Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is up with these used cab ubers that look like beat up peices of shit while we all have new cars. hell some of them look from the 1990s. they weave in and out of lanes and do not know how to drive. I saw one the other day at PHL with a smashed passenger door and a trunk that had a bungee cord to close wtf. uber should physically inspect the car. before allowing it to be put in use. I get a lot of riders complaining about these Garbage vehicles. Anyway, we can get uber to can their asses.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
what is up with these used cab ubers that look like beat up peices of shit while we all have new cars. hell some of them look from the 1990s. they weave in and out of lanes and do not know how to drive. I saw one the other day at PHL with a smashed passenger door and a trunk that had a bungee cord to close wtf. uber should physically inspect the car. before allowing it to be put in use. I get a lot of riders complaining about these Garbage vehicles. Anyway, we can get uber to can their asses.
for the life of me... i cannot understand why there is no physical inspection. even if it's just a 2 minute "walk around" to inspect for damage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Why would you use a nice car to drive Uber? I’ve never personally used anything newer then 2010.

You’re going to get paid the same rates either way. Maybe you lose a few tips because the passenger doesn’t like the car and even then that’s probably not happening.

In the past two years I’ve used a 2010 Malibu and civic. Currently have 2 2016 in the drive way and I’ll never use either one of them for this gig.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
i got a leased 2017 for wav with big incentives. after this go's i go to prius or ford 500 for 3k and ice cold a/c for me...while my 2015 sits

5 star what would you say avg good driver driving a cab 6 days a week 10 hour days that kind friendly guy. would make per week..
WAKE THESE GUYS UP...ALSO FIGURE HIM FOR 130 STOPS A WEEK

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
lol, I give those ex cabs props. Smartest out of all of us, and definitely making the maximum profit. Those cars are paid for, mostly beasty, can take a massive beating without too much work for repairs. Insurance is cheap on them because they're bloody ancient and abused and have a rep for holding up. I actually used to drive one of these back in the day. Had a pseudo-drag set up for amateur nights. Sucked in bad weather, but was pretty bomb-proof and insurance, even with full coverage was under 100 bucks. And, because of the cab build, you KNOW they're sucking up tips.
Biggest costs on these cars is gas, which they suck up, stock build, like a drunk sucks up a pint. And the tips are probably softening that blow big time.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
When I drove I had about a 95% tip rate. About an extra $200 a week never hurt
For two main reasons:

1. THAT is what people were/are programmed to do. WHO doesn't tip their cab driver? The tip has no bearing on the service. Doesn't matter how much the vehicle stinks or the driver smells.

2. Since there is no rating system the passengers are intimidated by the thought of stiffing you. Since the stereotype for a cabbie is usually a surly, English language challenged Ahole. Who want's to be verbally assaulted?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Hmm pay less, expect more = grrrreat model

Yeah no thx lol

And "used cab ubers" = the only ones that make sense financially

Trust a veteran who started out like an idiot with a bimmer, then came to his senses and ubered a gubmint surplus Forestry Service truck (on XL), and finally matured into driving an ex-TCP limo

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
i disagree with you about tipping . 5 star is from our city....many cabs are rude..i am sure he is very nice to people. thier fore...he tip rate is good...he is super smart in how cab system works...and i think he is from usa so many his english is nice and matters are nice so his tips are higher. like any business

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
The issue when you drive for a legit livery company is you make a livable wage... someone doesn't tip? Life goes on. No need to complain on a forum.
Truer words never spoken.

I've half a mind to get my Limo License, and a Tahoe and go into business for myself (since I already have my commercial insurance). I'm BORED of this rideshare thing and being just on the precipice of legality every time I go to work. I have a bunch of buddies who have gotten into the private driver sector, and they're doing SO much better for themselves. While I'm far from failing, I would be much happier in their shoes than mine.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Whatever you do, for the love of god do NOT drive Uber Black in this area. UberX killed their business and now slowly killing themselves. Work for a legit company and gain your own private customers. Part of the reason I did so well driving a cab was having a long list of private customers. Usually every week I’d have at least $300 extra just from those.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Haha, no worries on that. I was already warned by Uber that I would be cut from driving Black due to saturation in Phila. I have plans, that should I do this, I would affiliate myself with a base, and maybe start an LLC and the necessary permits to truly go into business myself after I get enough private clients and regulars. We'll see. But, being used by people at THESE rates is almost de-humanizing. I would maybe keep my pretty little pathfinder to drive Uber part time for a little until everything starts to work its way into something good, and as a personal car.
I already have a list of regulars that I give rides to off app for cash/square reader. At a much higher rate than app fares. So, the shift wouldn't be all that hard for me honestly.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
5 star is rt..i did black long ago..most of my buddies went private with some sub contracting from say 5-6 limo companys..never uber ..20% tips are added...and they have thier own customer base ......
one of my good buddys gave me a private lawfirm for wheel chair who just dont want to do uber...thier customers are they money...they protect thier quarter backs(customers) as many are in giant lawsuits.....lawyers dont shop cheapest ride....i dont get enough business as wheel chair service is small....but my buddies in black car suv's and cars get tons of nyc rides that pay well...many phls to mainline....and good $$.
back in the day black payed incredable 3k week +

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Yeah... I've been around cars for most of my life. When I couldn't work on them, I started driving them. But Uber's just... tiring. Despite making it work, its EXHAUSTING. With hubby's military car loans, picking up a nice Tahoe Hybrid or Suburban (always been a Chevy girl) wouldn't be hard, and I've already been in touch with PPA and PUC about what further actions to take. I think it's time to do right by MYSELF and GTFO of this SHYTshow. lmao
There's a guy in North Wildwood that has his home registered as a base. He used to be UberBlack from what I understand. He flipped out like I am, registered his limo LLC, got his licensing, and now he's four cars strong (including a white expedition stretch) and you almost always see two cars, sometimes all cars, missing from the property and in action.
He's my bloody hero right now :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts