Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started doing deliveries on Uber Eats as a way to make some side cash and I noticed the frustrations felt about working for Uber. The Uber fee they take out is ridiculous and there are many lawsuits into the company's practices going on and a lot of drivers feel stiffed by the company

With all the #deleteuber trends going on the company is in crisis mode and is trying to save itself and I think it's karma biting them in the ass.

I'm surprised talk of forming a union hasn't taken off??! The time is ripe to form a Union in order to negotiate better contracts for drivers/delivery people and force the company to provide benefits + provide car maintainence/gas costs

I'm serious about unionizing if anyone is interested respond to this thread and let's get a group started!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
independent contractors cant form unions under us law, but they can form 'Associations' like the independent truck drivers association. the best example i can think of is the drivers association that formed last year in Seattle. no mattet what its called, we drivers need it, only problem is most drivers (not all) will not join, they too busy making ' life changing monies' (sarcasm)

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I started doing deliveries on Uber Eats as a way to make some side cash and I noticed the frustrations felt about working for Uber. The Uber fee they take out is ridiculous and there are many lawsuits into the company's practices going on and a lot of drivers feel stiffed by the company

With all the #deleteuber trends going on the company is in crisis mode and is trying to save itself and I think it's karma biting them in the ass.

I'm surprised talk of forming a union hasn't taken off??! The time is ripe to form a Union in order to negotiate better contracts for drivers/delivery people and force the company to provide benefits + provide car maintainence/gas costs

I'm serious about unionizing if anyone is interested respond to this thread and let's get a group started!!
Hahaha! I've been in the limo, taxi, trans business for a cumulative total of 20 years, and there's always someone wanting to unionize. Here's why it doesn't work: drivers can't get on the same page to decide on lunch, left alone an operating model.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yesssssss lets do this!!!!!!!!
Wait, there is a union monthly fee???
Never mind

And that my friends is how you'll lose half of the drivers, and that way, it will not work.

It's over, time to move on.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Yesssssss lets do this!!!!!!!!
Wait, there is a union monthly fee???
Never mind

And that my friends is how you'll lose half of the drivers, and that way, it will not work.

It's over, time to move on.
You are so right.
My experience was a catch 22. In order to legally raise funds an association needs to incorporate. Incorporating costs a significant amount of money and requires the ability to raise funds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It takes one smart very very angry/pissed off person that will devote his no life into hate life to do such thing. Someone who'd start go fund me in chicago to form association so people can donate anonymously. No one needs backslash for first proceedings. With money gathered formed hidden association when all is prepared for a hit then people will follow seeing this is finally real. You're trying to fight company that has half a billion in a virtual wallet. I doubt it will ever happen remember this thing has been created with design gurus, math gurus, sun tzu like strategist no city in this country was able to defend against it. Ive been driving a taxi before and you have no idea how people tried hard to fight city on regulations with stamps stands parking space. It's ridiculous ... uber came hefty bribed whole city and they operate how they want. Uber doest give a shit about drivers you can't even call them and you work for them... half of drivers earn pennies thinking it's their fault, and 90 percent don't even know they not really insured for this gig yet we hAve so many drivers out.... you need a miracle and someone that worked for nasa. To fend them off. So dream on like I do everyday but uber is here to stay forever and ants will pour every day. There is demand they have best supply and we're just pure ants. Change jobs or die trying...

·
Registered
145 Posts

Best of luck buddy. I hate to burst your bubble, it ain't gonna happen.

There are over 3000 cabbies licensed in the city, and you couldn't lock 100 of them in a room to form a union to fight Uber. How do you think you got stuck taking crappy rates from Uber? ... Travis needed to lowball the rates to drive cabbies out, and he will continue to do so on the backs of poor suckers like me and you.

Sorry ol'boy, Chicago is Uber town. Unionization ain't happening. Too many hungry folks with different agenda are ready to justify working for peanuts.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It really is herding cats, but if you are masochistic pm me and I can tell you what has and hasn't worked, as well as put you in touch with others.
Things like changing pool and raising rates are pretty unrealistic.
What is realistic is an association that allows drivers to share info and ideas and have a little fun doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts