Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI

I saw a promo on channel 5 this morning. Tomorrow night on the 10pm news they are doing a report on under age riders on Uber and Lyft. It will also be on Telemundo.

As usual, these things are a teaser but might be interesting to see what they say.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yesterday got one on Lyft. Mom requested it for her son. I asked him if he's 18. He said no. I said can't take you then. Cancelled the ride. Called Lyft support and got $5.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oh finally! Hopefully this also deals with the car seat issue U/L have ignored for so long. Someone can get declined for no car seat and then U/L just send another car... That person should be temporarily deactivated due to the claim and "pending investigation".. just like they would do to any of us drivers in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had 3 drunk guys that got in my car last nite. They smelled like a bar... after a few minutes they started talking about prom and graduation. I almost wanted to stop the ride, but then the mother part of me didnt want to leave 3 drunk teenagers at 3am smh

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had 3 drunk guys that got in my car last nite. They smelled like a bar... after a few minutes they started talking about prom and graduation. I almost wanted to stop the ride, but then the mother part of me didnt want to leave 3 drunk teenagers at 3am smh
Mom or not, still not worth with it. Those kids aren't going to weigh your mother factor when they sue you.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Man this is ridiculous now......should we ask for id’s when younger people get in our cars? Can they sue you because of that?!?( not asking for the id). What the flock, is this a fedaral law that you are not suppose to pick up younger than 18? You are not even a cab...... uber knows exactly what you do at anytime......I’m not born here but I tell you where I come from at age 7-8 I was using metra( same as metra..... railroad transportation) by myself. Don’t blow in a soup that is cold......unless you are sort of psycho and you have your own issues. I never refuse teens in my car, why uber open accounts if younger than 18? If they have the ride requested by their parents or other friends how should I know that? I’m not the police here......even so, where is the problem.... you have your gps on all the time, my phone is tracking me on at least 4 apps that I’m aware of..... who knows how many that I’m not aware of. Based on that and cameras on streets, police would know even if you made a complete stop at any stop sign if they want. If you’re not picking them I do, I’ve never had anyone younger than 18 without an aduld in my car by now(5000+ trips).

·
Registered
541 Posts
should we ask for id's when younger people get in our cars?
According to Uber TOS, YES! That is, if you think that rider is a minor.

I'm not born here but I tell you where I come from at age 7-8 I was using metra( same as metra..... railroad transportation) by myself.
I'm not NOT born here, but I tell you where I come from at age 7-8 DCFS would have been at my parents' doorstep if I wandered that far from home.

Don't blow in a soup that is cold......unless you are sort of psycho and you have your own issues.
WTF does that even mean? I don't know where you're from, but your proverb doesn't seem to have translated well into English.

I've never had anyone younger than 18 without an aduld in my car by now(5000+ trips).
As far as you know. 5,000+ trips? You've surely had at least 200.

My son had to age-verify and prove he was 18 to get his own Uber account. One of the ways minors do this is through the card account used for payment. Minors get these accounts by using their parents' names and bank accounts. (Pax can use any name they want when they request the ride). I've all but sworn-off of week day driving until school ends. At least then, I'll get some decent trips, even if it is a minor. Otherwise, it's just a trip to the HS, at a distance they could have easily walked, but are just too lazy to.

Why doesn't Uber even give the appearance of cracking-down on it? There are many MANY strings here that speculate why. (listed at the bottom of THIS string).

I don't watch TV, (except for sports), but I'll make it a point to watch this online when I get home from my FT job tomorrow. I'll just be interested in whether or not they bring the parents into the picture, or even assign them any blame.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
According to Uber TOS, YES! That is, if you think that rider is a minor.

I'm not NOT born here, but I tell you where I come from at age 7-8 DCFS would have been at my parents' doorstep if I wandered that far from home.

WTF does that even mean? I don't know where you're from, but your proverb doesn't seem to have translated well into English.

As far as you know. 5,000+ trips? You've surely had at least 200.

My son had to age-verify and prove he was 18 to get his own Uber account. One of the ways minors do this is through the card account used for payment. Minors get these accounts by using their parents' names and bank accounts. (Pax can use any name they want when they request the ride). I've all but sworn-off of week day driving until school ends. At least then, I'll get some decent trips, even if it is a minor. Otherwise, it's just a trip to the HS, at a distance they could have easily walked, but are just too lazy to.

Why doesn't Uber even give the appearance of cracking-down on it? There are many MANY strings here that speculate why. (listed at the bottom of THIS string).

I don't watch TV, (except for sports), but I'll make it a point to watch this online when I get home from my FT job tomorrow. I'll just be interested in whether or not they bring the parents into the picture, or even assign them any blame.
When you'll have a hot soup then you get what I wanted to say.
Where am I wrong if a kid is having their parents credit card and uber is lied by them that they are 18+????? You should've be Sherlock Holmes by now since you put an age to people or a cashier.... they never get it right even the old man is all white hair by now...... but he might age fast, you never know.
So, I get it when they look 10-12 but if they are 16-18 ..... they want to have a life too( I bet their parents open the account for their own safety) but Sherlock Holmes wants a quick 4$and asks for id. Don't worry I'm around the corner and give the kid a safe ride.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Where am I wrong if a kid is having their parents credit card and uber is lied by them that they are 18+????? You should've be Sherlock Holmes by now since you put an age to people or a cashier.... they never get it right even the old man is all white hair by now...... but he might age fast, you never know.
So, I get it when they look 10-12 but if they are 16-18 ..... they want to have a life too( I bet their parents open the account for their own safety) but Sherlock Holmes wants a quick 4$and asks for id. Don't worry I'm around the corner and give the kid a safe ride.
Sure, don't take quick $4, take long $14, and full responsibility if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Too many questions on this one.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
FYI

I saw a promo on channel 5 this morning. Tomorrow night on the 10pm news they are doing a report on under age riders on Uber and Lyft. It will also be on Telemundo.

As usual, these things are a teaser but might be interesting to see what they say.
I saw this too. Is this actually against the law, or just policy? seems there should be better things to investigate.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This happens ALL OF THE TIME during morning Rush...Uber might as well change the terms of service because so many parents are violating it. A small part of me wants nothing to do with these rides but then when I think about the challenges of being a parent and how important it is for kids to be on time for school I always confirm the person ordering the ride is Mom and take them to school.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
This happens ALL OF THE TIME during morning Rush...Uber might as well change the terms of service because so many parents are violating it. A small part of me wants nothing to do with these rides but then when I think about the challenges of being a parent and how important it is for kids to be on time for school I always confirm the person ordering the ride is Mom and take them to school.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out......

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Can't wait to see this. If the tease with three little kids asking a driver, "Are you okay with driving 12-year-olds?" is any indication, this will be a hit job on drivers too dumb to keep their mouths shut and drive away when they see cameras. Since it's difficult to contact anyone in Uber's management under the best of circumstances, vilifying drivers will make a good sensationalistic piece for sweeps. But Uber should be responsible for making sure the rider is of age. Uber bears responsibility for ensuring that drivers and vehicles are properly vetted. Passengers are just the flip side of the coin. No one would suggest pax have to verify a driver's history when their car pulls up. That's Uber's responsibility as the facilitator of the transaction. It would be simple enough eliminate most underage pax using the same technology and procedures Uber uses for drivers. Make the pax use their real name and post a clear picture of the rider. Subject pax to random checks where they're asked to take a new photo and upload it like some drivers have had to do. And if Uber was really serious they'd deactivate fraudulent accounts and permanently bar them from the platform. But I don't think you're going to see any of that on NBC tonight. Just two mopes chasing drivers and TV ratings because they're too lazy to do more than superficial sensationalism .

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Man this is ridiculous now......should we ask for id's when younger people get in our cars? Can they sue you because of that?!?( not asking for the id). What the flock, is this a fedaral law that you are not suppose to pick up younger than 18? You are not even a cab...... uber knows exactly what you do at anytime......I'm not born here but I tell you where I come from at age 7-8 I was using metra( same as metra..... railroad transportation) by myself. Don't blow in a soup that is cold......unless you are sort of psycho and you have your own issues. I never refuse teens in my car, why uber open accounts if younger than 18? If they have the ride requested by their parents or other friends how should I know that? I'm not the police here......even so, where is the problem.... you have your gps on all the time, my phone is tracking me on at least 4 apps that I'm aware of..... who knows how many that I'm not aware of. Based on that and cameras on streets, police would know even if you made a complete stop at any stop sign if they want. If you're not picking them I do, I've never had anyone younger than 18 without an aduld in my car by now(5000+ trips).
I guess you are above the rules and are special

Driver here are insulted over this? They cherry pick adult riders but will run for a minor.
No sense.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
By law, if something happens to a minor while they're in your "custody," you are completely liable .
Same as driving any adult around.... you're completely liable. And they're not in your "custody", any more than they're in the custody of CTA when they ride the bus.

Not saying driving minors is a good idea, but don't make shit up.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
And the instant you are involved in a hit and run and find out Ubers insurance won't cover your Unaccompanied Minor passenger Because You Are In Violation of Ubers Terms of Service regarding Unaccompanied Minors... You will understand why you should have carded that 16year old.

And provide that ride without coverage as you are in Violation of Ubers Terms of Service regarding Unaccompanied Minors.
So, hope and pray that nothing ever happens due to the fault of another driver who then flees the scene... Because I wonder, he said sarcastically, who the parents will sue since Uber will be off the hook due to your violation.

Same as driving any adult around.... you're completely liable. And they're not in your "custody", any more than they're in the custody of CTA when they ride the bus.

Not saying driving minors is a good idea, but don't make shit up.
Adults can not be in your custody since they are full and legal adults... But, a minor can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been complaining about that for a couple years. Most passengers have no idea that passengers under 18 can't ride alone. I've also brought it up to people at the Uber and Lyft Hubs, and they either didn't know about it or forgot. Either way, it's a pain in the neck when you have to waste time driving to someone only to tell them you can't take them anywhere. I carry a screenshot of the Uber policy on my phone to show people if they question it.

FYI

1 - 20 of 39 Posts