Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota Siennas are expensive, but the Chrysler Town and Country you can get really cheap and comes standard with leather interior. I saw a well optioned new 2015 model for 23k at a dealership. Guess they are not selling.

I was thinking of getting it, putting TLC plates on it and using it for X and XL. I hear Black and SUV are not as popular as XL. Figures. Everyone I know around here is dirt cheap. Im not sure who will click on SUV when they can get an XL which will do the job.

So for the airport I would have X and XL. Instead of getting a 55k Suburban I would spend 23k. I could trade in my Camry Hybrid probably get like 15k.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Toyota Siennas are expensive, but the Chrysler Town and Country you can get really cheap and comes standard with leather interior. I saw a well optioned new 2015 model for 23k at a dealership. Guess they are not selling.

I was thinking of getting it, putting TLC plates on it and using it for X and XL. I hear Black and SUV are not as popular as XL. Figures. Everyone I know around here is dirt cheap. Im not sure who will click on SUV when they can get an XL which will do the job.

So for the airport I would have X and XL. Instead of getting a 55k Suburban I would spend 23k. I could trade in my Camry Hybrid probably get like 15k.

Thoughts???
that's interesting. i know a guy who is leasing a green taxi (dodge grand caravan 2015). this way he can do street hail, uber x, uber pool and also arro. should be interesting what this looks like in six months.

and we have de blasio's report coming up in 2 months.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that's interesting. i know a guy who is leasing a green taxi (dodge grand caravan 2015). this way he can do street hail, uber x, uber pool and also arro. should be interesting what this looks like in six months.

and we have de blasio's report coming up in 2 months.
Don't misleading your self . Street hail, uberx,ARRO. Only in green zone. All apps and the meter not working in exclusive zone.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On Autotrader, there are some base stripper Dodge Grand Caravans which can be had for 15 grand. You wont get GPS, push button open oors or any of the usual tech stuff with that van, but it does qualify as UberXL. I did get a ride in Atlantic City from a guy in a 5 year old Grand Caravan so I can confirm its being done. So for 15 grand you get a new van and can do NYC TLC UberX and UberXL. From asking around, I am told 30% of the calls would be UberXL at the 3+ dollar per mile rates. In Jersey, UberXL is 2 per mile.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked through various reviews and on Consumer Reports. The Chrysler/Dodge minivans seem to be not very reliable with lots of horror stories from engines to transmissions to everything. Consumer Reports got 17 mpg overall with it. The Toyota Sienna and Highlander on the other hand are very reliable and they managed 20 mpg. However, the cheapest Sienna/Highlander I found was 26-27k and thats for a no-frills base version. On the other hand, I found quite a few Chrysler Town and Country's which are loaded for under 24k. The Town and Country comes with a lot of standard features even in the base versions.

To get around the reliability problem mopar does sell a LIFETIME extended warranty for about 4 grand. I guess you have to shop around online to get the best deal, but that is impressive. If you can get a nice loaded Chrysler van with the lifetime warranty you will be set.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts

Thoughts???
I agree with you! Nice thought process. XL is also a stronger, safer vehiclle. It's still a struggle at times, but u should be able to make good money.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did figure out a used Sienna under 20k miles is a better bet than the Chrysler. Too many issues and I dont think it would last as well as the Sienna even with a lifetime warranty. Rear seats in Sienna are more comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts