Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love SSD C: drives, but they cost so much. I got my Windows performance rating up to 7.6 it operates so quickly. ;)
I'm on my 3rd one now, hopefully this will be large enough to last longer than the previous 2.

My first 64GB drive when they first came out was like $200 and lasted 2 years before I outgrew it. Still works perfectly, it's just a small capacity.

Next 120GB drive was closer to $125, and it was fine, until recently I believe Windows keeps stuffing the win10 update on the C drive hoping everyone will convert :mad:
So it suddenly maxed out and wouldn't function after booting up. Just opens some files and get error messages. Not writing to files, able to move files, or saving. Could barely open larger programs and surf the Internet. It will be back to mint condition after I format it, zapping it of the 40GB hidden win10 update & safety backup files :mad:

So I got a 250GB drive for $90, but now I have to install my vast collection of software and home networking & cloud. It's like a 3 day process :(
And I'm fighting the old drive to get the important files copied over. Error messages because there isn't any space left on that drive.

This aggressive Win10 push / roll out angers me! :mad:
I'm perfectly happy with my Win7 ultimate version! :)

Next project will be upgrading the Network drives, wife is filling them up faster each month the kids make "memories" :rolleyes: I'm hoping a 4TB personal cloud lasts her 5 years before I have to upgrade that again.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I love SSD C: drives, but they cost so much. I got my Windows performance rating up to 7.6 it operates so quickly. ;)
I'm on my 3rd one now, hopefully this will be large enough to last longer than the previous 2.

My first 64GB drive when they first came out was like $200 and lasted 2 years before I outgrew it. Still works perfectly, it's just a small capacity.

Next 120GB drive was closer to $125, and it was fine, until recently I believe Windows keeps stuffing the win10 update on the C drive hoping everyone will convert :mad:
So it suddenly maxed out and wouldn't function after booting up. Just opens some files and get error messages. Not writing to files, able to move files, or saving. Could barely open larger programs and surf the Internet. It will be back to mint condition after I format it, zapping it of the 40GB hidden win10 update & safety backup files :mad:

So I got a 250GB drive for $90, but now I have to install my vast collection of software and home networking & cloud. It's like a 3 day process :(
And I'm fighting the old drive to get the important files copied over. Error messages because there isn't any space left on that drive.

This aggressive Win10 push / roll out angers me! :mad:
I'm perfectly happy with my Win7 ultimate version! :)

Next project will be upgrading the Network drives, wife is filling them up faster each month the kids make "memories" :rolleyes: I'm hoping a 4TB personal cloud lasts her 5 years before I have to upgrade that again.
I feel your pain. When I bought my MacBook Pro I got 500GB SSD. It's 5 years old now. Ive now outgrown it. Just ordered 1TB internal SSD drive. Not only do I have to rebuild my Mac and find all my installers, I run Windows VM inside my Mac for the few programs I can't get on Mac. Mac mail sucks so been using outlook 2010 on Windows VM for years. Just upgraded to office365 hoping to streamline my emails on Mac only to have 5 yes give copies of all my contacts. Tried deduper what it did was delete all the addresses from my contacts. So the violens are playing here in Denver too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel your pain. When I bought my MacBook Pro I got 500GB SSD. It's 5 years old now. Ive now outgrown it. Just ordered 1TB internal SSD drive. Not only do I have to rebuild my Mac and find all my installers, I run Windows VM inside my Mac for the few programs I can't get on Mac. Mac mail sucks so been using outlook 2010 on Windows VM for years. Just upgraded to office365 hoping to streamline my emails on Mac only to have 5 yes give copies of all my contacts. Tried deduper what it did was delete all the addresses from my contacts. So the violens are playing here in Denver too.
1TB is over $300 :eek:
When I first went to a SSD my C drive was for OS and program utilization only. Data storage is either on my network drives, on cloud storage service, or both. I found that cheaper when 64GB SSD was $200 back then, and it provided better security and accessibility to my data.
I feel they are even more important with laptops, my wife accidentally breaks hers every couple years. And she's finally learned after MANY tears shed, that if you drop a laptop hard enough or frequently enough, the HDD and data could be gone forever. Any baby pictures are gone, too bad, so sad! :confused:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
1TB is over $300 :eek:
When I first went to a SSD my C drive was for OS and program utilization only. Data storage is either on my network drives, on cloud storage service, or both. I found that cheaper when 64GB SSD was $200 back then, and it provided better security and accessibility to my data.
I feel they are even more important with laptops, my wife accidentally breaks hers every couple years. And she's finally learned after MANY tears shed, that if you drop a laptop hard enough or frequently enough, the HDD and data could be gone forever. Any baby pictures are gone, too bad, so sad! :confused:
Got mine for $250 :). I learned my lesson the hard way too. Lost many special pictures myself.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
If all you have is notebooks and not desktops, it'd be better to use the internal hard drive for the operating system and commonly-used files, and an external drive for longer term storage, backed up in the cloud.

My setup is a cheap $100 netbook and an external drive. Google Drive runs on the netbook with the (encrypted) Drive folder on the external drive; everything on the external drive is mirrored on Google's servers. That takes care of backups; if the external drive gets corrupted, stolen etc all of its data is still online. Drive costs $2 per month per 100 Gb.

If you take a modular approach like this then you can upgrade any of the components independently (notebook, local storage, online storage) without having to do the mass data migrations that are involved when you mix OS and file storage.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm telling you 500GB C drive is adequate.
Better use for your $250

Apple Time Capsule 2TB ME177LL/A [5th Generation] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBA1VYU/?tag=ubne0c-20

Then you could move all the data files and pictures off the laptop
I need the extra space because I'm essentially running two OS on one laptop. My virtual machine takes up almost half my space. The Samsung 850 EVO SATA III internal drive ssd drives are the best on the market with the longest warranty.

I don't have any media files on my laptop. I keep those on an external drive and have another external drive for time machine backups and another external drive for my carbon copy clone and another external drive for my old windows files and another external drive for just data backups (too many data files I didn't need on laptop but wanted to keep if I ever decided to go back to consulting.) If anything, Im thinking about purchasing two new external drives. One to consolidate the 4 external drives of data and music one just for my time machine backups.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What does half the BS socializing on this community website have to do with Uber?

Nothing, it's social media, people interacting with each other.
Either scew you too? o_O
Or​
Welcome to my current life problems, and enjoy the community :)
Since we are not really talking about uber, but upgrading our computers. I was cleaning up my mac today to prepare for the new drive, and i came across a very special file, on the hardest day of the year for me. I hate father's day, its a constant reminder that my daddy is gone. I was always his little girl up until the day he died in my arms.

Long story short, today of all days, i found a strange .wav file so i clicked on it. It was a voicemail from my daddy he left me about two months before he died. So i created a little video today in honor of him. So i thought i'd share it. Just cause Fireguy50 made a good point, this is a socializing community that we share lots of stuff. Considering my boobs were a featured post, I thought i'd share something meaningful. It's only 15 sec long, it's a video of my dad with his voicemail to me in the background. The yellow rose at the end is in honor of him being a Texan. One of his favorite songs was Yellow Rose of Texas.

Happy Father's Day to all you dad's out there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts