Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

What do you do when the rider to be picked up admits to being a minor or looks like a minor?

Unaccompanied Minor should be a cancellation reason! yes or no?

7K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  Unleaded 
#1 · (Edited)
Why is there no cancellation reason for "Minor unaccompanied by account holder"?
I've given rides to a few high school kids who could have passed for 18 but probably weren't. However, I have refused and cancelled two different rides for kids who said they were 12 and 13 years old. The most recent time I did (12 year old, this past weekend) I selected "other" for cancellation reason in the absence of an appropriate reason and subsequently Uber paid me $0 (no cancellation fee). I contacted support, explained the situation and then they thanked me and paid the cancellation fee. The first time this happened (13 year old several months ago) I refused the rider and I think the same thing happened - had to contact support with my reason to get the cancellation fee, and they paid it, but I responded with the strongly worded suggestion that they need to add "Minor unaccompanied by account holder" to their list of reasons and they responded with a pre-formatted response that did not address my concern. Now that this has happened twice, I feel the need to bring this issue to light more forcefully.
Follow my logic here: If drivers give unaccompanied minors (under age 18) rides and are in an accident regardless of fault, the family could/will sue Uber and the driver. Uber because they have deep pockets and the driver because he/she might have deep pockets (or a sizable personal insurance policy) and because he/she should not have picked up their kid due to Uber's terms and conditions policy. The policy states that the account holder must accompany any underage rider. This means that the account holder cannot order a ride for his 13 year old kid alone or with his 55 year old uncle to ride together when the uncle does not have an account.
I find it irresponsible and perhaps negligent for Uber to not provide "Minor unaccompanied by account holder" as a reason for cancellation. If we, as drivers, want to protect ourselves, we should ask for and require legal photo ID from every rider who could possibly be -18 and be paid cancellation fee when we refuse and cancel a ride for failure to do so. If we don't protect ourselves, I believe Uber will deny responsibility and leave us on our own to defend ourselves at our own expense because we failed to verify age. Agree?

See less See more
#2 ·
You're right, there should be a "rider was minor - driver forced to cancel ride" in order to receive an immediate cancellation fee. For now I wait out the 5-minute timer and collect as "rider no show" to secure my payment. The one time I actually cancelled due to the rider being a minor (and indicated that as the reason), it took 20 emails to get my damn $3.75.

Who has time for those shenanigans?

#3 ·
You're right, there should be a "rider was minor - driver forced to cancel ride" in order to receive an immediate cancellation fee. For now I wait out the 5-minute timer and collect as "rider no show" to secure my payment. The one time I actually cancelled due to the rider being a minor (and indicated that as the reason), it took 20 emails to get my damn $3.75.

Who has time for those shenanigans?
The same thing happened to me today. I turned down a 15 year old. Boy, was she angry. I canceled immediately and gave "unaccompanied Minor" as my reason for cancellation and move forward. Then I was able to handle a flurry of 5 lools and I was in the right place at the right time for an XLvand an X. I received an acknowledgement from Uber Support but no confirmation that I will receive a cancellation fee for doing the right thing. The cancellation fee for this reason should be made automatic,with no need for negotiation, especially since we will have have had to drive to the location to be presented with a minor seeking transport. Will anyone listen and do the right thing!

#6 ·
Drivers are the life blood of the entire Uber concept and system. Without drivers, there is no Uber. Uber needs to listen to its drivers and create the best possible Rideshare working environment. Anyone listening?

#8 ·
I call Lyft critical response line and have their account removed. This one passenger for a lift in a very expensive area down the peninsula had a name of Ashley with an old man's face. The guy was clearly trying to game the system. He knows that we're not supposed to take the miners. He knows that we're putting our jobs at risk because it's illegal and everything else. So I reported him to Lyft critical response line. This is my job. I take it very seriously because I'm making very good money doing it and generally having a pretty good time with people. If anything happens now you got an unaccompanied minor in the car and then it's not just a matter of you losing your job but probably facing criminal charges. What if they got alcohol in her backpack? Now you have an unaccompanied minor in your car with alcohol in her bag. that sounds fun. No thanks.

#12 ·
I record their response on my dashcam as I ask them if they are 18, if they lie, it's on them and their parent(s)
It's not part of my gig to check ID I'm not the po po.
If they give me attitude after the question, I drive away without starting the ride and wait for them to cancel. If they won't cancel I will hit the "unaccompanied minor" button and collect my fee. Lyft does not have that option so, I request they cancel or, sit there and wait til they cancel. That way Lyft compensates me a little.

#13 ·
In my state i would first have to obtain consent to record audio. I don't have time or want to have that conversation before letting them in my car. I agree there should be an unaccompanied minor reason to cancel. The drivers who abuse cancels should be easy to weed out, they will have a $#load of cancels, and passengers who get multiple dings for unaccompanied minors could be more easily taken out for violating tos. Problem is, the greed won't let Uber give up the few million they get from kid rides, and drivers are totally expendable so they are more than happy to leave us hanging in the wind.

#17 ·
I've carded before, but that's time consuming and a PITA. Now, I just ask their age. As long as they look like an adult, say they are at least 18, then I'll haul 'em. If they admit they are 17 or younger, which they almost always do in my experience, I refuse to accommodate them, and write them up.

#19 ·
hadn't thought of that, good point.
I always receive my "rider no show" cancellation fee immediately. It's only when I chose "rider was minor" as the reason I had to cancel that I didn't receive the fee, and I had to fight tooth and nail over the course of 20 emails for them to finally pay me. Had I not been persistent, they never would have paid me. It was like a "Who's on 1st?" joke - after I would email them explaining that I had no choice but to cancel since we cannot transport unaccompanied minors, so please add my cancellation fee to my earnings, Uber would respond with "Thank you Jules, you are correct in that Uber's Terms of Service state that minors are not allowed without the presence of a adult. Thank you for alerting us to this issue" Then I'd respond with "Yes, I am aware of that and that is why I cancelled the ride after driving to the pickup address and spending my time, effort getting all the way there. Thank you for paying me the cancellation fee I earned due to the fact that I could not proceed with the trip, as they were an unaccompanied minor." Then, Uber said "I have read your concerns and can confirm that transporting minors is not permitted according to our ToS. Thank you for double checking and for remaining in compliance with Uber's tos".......I mean, are you freaking kidding me? I shit you not this went on for days. at some point they tried saying I wasn't entitled to a cancellation fee or that they reviewed their system and this situation does not qualify for a cancellation fee....uhhhhh....Say what now??

THAT ONE EXPERIENCE is why I no longer choose any option but the one where I know they pay immediately, since I have performed my half of our business transaction and just need to be paid ASAP.

(Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg: "I bought a donut and they gave me e a receipt for the donut. I don't need a receipt for a donut. I'll just give you the money, you give me the donut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a donut. Some skeptical friend...."Don't even act like I didn't get that donut! I got the documentation right here. Oh wait - it's back home in the file...under "D" ...for Donut.")

#20 ·
Driver Due Diligence works! Whatever you have to do to get your cancellation fee for NOT transporting an unaccompanied Minor is well worth it. The bottom lines is that, because of your diligence, you will get your cancellation fee. Your decision NOT to transport an unaccompanied Minor will ensure that you remain a diligent driver for a much longer time. The downside of NOT doing the right thing can be devastating!

The same thing happened to me today. I turned down a 15 year old. Boy, was she angry. I canceled immediately and gave "unaccompanied Minor" as my reason for cancellation and move forward. Then I was able to handle a flurry of 5 lools and I was in the right place at the right time for an XLvand an X. I received an acknowledgement from Uber Support but no confirmation that I will receive a cancellation fee for doing the right thing. The cancellation fee for this reason should be made automatic,with no need for negotiation, especially since we will have have had to drive to the location to be presented with a minor seeking transport. Will anyone listen and do the right thing!
My previous points exactly. The primary problem facing us all is that when you do the right thing and refuse an unaccompanied Minor and cancel, they will make another ride request and another drivers will pick them up and transport. I have witnessed this first hand! Sad and demeaning to what we do as responsible drivers when that happens!

Reactions: Ben4given
#28 ·
I usually either wait for the No-Show timer, or i start the ride while i’m Talking/arguing with them, then cancel and report them. Last time I did this I got a standard $5 cancelation fee (not sure why)..

There is a whole write-up I did in my signature below about why Uber encourages under aged minors and how easily they could prevent unaccompanied minors IF they bothered to try..

#32 ·
You forgot to add an option for drivers like me in the pole who are not ignorant of the risk but simply don't care. I will take any paying passenger. I don't care if they are 12. I don't care what the rules are as long as I am getting paid. I think some of you could benefit from my perspective.
You are ignorantly bliss my friend. If you knew you could lose everything and have to live impoverished you wouldn't have that perspective.

Every driver should have this sticker posted visibly in their vehicles and a separate poster to show each and every time they arrive at a pickup location and find that an unaccompanied Minor has requested their services for transport.
Where do I get them?

#33 ·
You are ignorantly bliss my friend. If you knew you could lose everything and have to live impoverished you wouldn't have that perspective.
No you don't understand. I am not ignorant I simply don't care. If I lose Uber I lose a pt BS gig. I certainly won't be impoverished. My Income last week was over $3000 and $52 of that came from Uber. See attached pics for proof of income claims.

Attachments

#35 ·
I have talked to Uber several times about the minor issue. I drive in Colorado, a state that has made it clear NO MINORS WITHOUT AN ADULT. Here is what Uber has said thus far:

1. It is the drivers responsibility to screen riders for age.
2. If the rider appears to be under 18, the driver must ask for ID and deny the ride if the rider cannot prove they are 18 or older.
3. If the rider is denied the ride, due to age or lack of proof of age, the driver is to canx the trip and either send in a note via the app or call support. Support will refer the account to a supervisor that will investigate the account. We have a "minor" option on our app.

I make it simple. If I cannot confirm age, I deny the ride and drive up a block. Wait until the timer runs out and collect my fee. That is fair since I spent the time, miles and gas to deal with the trip.

Drive safe

#38 ·
There is a "unaccompanied minor" reason for cancellation, I believe I saw it the last time I cancelled for this reason.

I'm almost 100% certain that the last time I canceled there was an option for "unaccompanied minor." I noticed it immediately because of all the threads about minors on this board.
There is in my neck of the woods, I don't see what the problem is. is OP worried about getting a cancel fee? Sheesh, I never worry about the cancel fees, they are such a small portion of the gross, why fret over it? Just move on.

You forgot to add an option for drivers like me in the pole who are not ignorant of the risk but simply don't care. I will take any paying passenger. I don't care if they are 12. I don't care what the rules are as long as I am getting paid. I think some of you could benefit from my perspective.
I own a house, so if i got in an accident with an unaccompanied minor, and the minor was injured, I could be sued, they could take my house, I believe ( I have to check with a lawyer on that, I think it is true, though ).

It's not worth five or eight bucks, that kind of risk, no way.

#39 ·
There is a "unaccompanied minor" reason for cancellation, I believe I saw it the last time I cancelled for this reason.

There is in my neck of the woods, I don't see what the problem is. is OP worried about getting a cancel fee? Sheesh, I never worry about the cancel fees, they are such a small portion of the gross, why fret over it? Just move on.

I own a house, so if i got in an accident with an unaccompanied minor, and the minor was injured, I could be sued, they could take my house, I believe ( I have to check with a lawyer on that, I think it is true, though ).

It's not worth five or eight bucks, that kind of risk, no way.
True, True,True, Very Very True!

#41 ·
If an unaccompanied minor uses their parents' or another adult's account to order a ride, and the driver physically travels the distance to the location only to find the unaccompanied minor waiting, the minor must be unconditionally refused and an automatic ride cancellation feature be activated by the driver giving the purpose of "unaccompanied Minor, with the automatic cancellation fee being charged to the account holder and unquestionably and immediately given to the driver. I am reasonably sure that drivers will not abuse this positive and pro-active capability. To revoke or terminate the account holder's account is not going to happen as that would threaten future Rideshare use and incoming commerce, but a driver should not have to wait 5 minutes or fight for the fee which should be automatic. Waiting 5 minutes before becoming eligible to collect a due cancellation fee and using rider no show as the reason is deceptive and does not empower Uber to know and to confirm that drivers are having to address this UM issue. Plus, think of the high value ride that drivers may miss waiting the required 5 minutes while the system believes that the driver is still committed to a ride request. In a perfect world, this would be a moot issue, but, sadly, we do not live in a perfect world!

#51 ·
Should be a large penalty, not just a cancellation fee.

These paxhole kids and their uncaring parents need to be fined. If the parents are unsuspecting, the penalty is to alert them. And of course, the TNC companies are uncaring slobs for not doing any due diligence to verify passenger age, and in turn, putting their drivers at risk of arrest in certain states (like mine).

#55 ·
Uber does not allow cancellation fee immediately because they believe the drivers are out to screw them. Ponder that for a minute. They think drivers will improperly use the code.
Or more likely the real reason is they really want drivers to take those underage unaccompanied minors, but want to be legally isolated from the practice by putting out the warnings not to take them, but making it difficult to obtain a cancellation fee when drivers do turn them down thus showing drivers it's easier to just do what uber most probably really wants them to do, take the minors and collect the fare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.