Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Judge Chen questioned where there are differences in the contracts for Uber's right to control. " The language may be different but the outcome is the same," Chen said."

Uber's right to control . . . That says it all. U controls rates, what rating (too high) a driver must keep to be able to access the app among other things.

My opinion . . . If Uber would raise the rates for X drivers to a min of 1/2 the local taxi rates, and drop their percentage by 5%, it could still see a profit and less driver turnover.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Judge Chen questioned where there are differences in the contracts for Uber's right to control. " The language may be different but the outcome is the same," Chen said."

Uber's right to control . . . That says it all. U controls rates, what rating (too high) a driver must keep to be able to access the app among other things.

My opinion . . . If Uber would raise the rates for X drivers to a min of 1/2 the local taxi rates, and drop their percentage by 5%, it could still see a profit and less driver turnover.
That's just to logical..Uber good business sense?? Nope!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No offense to CA drivers intended by this comment.

If a lawyer fought for a more-balanced agreement between Uber & the drivers, it could be a win-win situation for Uber & the drivers as well.

Even as an employee less control equals a happier worker.

JM2¢W

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
>>>Boutrous, though, claimed that you can't be viewing Uber's contracts as employment contracts to begin with.
"This isn’t a contract of employment. This is a software licensing agreement," Boutrous said.<<<

That made me laugh almost as much as watching the GOP convention earlier this evening.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Michael - Cleveland said:
"This isn't a contract of employment. This is a software licensing agreement," Boutrous said.
Yea, suuuuuure! That "licensing agreement" contains too many infringements on a self-employed business.

JM2¢W

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
>>>Boutrous, though, claimed that you can't be viewing Uber's contracts as employment contracts to begin with.
"This isn't a contract of employment. This is a software licensing agreement," Boutrous said.<<<

That made me laugh almost as much as watching the GOP convention earlier this evening.
Ha ha the Donald! OMG!! It made me laugh as well.

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
"Liss-Riordan told the court that VP and Global Operations Manager, Ryan Graves, said there was no practice in place for Uber management to check which version of the contract the drivers had signed before they get activated. She also said that driver managers have discretion to decide who gets deactivated and who gets a second chance."

WAIT!!!!... As a driver, I have a manager?

Well, that throws the whole "Be your own boss" aspect out the window.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Another thought on why UberX Is employment.
I OWN a CAB. I can pay my franchise fee for YEARS and never accept a ping from my franchise company.
UberX is not even a real thing, outside the uber app.
Sure you could hand out businesses cards for cash work, but in EVERY market this is illegal.
That's why in Cali, when several drivers licensed and insured their vehicles legally for X some months back, Uber deactivated the accounts.
Uber maintains 100% control over UberX drivers.
"Hi, want a ride? I Uber!!"
"Feck off *********, if I want an Uber, I'll ping one!"

·
Super Moderator
15,939 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 70 Posts