Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
So instead of being upset at your State Legislatures for proposing another tax, you vilify Uber?

How about you go petition the Government to stop over taxing and over regulating our lives?

It's natural for any business to avoid absorbing the costs of Government intervention. It's almost ALWAYS passed on to the Customer.

Remember, we are Uber Customers. We pay them to use their app for leads for our individual transportation network company. So either the costs to use their app increases or the cost of the ride increase, but either way, the Customer will absorb the cost. That's what many people in Government either fail to grasp or do so knowingly and willingly.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So instead of being upset at your State Legislatures for proposing another tax, you vilify Uber?

How about you go petition the Government to stop over taxing and over regulating our lives?

It's natural for any business to avoid absorbing the costs of Government intervention. It's almost ALWAYS passed on to the Customer.

Remember, we are Uber Customers. We pay them to use their app for leads for our individual transportation network company. So either the costs to use their app increases or the cost of the ride increase, but either way, the Customer will absorb the cost. That's what many people in Government either fail to grasp or do so knowingly and willingly.
I agree with your point, but I'm not upset either way. I'm just passing on what I read. I think Georgia, especially the Atlanta area, has some of the highest taxes in the country. They tax almost everything here.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I agree with your point, but I'm not upset either way. I'm just passing on what I read. I think Georgia, especially the Atlanta area, has some of the highest taxes in the country. They tax almost everything here.
I grew up in Los Angeles, it's definitely higher there! haha

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Rider app is suggesting riders to contact legislators. Maybe the tax is only for riders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now, they are looking to "sales" tax ride share in GA. If this passes do you think Uber would absorb the cost? NOT! They will find someway to make the drivers pay for this increase. What do you guys think?

Very few states passed similar legislation. Most notable, Rhode Island passed a bill to collect a 7% sales tax per ride from both Uber and Lyft. Ouch...So Uber recently sent an email out to Georgia riders asking them to reach out to local legislators and oppose the bill. If it does pass, riders will likely pay a nominal increase if fares.

• Driver Impact -- uber and lyft will find a way to share the pain of a tax meaning drivers will somehow be affected.
  • Rider impact -- Pool riders will feel the pinch because they typically choose pool fare to save a dollar or two and most tell me they don't want to pay that much more that the $2.50 MARTA fare. So this cohort will notice a penny increase.

btw, MARTA pays the city a sales tax too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In GA, is there traditionally a tax on services provided? I don't think so but not sure. If GA decides to tax Uber rides, it will be the beginning of your doctors charging taxes, your handyperson..., lawn care..., masseuse..., etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I e- mailed the REP who is proposing the bill and it looks like they have an existing tax already for transportation services taxis and limos etc. His response to my e-mail is below.

Date: March 2, 2017 at 9:28:28 PM EST
To:uberpilot at <uberpilot@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Ride-share tax legislation

Mr. uberpilot:

Yours is one of the more thoughtful, as opposed to knee-jerk (or just plain jerk), emails I have received, so I will respond in a similar vein and hopefully establish a meaningful dialogue.

I like Uber, I use Uber regularly, I like the business model, ease of use of the app, the courtesy of its drivers, and, by the way, my son-in-law is a weekend Uber driver.

However, what Uber doesn't want you to know is that Georgia has long had a sales tax on transportation services, which taxis and limos pay, but Uber refuses to pay, saying it's drivers should collect and pay it, but it is not responsible because it does not provide the service; it's just a facilitator. So what Uber is really doing is throwing its drivers "under the bus" though it is the one who facilitates or brokers the ride, bills and collects the money, and pays the drivers. Georgia hasn't declared that to be an employer/employee relationship, but many states have.

So, the bottom line is this: the tax has long been in place; the only issue is should Uber collect and pay it, or should the drivers collect and pay it. This bill does not impose a new tax; all it does is make it clear that the responsibility to collect and remit is on Uber. Don't be misled by Uber's rhetoric. It provides a great and easy to use service which many believe to be superior to that provided by taxis and limos, but Uber should not be able to increase the competitive advantage its service provides by avoiding taxes too.

Thank you for your email and your willingness to engage in discussion, as opposed to unproductive name calling.

And I hope, perhaps, we might meet in an Uber sometime.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
122 Posts
In GA, is there traditionally a tax on services provided? I don't think so but not sure. If GA decides to tax Uber rides, it will be the beginning of your doctors charging taxes, your handyperson..., lawn care..., masseuse..., etc.
Agree. I think the best solution would be to cut cost in government. Here's what I think the state can do to save money:
  • Reduce state workers by 10%. There's lots of outdated jobs being filled by workers who can be easily replaced by technology.
  • How about, cameras at every traffic light which can reduce police force by 5% to 10%
  • DMV can automate a lot of what they do and reduce workforce by at least 10%.
  • Post office can close another 8% of offices. 90% of my mail is a duplicate of what i can see on my smart phone.
  • Fully Privatize the city procurement process. Not to mention the recent scandal in city gov uncovered by the FBI
  • Result would be millions in tax dollars reallocated to important projects. Why impose a tax private company's and the impact is on the people who need the money. Drivers and Riders!

·
Registered
396 Posts
We are selling our ride to random people we pick up so there should be a sales tax on it. Uber will probably delay sales tax on our 1099s every year so that we would see it in one big lump sum at the end of the year.

In the meantime, I'm loving my first POOL pax of the day because of this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We are selling our ride to random people we pick up so there should be a sales tax on it. Uber will probably delay sales tax on our 1099s every year so that we would see it in one big lump sum at the end of the year.

In the meantime, I'm loving my first pax of the day because of this.

I had a passenger mail me $15 Fandango gift card after i mailed her lost driver license back. I never got a burger though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts