Fourth, a gas vehicle will not have major problems until after 200k. The largest expense up to 100k will be tires which cost hundreds of dollars to replace. For Hybrids, think 300k before any major repairs. If you are driving 40 hours per week, you will put 50k per year on the vehicle I am guessing. So a gas vehicle will last up to 150-200k or 3-4 years. A Hybrid, will go about 5-6 years.

Figure out what you want. For UberX, get the Prius V. The Camry Hybrid actually rides better and its faster, but it cant load as much crap as the Prius V and isnt as miserly with the gas. For UberX/UberXL get the Toyota Highlander 4 cylinder 2wd. UberXL calls will come about 1-3 per shift and will get you those extra fares, but it uses twice as much gas as the Prius V.

Get the vehicle with the smallest wheels. Dont go for upgrades. Smaller wheels equal more snow traction, more rain traction, less tire replacement price and better mpg. So if its the choice between 16 or 17 inch wheels, go for 16 inch, etc.

Now for cloth seaths, you can get Clazzio seat covers you can install yourself. Just installed Clazzios into my vehicle and they look great. They will pass and work. If you just go with cloth, the cloth seats will be ruined after 25000 miles and its very hard to clean cloth seats. Some stains like ink will be permanent into the cloth. Its ok to get cloth seats cause you can cover them over with the Clazzios for 400-600 dollars. I paid $620 for my Toyota Sienna to get the covers. They really seem durable and there are hints they are covers, but they will pass with the riders.

When getting used, think about the tires and the brakes. A brake job will cost 300, new tires 500-800. It all depends on what you get and who does the work. Make sure to check the tire depth. Consider these costs when going for used. Also consider you will have to wait 4-6 hours to get the tires replaced when the car could be out on the road. A brake job will also be that long. So the 300 dollar brake job will really cost more like 500. The tire job, over a grand. The pro taxi and livery people have their own guys do the work at much cheaper prices. They use the absolute cheapest parts. I know a few garages in the Bronx and Harlem where no one is "legal" and they do a lot of the yellow cab work. Everything is done with two things in mind. Price and getting back on the road quickly.

I saw some new zero mile 2014 Toyota Prius V at Glen Toyota in Fair Lawn NJ for 22k. Haggle them down to 20k. I would rather get that zero mile Prius V versus the 40k Prius V for 15k. I know that I will have to do absolutely nothing to the vehicle for at least 30k miles except for oil changes. If you get the 40k one, expect to change brakes, oil and tires which all cost $$$. Its also time off the road when anything has got to get changed.

In short, your world comes down to 4 vehicles. Prius V, Camry Hybrid, Toyota Highlander 4 cyl 2wd and Chevrolet Suburban.

A note about 4wd vs 2wd. This isnt Michigan. I would go with the 2wd. It snows maybe 10 days out of the year and they plow it up quickly. My concern is gas mileage and price of the car, not snow. In any event, its very risky heading out into the snow to drive especially if you have not driven in it all your life like some of us here. You dont sound like you are from this area so best to park it when it snows. Even with 4wd you can get into accidents in the snow if you havent driven in it.

decent Prius V used= $15k , zero mile previous year Prius V= $22k , new Prius V= $27k, decent used Highlander= $24k, new Black Highlander, 2wd, 4 cyl= $28k

My personal choice if I was in your position would be the Prius V, but I do lean for the Highlander. A lot of people around here travel in groups and carry so much crap that the standard Prius V and Camry just wont do. I think the Highlander might be better. It seems like the powers that be are really messing with the Black Car/SUV fleet like making them do all the calls. I am also in doubt how much demand there is for them. I personally would order an UberXL than the SUV because the UberXL holds just as much and is cheaper. Everyone around these parts I know are cheapskates even people who can afford it.

If you got the Prius V like the Madmax guy I cant see you going wrong.
Thanks bro for your input. I actually am from Bayonne and have been here for 12 years.

So my budget is 11000 cash. I did see used prius at a toyota delership for 13 which i think i can haggle down to 11. They have a few different ones and they are all between 45 and 60k in miles. My only concern with prius is that its apparantly not very comfortable for the driver or the passengers. Because of that im considering looking at camry, accord or sonata.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and i don't understand this clearly. Can some explain

"If your vehicle doesn't yet have TLC plates, it must be 2011 or newer. If your vehicle already has TLC plates, it can be 2009 or newer."

My plan is to start driving in NJ and apply for my TLC. After i get my TLC i'll get commercial insurance and plates and start in NYC. So do i need 2009 or 2011

·
Banned
821 Posts
Clazzio seat cover make the seats more comfortable. Half inch of foam inside and you can put more foam yourself. Designed to be put over cloth seats...not over existing leather seats. Very comfortable. Just had a passenger in here who loved it. Very soft. I got some extra high density foam going to stuff in there to make even better. Very durable too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clazzio seat cover make the seats more comfortable. Half inch of foam inside and you can put more foam yourself. Designed to be put over cloth seats...not over existing leather seats. Very comfortable. Just had a passenger in here who loved it. Very soft. I got some extra high density foam going to stuff in there to make even better. Very durable too.
okay good to know.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I will create a thread about these covers. It looks awesome, some people think its a new car and its real thick with foam. Ill post some pictures on Sunday.

·
Banned
821 Posts
My understanding is now its 7 model years. Under the old rule it was 5 years. So lets say you bought the 2011. If its under the 7 year rule, you will have until 2018 to use it. After 2018, they wont let you use it. Keep in mind, the average gasoline car lasts 200k miles or about 4 years, the Hybrid lasts 300k miles or 5-6 years. It all depends on what you want to do, how long you want to be in the industry, etc. Some cars will last beyond 200-300k, etc.

Tariq, you were saying about the uncomfortable Prius interior. I just posted my review of the Clazzio seat covers. You can get these for the Prius V. The seat covers have a little padding on them, but I also got a roll of high density foam off of Ebay and inserted strips underneath creating a very comfortable seat. The feel of the seat is totally different. I too have a Toyota and know the cloth seats are pretty bad. This will solve that issue.

http://www.uberpeople.net/threads/t...-expensive-leather-clazzio-seat-covers.37598/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts