Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to be selfish but it's already hard enough to find uberxl rides in washington DC market, if you ask me for an advice of a particular area, even if i find it, i won't share.

the requests for uberxl is already low enough to a point where there will be surge when there's 1-2 requests but no uberxl car in the area, however once one single uberxl car enters in the area, the surge goes away.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
He does have a point, I have driven UberXL less than one handful of times with my backup 7-pax van and the rides are few. I would drive UberXL more if the commission was 20% instead of 28%...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will say "yah drive in DC on weekends" but if i have a "sweet spot" on particular area that i am getting more than average rides, im not going to ruin it, 5+ people going there will kil my chance.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Xl is tough during the week, without x surges to supplement I've cut back driving 75-80% during the week. I have a few spots that let me go out for a couple hours but otherwise it's so slow during the week it's crazy. Weekends are obviously the best time but after driving around groups all the time, it's nice to get only 1-2 people. 50% or more of my xl rides is last could have ordered x but did xl. I didn't ask why since I was happy to have the ride

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'll be out tonight in DC and try to find him. Hope to get over to that sunucco station on u street at some point for some gas. Maybe I'll sneak a photo in of everyone hanging out

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'll be out tonight in DC and try to find him. Hope to get over to that sunucco station on u street at some point for some gas. Maybe I'll sneak a photo in of everyone hanging out
do a fbi recon op.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So I finished work around 10:30 and turned on the app. Got a ping near Farragut west going to Arlington. Another single person requesting xl. After that headed to DC and nothing all the way back to the burbs. Then after I passed AU and got a couple requests 9 minutes away so of course I cancelled them and headed home as either they were trips to DC and I would be stuck there or 9 minutes to do a short trip. No thanks. That's all for xl tonight and no x surges from 10:30-midnight.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Of course I start to head home and get a ping, shirt trip but ok. Sports leagues started playoffs and everyone is out drinking tonight

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most people are freshmen who moved in already, the rest are moving in this weekend. But since most of them live in a dorm they walk everywhere instead

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Was around AU early and nothing. Then down by GW I got my first ride near by but not college students. Then around nw and back to tenleytown before calling it a night. First xl ride was 2 girls.
After I did a drop off at Georgetown waterfront, I saw the undercover taxi police pull up and start to do something to a taxi can in line. Then went in the back seat and was looking at the back window. They were still there 15 minutes later with lights shining when I drive by.

·
Registered
776 Posts
what's undercover taxi police
In DC, he probably means hack inspectors. They are paid by the DCTC (District of Columbia Taxi Commission). Which gets funded with 1% of the fare from every Uber ride in DC. So the more Uber rides you give, the more money they have to inspect. They also get money from taxi fares.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Xl is tough during the week, without x surges to supplement I've cut back driving 75-80% during the week. I have a few spots that let me go out for a couple hours but otherwise it's so slow during the week it's crazy. Weekends are obviously the best time but after driving around groups all the time, it's nice to get only 1-2 people. 50% or more of my xl rides is last could have ordered x but did xl. I didn't ask why since I was happy to have the ride
Last Saturday night, I actually got 2 XL rides that were single individuals. One of them was on crutches and needed a little extra space. The other didn't seem to be aware of it. I just keep my mouth shut, smile, and thank them for using uber. I mean, it's their fault for not checking to see which uber they ordered. And I have a fully decked out ride complete with leather seats, automatic doors, a DVD screen, and it's squeaky clean.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts