Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen undercover TMR cars? or some private investigators driving around in Brisbane?

On Saturday night i was waiting at the traffic lights and this car came behind me.. and I can see from rear view mirror that those guys wearing vests.. and the guy in passenger seat took out his video cam and starts recording my car.

And the driver tried very hard to see if there any any pax in the car…

And when I got the green light… they just drove off in another lane…? Didn’t flash the lights.. and that car has those flash lights setup.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I've heard stories (several times now) of TMR posing as passengers (seems most common one is pickup from BNE Domestic and drop off at BNE International) so it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone seen undercover TMR cars? or some private investigators driving around in Brisbane?

On Saturday night i was waiting at the traffic lights and this car came behind me.. and I can see from rear view mirror that those guys wearing vests.. and the guy in passenger seat took out his video cam and starts recording my car.

And the driver tried very hard to see if there any any pax in the car…

And when I got the green light… they just drove off in another lane…? Didn't flash the lights.. and that car has those flash lights setup.
I had exactly the same experience last Friday night. They stopped behind me, video taping my car, followed me a short distance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd say they are gathering evidence that they may use, depending on the outcome of other cases currently in court...

TSC v's Nathan Brenner case will rule on whether these stings are legal in Victoria on Sept 11 in the Melb Magistrates court: the outcome of this case and the fact that recent charges were dropped in NSW to bust 24 Uber drivers in a similar manner.

Although these things happened in other states, I think all Australian States with Uber pay attention to the precedents set in the courts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Please someone get a license plate and car make and model etc.
I do not believe undercover work is legal for them, the police have special provisions for undercover and unmarked cars, there is nothing I have seen for the DTMR to do it. A private investigator might be different though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting article ubercurious. Good find.
I wonder if the contract will go ahead once the Premier finds out what the Dept. are doing behind hie back or if the scheme is to talk the talk(make nice with Uberite voters) and knife Uber later on.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
I've seen a Lancer (can't remember what colour) and a White Dual cab Hilux with flat tray both unmarked.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Please someone get a license plate and car make and model etc.
I do not believe undercover work is legal for them, the police have special provisions for undercover and unmarked cars, there is nothing I have seen for the DTMR to do it. A private investigator might be different though.
Will ask my mate who used to work for them a while back about unmarked cars and see what he has to say. There would be nothing stopping them from collecting information I wouldn't think, but having the powers to pull you over and fine you would be a different matter I would think in an unmarked car. Only unmarked cars I've ever noticed with flashing lights installed have been the cops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts