Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Premium Member
In the perfect uber world as beep and most of us would like to see馃槺.
Technically mum should go along on the to drop the kids and then be dropped back home.

Premium Member
One of my pet hates is unacompanied minors. All you can do is drive off and cancel the trip. I don't even bother talking to them about it now just driver up slowly keep your doors always locked and if they are to young drive off and cancel the trip. Most times you dont even need to wind down the windows to talk to them it is that obvious. Make sure to cancel the trip unaccompanied minor and if you drive off, do it near by so you get the cancellation fee. As for uber they know this happens and it is easy for them to see. There data trail lets them know as all phones have imei numbers so even if the account is used on multiple phones they know that. In other words the parents put the app on their childrens phones Uber can see the different phone using that account at schools etc and they even track all phones movements. Big data makes it easy to apply filters and work out what each phone user is doing. So of coarse uber know this is happening they can even identify it and block that imei number for that phone from logging on to Uber and not even have to block the account. It should come as no suprise that uber will push the laws and flout them esspecially when there are bad parents out there that don't care for their childrens safety. If you accept the trip for a minor you are responsible for them and if something goes wrong even though it is unlikely you are responcible. Uber can do something about this but they don't. Uber are resopncible for their product and it is no different to making a product to do something and not making it safe. Could you imagine buying a car to get you from A - B but it was made without brakes and the manufacturer skips out by saying it is made to move up to the location but its up to everyone else to stop it. Ubers decisions are driven by proifts not saftety. The irony is uber not only cant make a safe product they cant make a profit either. Speaks volumes about the leadership of Uber they have had decades to fix there product now.

Premium Member
One of my pet hates is unacompanied minors. All you can do is drive off and cancel the trip. I don't even bother talking to them about it now just driver up slowly keep your doors always locked and if they are to young drive off and cancel the trip. Most times you dont even need to wind down the windows to talk to them it is that obvious. Make sure to cancel the trip unaccompanied minor and if you drive off, do it near by so you get the cancellation fee. As for uber they know this happens and it is easy for them to see. There data trail lets them know as all phones have imei numbers so even if the account is used on multiple phones they know that. In other words the parents put the app on their childrens phones Uber can see the different phone using that account at schools etc and they even track all phones movements. Big data makes it easy to apply filters and work out what each phone user is doing. So of coarse uber know this is happening they can even identify it and block that imei number for that phone from logging on to Uber and not even have to block the account. It should come as no suprise that uber will push the laws and flout them esspecially when there are bad parents out there that don't care for their childrens safety. If you accept the trip for a minor you are responsible for them and if something goes wrong even though it is unlikely you are responcible. Uber can do something about this but they don't. Uber are resopncible for their product and it is no different to making a product to do something and not making it safe. Could you imagine buying a car to get you from A - B but it was made without brakes and the manufacturer skips out by saying it is made to move up to the location but its up to everyone else to stop it. Ubers decisions are driven by proifts not saftety. The irony is uber not only cant make a safe product they cant make a profit either. Speaks volumes about the leadership of Uber they have had decades to fix there product now.
I wasn鈥檛 sure about what an 鈥榠mei number鈥 was as in 鈥楾here data trail lets them know as all phones have imei numbers鈥︹.

I have since found out:

鈥楢n IMEI number is a globally unique 15 digit number assigned to all cellular devices, which identifies your device within the mobile network. We can use this number to block a mobile phone from being used by another person or phone company if it has been lost or stolen.鈥

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its the drivers duty of care that鈥檚 absent that annoys me. You MUST hand a minor over to an 18+ adult when transporting them, DONT just drop them & drive off.

Premium Member
I wasn鈥檛 sure about what an 鈥榠mei number鈥 was as in 鈥楾here data trail lets them know as all phones have imei numbers鈥︹.

I have since found out:

鈥楢n IMEI number is a globally unique 15 digit number assigned to all cellular devices, which identifies your device within the mobile network. We can use this number to block a mobile phone from being used by another person or phone company if it has been lost or stolen.鈥
BTW there is more you can do with the Imei number. Using it for locking down a phone is just one thing you can do. Essentially this identifies the device and there is no escaping that number for that device. Changing phone carriers or numbers mean nothing when you know the Imei number. Really there are no excusses that Uber can use except they are lazy or greedy one of the two and I know where my money sits ... Greed but they suck at that haha :)

Premium Member
As a Telco tech for 20 years all I can say is what a load of rubbish. Uber has no idea.

Premium Member
As a Telco tech for 20 years all I can say is what a load of rubbish. Uber has no idea.
You must have been on the phones or playing with cable. Carriers (telco's) have been using Imei numbers forever. It is a global standard that all manufacturers use when manufacturing mobile devices.

Premium Member
You must have been on the phones or playing with cable. Carriers (telco's) have been using Imei numbers forever. It is a global standard that all manufacturers use when manufacturing mobile devices.
Not talking about imei, that's true but uber doesn't know who phone it is by imei.. has no idea

Premium Member
Not talking about imei, that's true but uber doesn't know who phone it is by imei.. has no idea
Depends if they have partnered or not. Im sure they have as the telco's offer a portal service to large network users. Uber would qualify.

Premium Member
Depends if they have partnered or not. Im sure they have as the telco's offer a portal service to large network users. Uber would qualify.
Imei numbers identify the phone. Not user. Great for finding lost or stolen phones. Even as a Telco the imei shows who owns that phone but it could have been a mum buying it for their daughter. There is no way Uber can tell whether a user is a minor or not. Back to the original heading.

Premium Member
Imei numbers identify the phone. Not user. Great for finding lost or stolen phones. Even as a Telco the imei shows who owns that phone but it could have been a mum buying it for their daughter. There is no way Uber can tell whether a user is a minor or not. Back to the original heading.
Correct but it stops that device then they need to get another one. As others have mentioned like drivers have to do a simple photo with face recognition can identify the user of that device for use of the account. Everything can be engineered out and the incorrect use of a service can be resolved. Incorrect use of a network by a minor would be something they could do if they cared. Uber can make it harder for misuse of there network however they value the revenue above the misuse. It is possible to stop incorrect use and excusses about how hard it is to do arent good enough. It can be done down to the physical device (Imei).

Premium Member
Correct but it stops that device then they need to get another one. As others have mentioned like drivers have to do a simple photo with face recognition can identify the user of that device for use of the account. Everything can be engineered out and the incorrect use of a service can be resolved. Incorrect use of a network by a minor would be something they could do if they cared. Uber can make it harder for misuse of there network however they value the revenue above the misuse. It is possible to stop incorrect use and excusses about how hard it is to do arent good enough. It can be done down to the physical device (Imei).
Do you seriously think that with millions of underaged riders world wide Uber really cares. Rider face/photo recognition for riders will also NEVER happen. Underage riders is Ubers problem, not drivers. I see no problem picking up minors for parents who authorise so maybe Uber should incorporate safety features to accommodate this as other companies do. It happens and Uber knows it. One would hope that drivers are responsible enough and cleared when signing up. As I said previously I will not leave a minor stranded. I have my principles as do you and after 6 years and over 20,000 trips nothing has changed. Uber still doesn't care.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Do you seriously think that with millions of underaged riders world wide Uber really cares. Rider face/photo recognition for riders will also NEVER happen. Underage riders is Ubers problem, not drivers. I see no problem picking up minors for parents who authorise so maybe Uber should incorporate safety features to accommodate this as other companies do. It happens and Uber knows it. One would hope that drivers are responsible enough and cleared when signing up. As I said previously I will not leave a minor stranded. I have my principles as do you and after 6 years and over 20,000 trips nothing has changed. Uber still doesn't care.
so for $5.04 you MUST walk the minor into school & personally hand over to teacher. Cant just drop off!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Even for a 17-year old travelling to university?

What鈥檚 the authority for your statement?
Yes, a 17yr old is a minor, however鈥 if there not wearing a school uniform how are you to know & it would give you benefit of the doubt possibly putting neglect onto the Parent鈥 If their in a school uniform then its plain & obvious鈥

The Authority is the chain of responsibility.

1. Underage rider orders Uber - driver says not allowed - child goes missing - responsibility is on guardian not driver!

2. Underage rider orders Uber - driver allows ride - child dropped off - child goes missing before getting to guardian - responsibility is on Uber driver!

How many of these kids say 鈥淚鈥檒l just hop out here鈥 and take a day off school without parents knowing, whole days for something to happen & driver will be responsible鈥

Premium Member
The IMEI number is not available to apps. To prevent tracking, the operating system blocks access to those details and gives a pseudo-unique number to the app that changes every time it is reinstalled. This allows an app to identify a device, but only until such time as the app is removed, when it is regenerated. It also prevents multiple apps being able to identify your phone as the same device in order to collect more detail about your app and phone usage. Telcos also absolutely do not allow anyone other than qualified law enforcement agencies to request the registered operator of a given IMEI.

Premium Member
The IMEI number is not available to apps. To prevent tracking, the operating system blocks access to those details and gives a pseudo-unique number to the app that changes every time it is reinstalled. This allows an app to identify a device, but only until such time as the app is removed, when it is regenerated. It also prevents multiple apps being able to identify your phone as the same device in order to collect more detail about your app and phone usage. Telcos also absolutely do not allow anyone other than qualified law enforcement agencies to request the registered operator of a given IMEI.
With the right permissions granted by the user the app can access the devices Imei number.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts