Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 make sure you take pictures and copies of all documents and receipts.
#2 check with Uber what courses they currently offer for free.
#3 after each course you take, ask the TLC if they received confirmation.
#4 don't be afraid to send an email to the TLC as they respond quickly.
#5 there is literally no parking at the Chelsea uber office and very hard at the LIC TLC office.

Total cost for license was very close to $600.
Ok day one December 1,2015 I applied for appointment with New York city taxi and limousine commission hence NYC TLC.
I had to reschedule it as it was on dec 24. Do not reschedule as this can easily set you back over a month.
December 2015 got my class D license changed to class E.
This did not cost the $20 uber says it will. I payed $89. Dmv said it depends when your license expires, which made no sense since I had renewed mine 5 months earlier.
I believe You are going to need the Defensive driver course before the appointment. This can be taken for FREE at the uber office.

January 21.2016 went to the appointment with part B filled out and all documents that are required.
I'm not going to write about the cost of the application since it could change. which I believe it did.
so very easy and straight forward, you go take all documents they require, pay the fee and then they tell you that you must take the "24 hour FHV course" and FHV test.
You cannot take either before you go to your appointment, as the institutions will not allow you. As soon as you get your receipts of the application there will be an applicant license number, that is what they will ask for the course. on the day of your appointment you will be required to be fingerprinted and drug tested, this will all be done at the office building. This whole process takes about 1:30 hours, if you go to the long island city office, remember there is no parking close by, there are a few parking garages that you could check for prices online.
So that same day, do not hesitate on calling the colleges to schedule the 24 hour course, wait time could easily be over 2 weeks, Mind you I was the first class at LaGuardia college, and this was in February. they might have the course in other languages. You do not need to "pass" this course. They will give you the TLC - FHV rule book. the course costs $175. take this asap. read and study the rule book as many questions will come in the test. you can also buy a Geographia map of NYC. you will need to know how to look up addresses and read this map for the test. You should schedule the test asap after the course. the test cost $75 and I took it at the same college. it is 80 questions long and pretty easy if you pay attention in class and study the laws and regulations also the fines.
so after those 3 days completely lost taking that course, I was fortunate to be the first to take the WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle) course for FREE at the uber office.
so all of that was done by February, and after being very afraid of being denied and loosing all that time and money (please read the TLC rules about that) I finally received the license by mail almost 9 weeks after the appointment.
As soon as I got it I went down to buggy tlc rentals, (which you don't really have to because you can file an application online), and next day picked up the car (2014 sonata, if your were wondering) and they send the info like tlc plates vin insurance registration directly to uber, so right then in their office I received a text with link to the uber Partner app and your user and password. by the same night I was on the road and was very lucky, made 275 in 6 hours something I haven't been able to do again smh.

I might come back and edit with prices if I have the time since uber wants us to work 50 hours this week for that $1500 promotion. but so far in 5 days of work, I can say do not drink any liquids as I couldn't get to a bathroom for 5 hours, rentals are ****in expensive ($400 weekly) and if looks like owning your own is expensive too. I hope this helps any newcomers since no one knew anything about these courses since they are new,

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well well well! It looks like De Blasio threw in more wrenches into the licensing process. I remember getting licensed wasnt difficult but it required at least 4 full days of complete nonsense and than came the 3 month wait. Now they have yet another course and test to take? Its all complete nonsense.

As for parking, I remember parking about a mile out and taking an Uber in. Its pretty silly. In a way Im happy they have put another obstacle in the way so only dedicated people will want to do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the only obstacle I see now that I've been driving for a week is the rental and fuel cost,
Well well well! It looks like De Blasio threw in more wrenches into the licensing process. I remember getting licensed wasnt difficult but it required at least 4 full days of complete nonsense and than came the 3 month wait. Now they have yet another course and test to take? Its all complete nonsense.

As for parking, I remember parking about a mile out and taking an Uber in. Its pretty silly. In a way Im happy they have put another obstacle in the way so only dedicated people will want to do this.
Hey, you seem to be in the know, would you know if the tolls are charged to the passenger full price? I use ez-pass and the amount in the payout seems higher than what I pay. also any tips on renting leasing o buying? few drivers want to sell me their Lease to own but I'm not a fan of the whole weekly payment.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Go on Autotrader and Cargurus. Look up all your options. Used Corolla, Prius, Camry, Sienna, etc. Dont spend over 15000 for anything. If you want to go black nothing over 30. Looking at Autotrader lots of 2014 Corollas for 12 to 13k which will work well. Buy it outright. If you have to lend money from family or friends do it. YES there is a long silly process in getting the thing properly plated but you can do it. There will yet be another checklist where you go station to station waiting in lines.

The amount for going over the Hudson is about 20...Uber pays you. I think its now 22. Havent paid attention. Just use NY EZpass for NY not NJ EZPass.

Cost of insurance for the Corolla Im guessing will be 4 grand full coverage.

Once you are in business go out there 80 hours a week and work your butt off. Once you have made back the money on the car is when you can take a day off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is the perfect vehicle. Under 30 and does all calls on the Uber platform. Gets better mpg than Suburban and shorter on length. This one is in Florida so you will have to buy a one way Jetblue ticket for 160 to pick it up and drive it back. Its basically a little bigger than Highlander but it can pickup Black/Suv, Uberxl, Uberx. You wont fit all loads into it so you will turn away biz, but you can fit most. Since its 2wd will get 17 mpg Im guessing. Only thing is manual climate control but you will learn how to swing it.
20160403_214950.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it! I have a cousin who wants to sell me a Prius, but I'm gonna do the whole investigation on the TLC process and how much money I'm gonna need upfront.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The thing about the Prius is it will only accept Uberx. The goal is to constantly keep someone in the back. If you have a vehicle like this one you can take it all. Large groups, cargo, etc. Thus get out of airports faster, etc

28k for an SUV is a steal. Some here probably paid 50 grand for New Suburban.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the only obstacle I see now that I've been driving for a week is the rental and fuel cost,

Hey, you seem to be in the know, would you know if the tolls are charged to the passenger full price? I use ez-pass and the amount in the payout seems higher than what I pay. also any tips on renting leasing o buying? few drivers want to sell me their Lease to own but I'm not a fan of the whole weekly payment.
The rider only pays the ez pass price on the tolls, EXCEPT, going to NJ, the toll is only $15 and uber charges the rider $20. So your up $5. Take advantage of being in NJ while dropping off a pax and gas up, gas is super cheap over there. Dont pick anybody up in NJ because its not worth it, the rates are too low.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No. The computer is not a dumb one. It will make every attempt to return you back to Manhattan. I was up in New Haven and wondering what I should do. I kept Ubering around picking up Yale students. Finally I get a qued call about 10 miles south. Seemed unusual its so far until I got there and these guys come out of a restaurant in suits..bam...back to New York City.

My suggestion is to hang out on Jersey City side, Newport, and do 5 runs. If after the 5th run you dont go back to NYC just head back through the tunnel.

Toll isnt 15 with ezpass. If you are paying cash remember Uber only reimburses ezpass discount rate. In NY you need an NY Ezpass and in NJ an NJ Ezpass.

Make sure your address in the system is set to Ubers office in chelsea.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The rider only pays the ez pass price on the tolls, EXCEPT, going to NJ, the toll is only $15 and uber charges the rider $20. So your up $5. Take advantage of being in NJ while dropping off a pax and gas up, gas is super cheap over there. Dont pick anybody up in NJ because its not worth it, the rates are too low.
The toll is $10.50/off peak, $12.50/on peak. It's $15, only if you pay cash.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
No. The computer is not a dumb one. It will make every attempt to return you back to Manhattan. I was up in New Haven and wondering what I should do. I kept Ubering around picking up Yale students. Finally I get a qued call about 10 miles south. Seemed unusual its so far until I got there and these guys come out of a restaurant in suits..bam...back to New York City.

My suggestion is to hang out on Jersey City side, Newport, and do 5 runs. If after the 5th run you dont go back to NYC just head back through the tunnel.

Toll isnt 15 with ezpass. If you are paying cash remember Uber only reimburses ezpass discount rate. In NY you need an NY Ezpass and in NJ an NJ Ezpass.

What kind of advice is that? 5 runs in Jersey city? That plan could easily waste 2 hours working $0.85/mile. Even if the tunnel's backed up, it still would benefit you to go back to NYC.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

Who pays the toll if you are heading back to NJ without a pax after dropping off a pax at NJ?

Also is ez pass mandatory for all nyc drivers? Are you FORCED to have it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you dont have ezpass I dont know what to tell you. Uber only pays discounted rate at NYC bridges and tunnels i.e. Midtown Tunnel $5.54. Also lines are huge at cash lanes.

Also if you use the carpool lane approaching the midtown tunnel from 6 to 10 you must have passenger plus ezpass otherwise its a lot of traffic to wait in.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Also is ez pass mandatory for all nyc drivers? Are you FORCED to have it?
All NYC/TLC Medallion, Black Car and Livery vehicles MUST have a working EZ-Pass as per TLC rules and regulations.

You may get a ticket if you are in line for the Cash lane at any of the toll bridges or tunnels run by Port Authority of NY and NJ.

This requirement is for NYC/TLC vehicles only. Gipsy cabs do whatever they want, as usual.

FYI.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know about the legality issues but dont care. Let them ticket me, go ahead.

I do know that if you go back empty you are down 12.50, but if you go back full its 20 dollars plus fare...25 dollars? Its up to you. Its your car afterall.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts