Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investig...hare-Drivers-Behind-the-Wheel--493520901.html

When your Lyft or Uber arrives, you probably double check that the driver's name and car matches the information listed on your app. But the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit uncovered a new scheme that allows anyone to circumvent background checks and vehicle inspections and pose as a rideshare driver, leaving passengers with virtually no way to spot a phony.

NBC Bay Area went undercover and joined a network of messaging apps and chatrooms, where we found brokers hawking Uber and Lyft driver accounts. It costs between $100 and $200 a week to rent a black market account, and around $800 to buy one. Clients pay the brokers to set up the accounts, and the renters then link to their bank accounts. Any money they make driving is theirs to keep.

NBC Bay Area rented an account to learn how the process works, but didn't drive. The account history, however, showed cars giving rides to plenty of unsuspecting passengers throughout the Bay Area.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Kudos lol

Even better is that this story is taking place at in think both headquarters in San Francisco right under their noses lol.

I am pretty confident this is going on in miami as well.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I heard an an Uber ad YESTERDAY in the supermarket on a local NYC radio station.

It said something about that they'll help you get a TLC license if you need it.

Really? NYC passed a cap on new licenses. No new licenses are being issued.

The scenario ITT is exactly what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
The funny thing is you can change profile pics that easily lol

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I heard an an Uber ad YESTERDAY in the supermarket on a local NYC radio station.

It said something about that they'll help you get a TLC license if you need it.

Really? NYC passed a cap on new licenses. No new licenses are being issued.

The scenario ITT is exactly what I was thinking.
The ad people probably weren't told about it.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investig...hare-Drivers-Behind-the-Wheel--493520901.html

When your Lyft or Uber arrives, you probably double check that the driver's name and car matches the information listed on your app. But the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit uncovered a new scheme that allows anyone to circumvent background checks and vehicle inspections and pose as a rideshare driver, leaving passengers with virtually no way to spot a phony.

NBC Bay Area went undercover and joined a network of messaging apps and chatrooms, where we found brokers hawking Uber and Lyft driver accounts. It costs between $100 and $200 a week to rent a black market account, and around $800 to buy one. Clients pay the brokers to set up the accounts, and the renters then link to their bank accounts. Any money they make driving is theirs to keep.

NBC Bay Area rented an account to learn how the process works, but didn't drive. The account history, however, showed cars giving rides to plenty of unsuspecting passengers throughout the Bay Area.
So how would the picture and car match with the record on file with Uber?

·
Banned
7,360 Posts
Go to Tampa airport you’ll see at 35 percent of the drivers there are bogus, Uber and Lyft have some problems with their IT employees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts