Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Upfront cash premium negotiation techniques

Pay 
3K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  UberBastid 
#1 ·
Do you negotiate price if it appeared to be long trip with low chance for return pickups? Can you share the BKMs?

#4 ·
With uber/lyft you need to just cancel..

You run the risk of..
A. having the customer report you for "extorting them"
B. having the customer tell support they never got the ride and scamming you of the entire trip
c. having them tell support that they paid you cash, and getting a refund off the cash amount.

A. $100 through uber, nothing more, you get deactivated (total $100 and you lose your job)
B. $100- MINUS $100 after you drop them off ($0 total)
C. $100 + $50 -$200 after they scam support (total $-50) (YES scamming you for more than they paid you)

Your best bet is to just say no.

#5 ·
Uber rules allow you to negotiate return trip fees. I have posted this elsewhere, but I'll do it again:

Me: '' Good morning. *swiping ap* Oh, I see we're going to San Francisco. Great. You need to know that there is a 'return trip surcharge' for out of town trips. I charge fifty cents per mile. San Francisco is about 200 miles away so that would be a $100 cash fee, up front before we leave town. Do we need to go to an ATM?''
I let this sink in for awhile. I usually get a blank stare as they consider ...
I go on to say: ''You don't have to pay this. If you wish, I will cancel the ride with no charge to you and you can try another driver. Up to you.''

At this point I get a couple of questions.
Pax: Is this ok with Uber?
Answer: Yes. We are allowed to negotiate return trip fees.
Pax: I thought it was all-inclusive.
Me: No, its not. The amount Uber quoted you was for the trip TO the destination. I have additional costs. Wear and tear on the car and me, gas, my three hours behind the wheel to get home ... these are all costs that Uber doesn't charge for in the initial trip fees that they charge.
Pax: Can I just tip you on the ap?
Me: No. Uber won't allow a 'tip' of that size.
Pax; Can't I just pay you when we get there.
Me: No. Believe it or not, some people lie. They will promise a payment, then just walk away at the end of the ride - then there I am, stuck 200 miles from home. We need to take care of it before we leave town.

If they get pissed, or attitude starts showing up ... I canx RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, and wish them the best of luck. Remember, you're going to spend three hours with the ass-hat in a small cabin.

A one star rating? I really don't give a husky **** about that. Can't spend those stars.
Four out of five will pay the fee. One of those four will negotiate the fifty cents a mile rate, and I will give a little on that, but not much.

This is what I do, and have successfully done many times.

#7 ·
Uber rules allow you to negotiate return trip fees. I have posted this elsewhere, but I'll do it again:

Me: '' Good morning. swiping ap Oh, I see we're going to San Francisco. Great. You need to know that there is a 'return trip surcharge' for out of town trips. I charge fifty cents per mile. San Francisco is about 200 miles away so that would be a $100 cash fee, up front before we leave town. Do we need to go to an ATM?''
I let this sink in for awhile. I usually get a blank stare as they consider ...
I go on to say: ''You don't have to pay this. If you wish, I will cancel the ride with no charge to you and you can try another driver. Up to you.''

At this point I get a couple of questions.
Pax: Is this ok with Uber?
Answer: Yes. We are allowed to negotiate return trip fees.
Pax: I thought it was all-inclusive.
Me: No, its not. The amount Uber quoted you was for the trip TO the destination. I have additional costs. Wear and tear on the car and me, gas, my three hours behind the wheel to get home ... these are all costs that Uber doesn't charge for in the initial trip fees that they charge.
Pax: Can I just tip you on the ap?
Me: No. Uber won't allow a 'tip' of that size.
Pax; Can't I just pay you when we get there.
Me: No. Believe it or not, some people lie. They will promise a payment, then just walk away at the end of the ride - then there I am, stuck 200 miles from home. We need to take care of it before we leave town.

If they get pissed, or attitude starts showing up ... I canx RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, and wish them the best of luck. Remember, you're going to spend three hours with the ass-hat in a small cabin.

A one star rating? I really don't give a husky **** about that. Can't spend those stars.
Four out of five will pay the fee. One of those four will negotiate the fifty cents a mile rate, and I will give a little on that, but not much.

This is what I do, and have successfully done many times.
Nice! I really like your cool strategy. I am going to use that in the future. I have had a couple long distance 4 hour trips that I previously declined for fear of getting cheated and didn't want to believe the horrible lie, "I will tip you in the app."

#19 · (Edited)
The pax help section used to have a paragraph that stated that drivers may charge them a return fee for long trips. This was sort of "permission" by Uber for drivers to charge a return fee.

Around two years ago Uber not only removed that paragraph, they added a clause to the driver contract that expressly forbids drivers from charging any additional fees from pax.

By the way, when I did rideshare, I accepted three long trips but cancelled all three because the pax refused to pay me a cash-upfront return fee.

#22 ·
...Around two years ago Uber not only removed that paragraph, they added a clause to the driver contract that expressly forbids drivers from charging any additional fees from pax.
That's horrible hypocrisy. The driver is an IC and is paid 1970's taxi rates, but yet is not allowed to ask for return fare. So, I am treated like an employee, paid crappy employee fares but have no right as an IC to charge the cost of the service for the return trip that is likely deadhead miles?

#33 ·
Given that our legal system is for crap with these kinds of things, unfortunately this is how it has to be sometimes. I purposely have a 2 million dollar umbrella policy so that if my car, house or me are involved in a law suit, my insurance company either has to fight like hell on my behalf or write a check for up to two mil. Costs me $200 a year and then I don't worry about most things. I would understand if a friend sued me in those circumstances, there really isn't a choice if they need to get their injuries dealt with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.