Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother is getting older and her health isn't the best. So I'm the one who drives her to/from doctors appt. I set her up with uber and lyft on days I can't drive her. Her free Lyft rides were expiring and I'm a brand new Lyft driver trying to get my 50 rides in so I can get my bonus. It's been challenging as I've gone days without a lyft ping.

So today while we both are sitting in my car mom turned on her passenger app and I turn on my driver app. As it happens there was 100% surge (lyft version anyway). She makes her request and and someone 5 min away is assigned. So she cancels. She does it again and someone else is assigned. So she cancels. We drive to a different location where there is no car in sight. I keep my driver app open. She updates her location and again someone else is assigned. She cancels. We driver further away. We are now on a back road to her house that cuts through a cemetery. I am the only alive driver in the area so she requests again and again the request goes to someone else. We took screen shots of the requests. Not on her phone and mine. Seriously she is sitting in my car, how is possible anyone is closer than me? To me this proves there is some preferential treatment to assigning riders to drivers.

But I'm hesitant to contact Lyft because I'm not sure if we broke the rules or not. Whatever the case, it demonstrates rides are not assigned to the closest drivers. However the rides are assigned it doesn't seem fair. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she could see my car in her app. We even noticed how my car following her pin as we drove down the road. We took screen shot showing I was right at the same location she was stating I was 1 min away. Then we took a screen shot that a driver assigned was 5 min away before we canceled. The reason given for cancellation was the driver was too far away. Since I was one minute and the other driver was 5 min.

I have completed 8 rides. Actually earlier today she did request a ride at the hospital and I got the ping. I took her to my brothers house for a little while then the two of us went to dinner. There was a lot of activity where we ate and a lot of drivers around and prime time pricing was at one point 150%. I was guessing they were assigning the prime passengers to certain drivers. So we kept driving and requesting in different locations. The most ironic was when we were in the middle of the cemetery. Her app showed my car and no other cars but I didn't get the ride.

All my papers are current. Indeed I got an email when we got home stating I was lucky to be chosen driver this weekend to make guarantee fares during certain times Fri-Sun.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
It should work. It could be other drivers may have waited a lot longer than you have that's why priority were given to them within reasonable distance. I don't know if there is case where if the other person is too close to you. I would try at least you or the other person step outside the car and try again. Aside from that, I am not sure. The other thing to watch out for is that their system always watching if people are cheating. I am not exactly sure what constitutes cheating, maybe people are asking friends and relatives for repeated ride so they can earn some sort of bonus. Just make sure not too many repeated friends or family members, it may raise flags in their system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
...you mention you got a ping from your mom earlier. I read somewhere that Lyft only allows only one "match" between a certain driver and passenger to avoid scams from drivers on bonuses.

A few months ago i took a passenger to a bar, a few hours later I drop a passenger in the same place. The passenger from earlier approach me and ask me for a ride. She requested a Lyft in front of me, but the nearest Lyft was like 10 minutes away. I told her to get in, and requested from the car. She requested 3 times, but someone else was getting the ping, even when inside my car. I told her, no problem I could drive her for free the few blocks to her home (less than a mile). She handed me a $20 bill, I offered her change. She told me to keep the $20.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I'm hesitant to contact Lyft because I'm not sure if we broke the rules or not. Whatever the case, it demonstrates rides are not assigned to the closest drivers. However the rides are assigned it doesn't seem fair. Anyone have any advice?
While it may not "seem fair", Lyft views your scheme to bump up your ride count in order qualify for a bonus as an attempt to defraud them, so my advice is to not contact them. What you experienced is by design, and yes, it's part of Lyft's effort to prevent fraudulent use or abuse of their system by unconscionable drivers like you and riders like your mother.

Simply put, the Lyft system doesn't allow a rider with ride credits to repeatedly connect with the same driver. In fact, months after purchasing a second phone and setting up a second Lyft account, even with no remaining ride credits, I still cannot use the Lyft account on my second phone to request myself when I'm in drive mode on my main phone. It's as if there is a permanent block between the two accounts. Of course I have no legitimate reason to request myself for a ride, so my attempt to do so was strictly for test purposes.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...you mention you got a ping from your mom earlier. I read somewhere that Lyft only allows only one "match" between a certain driver and passenger to avoid scams from drivers on bonuses.

A few months ago i took a passenger to a bar, a few hours later I drop a passenger in the same place. The passenger from earlier approach me and ask me for a ride. She requested a Lyft in front of me, but the nearest Lyft was like 10 minutes away. I told her to get in, and requested from the car. She requested 3 times, but someone else was getting the ping, even when inside my car. I told her, no problem I could drive her for free the few blocks to her home (less than a mile). She handed me a $20 bill, I offered her change. She told me to keep the $20.
I'm guessing that is what happened to me. Thanks for the info. Karma has a magical way of paying back what you give out. Right on for the $20.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh wow. I don't understand why they care if you give a rider more than one ride. They're still making money. I can see shutting it down after the 5th time and beyond if they're worried about scammers,but after once...they stop matching you with said rider?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While it may not "seem fair", Lyft views your scheme to bump up your ride count in order qualify for a bonus as an attempt to defraud them, so my advice is to not contact them. What you experienced is by design, and yes, it's part of Lyft's effort to prevent fraudulent use or abuse of their system by unconscionable drivers like you and riders like your mother.

Simply put, the Lyft system doesn't allow a rider with ride credits to repeatedly connect with the same driver. In fact, months after purchasing a second phone and setting up a second Lyft account, even with no remaining ride credits, I still cannot use the Lyft account on my second phone to request myself when I'm in drive mode on my main phone. It's as if there is a permanent block between the two accounts. Of course I have no legitimate reason to request myself for a ride, so my attempt to do so was strictly for test purposes.
I take offense that you call me and my mother unconscionable. We were not trying to defraud anyone. My mother is an elderly woman and wasn't certain how to use Lyft. She is trying to be more independent knowing it's a toll for me to drive her multiple times a week to her appointments. I was struggling to get rides here bc most users in Denver seem to use Uber. Even though she got free ride credits she only got $5 credits that doesn't take you far so she ended up paying in the end. She was a legitimate rider and I was a legitimate driver. Now that she understands how it works she's planning on using the service more often. The destinations were legitimate as well. I wasn't driving her around the block just to get a driver credit. If my mother chooses that she wants to pay me to drive her to the doctor that's her own prerogative. I don't see how she or I are committing fraud.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure how the assigning algorithms work. But I'm really curious why you feel this topic is "urgent." :confused:
You could be right it wasn't urgent. My thinking actually question is if I should raise the issue to Lyft in a timely manner. I'm thankful for all the helpful information.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I don't see how she or I are committing fraud.
Hence my use of the word unconscionable. You yourself stated, "I'm hesitant to contact Lyft because I'm not sure if we broke the rules or not". You can't have it both ways, that is, bypassing Lyft support and instead posting here, asking for "urgent advice", expecting some sort of justice but then taking offense when you're called out out for your actions. Go ahead and knock yourself out! Contact Lyft support directly and find out for yourself what they have to say about your scheme.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hence my use of the word unconscionable. You yourself stated, "I'm hesitant to contact Lyft because I'm not sure if we broke the rules or not". You can't have it both ways, that is, bypassing Lyft support posting here instead hoping for a more favorable answer and then taking offense when you're called out out for your actions. Knock yourself out! Go ahead and contact Lyft support to find out for yourself what they have to say about your scheme.
Being unsure if I broke the rules or not and asking the question here does not constitute unconscionable actions. The definition of unconscionable:
Full Definition of unconscionable
  1. 1: not guided or controlled by conscience : unscrupulous <an unconscionable villain>
  2. 2a : excessive, unreasonable <found an unconscionable number of defects in the car>b : shockingly unfair or unjust <unconscionable sales practices>

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unconscionable

I was a driver she was a legitimate passenger needing a ride to the hospital for a CAT scan. She requested another ride and I was there. Indeed the Lyft policy states if a pax is running errands and intends to be in a store for more than 10 minutes they should end the ride and call for a new ride when the errand is completed. See: https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214583147-Policies-for-Passenger-Uses-of-Lyft
Moreover I only get responses to about 1/2 my support questions from Lyft. So asking other drivers doesn't make me an unconscionable driver who is committing fraud. Lyft say they assign th closest driver to the pax which clearly they do not. So it's not me being fraudulent but Lyft.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Being unsure if I broke the rules or not and asking the question here does not constitute unconscionable actions.
To be clear, it was your attempt to bump up your ride count by repeatedly providing your mother with discounted rides in order to qualify for a bonus - and that fact that you don't think you were doing anything fraudulent - that lead me to call you out as unconscionable.
The definition of unconscionable:
  1. 1: not guided or controlled by conscience : unscrupulous <an unconscionable villain>
Exactly!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
N
To be clear, it was your attempt to bump up your ride count by repeatedly providing your mother with discounted rides in order to qualify for a bonus - and that fact that you don't think you were doing anything fraudulent - that lead me to call you out as unconscionable.

Exactly!
no it was a win-win proposition. My mother needed a ride and used Lyft to help me get more rides. She was charged. So why should Lyft care? They made money off her. I'm an approved driver. Just because it helped me increase my ride count doesn't mean I committed fraud.

·
Administrator
16,449 Posts

Just be aware that in California, you can be ticketed for accepting a cash fare and if found out you will be deactivated by Uber.

Also, you will obviously have no insurance coverage in case of accident.

·
Administrator
16,449 Posts
N

no it was a win-win proposition. My mother needed a ride and used Lyft to help me get more rides. She was charged. So why should Lyft care? They made money off her. I'm an approved driver. Just because it helped me increase my ride count doesn't mean I committed fraud.
I think what matters is that Lyft considers it fraud. I would not contact Lyft.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hence my use of the word unconscionable. You yourself stated, "I'm hesitant to contact Lyft because I'm not sure if we broke the rules or not". You can't have it both ways, that is, bypassing Lyft support posting here instead hoping for a more favorable answer and then taking offense when you're called out out for your actions. Knock yourself out! Go ahead and contact Lyft support to find out for yourself what they have to say about your scheme.
Being unsure if I broke the rules or not and asking the question here does not constitute unconscionable actions. The definition of unconscionable:
Full Definition of unconscionable
  2. 2a : excessive, unreasonable <found an unconscionable number of defects in the car>b : shockingly unfair or unjust <unconscionable sales practices>

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unconscionable

I was a driver she was a legitimate passenger needing a ride to the hospital for a CAT scan. She requested another ride and I was there. Indeed the Lyft policy states if a pax is running errands and intends to be in a store for a while they should end the ride and call a new Lyft when done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.