Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I am considering starting up a UberX service in a small country city, as such I have some questions that I cannot find answers to elsewhere.

1. Leasing -
    Do the vendors who are providing lease-to-buy options on UX suitable vehicles provide this service for prospective UX operators outside of Melbourne/Geelong?
  2. The rating system -
    Obviously being in a reasonably small country city, I can see this could be used as a destructive tool by some passengers. For example you may have picked them up earlier in the night, and then later you were not available (I don't intend doing Fri/Sat late night), and the next time they catch you they give you a low rating - or a customer gives you a low rating through no fault of your own.

I read that once you hit a rating of 2.5 you are suspended as a UX driver. Obviously this is something which concerns me, being the only prospective UX (as fas as I am aware) operator in the city. As I would be leasing a vehicle for this venture, I certainly don't want to be in a situation where I come across a few nasty passengers and receive unfair ratings.
  3. Cancelling Jobs -
    Is the driver allowed to cancel a job, for example if you had problems at a particular residential address, or with a particular customer previously? Do you see (before accepting the job) the address and passenger name?
  4. Percentage Rates -
    What is the actual percentage rate a UX driver gets? Say you have a $10 fare, what percentage of that does the driver end up with?
  5. Price Surge -
    Is this something that only effects Metro areas?
    As any steep increases in fare in my area would put me on par with taxis, and quite simply this area is not Melbourne - people would just say "Ah not much cheaper then a taxi, may as well get them". Is this something that is discussed with drivers before it is instigated? Do drivers have any say in it?
  6. Are you the UX driver?
    I understand the policy is for no signage on the vehicles, completely okay with that. Although is it permissable to have a decent looking dress shirt with the UX logo on it? Reason I ask is so customers can easily identify you as the UX driver - plus it is also good for promoting the service as well, keeping in mind I am in a country area, a lot probably would not even know what Uber is!

If you have a job to a busy restaurant, how are the customers going to find you, how are you going to find them in a crowd. I know the driver has his mugshot on the partner app (not sure if customers do), even still in a busy crowd it would be hard to pick someone out by a small photo on an app.
  7. Your thoughts -
    Do you think UX would be a viable option in a town of just over 33,000?
    There is public transport in the form of buses along with a taxi company which has around 25 cars I think. As stated earlier, as far as I am aware there are no UX operators currently running in the town.

The young'uns have their own 'mate-sharing' ride thing going on Facebook via Messenger, as I am sure is the case in many towns and cities. But that is mainly on Friday/Saturday nights when the clubs are getting out.
I would appreciate any feedback on any or all of the topics above. Please be factual, I am looking for your thoughts on these matters in respect to the viability of Uber in my area.

Cheers:
Makulit.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Hi All:

I am considering starting up a UberX service in a small country city, as such I have some questions that I cannot find answers to elsewhere.

1. Leasing -
    Do the vendors who are providing lease-to-buy options on UX suitable vehicles provide this service for prospective UX operators outside of Melbourne/Geelong?
  2. The rating system -
    Obviously being in a reasonably small country city, I can see this could be used as a destructive tool by some passengers. For example you may have picked them up earlier in the night, and then later you were not available (I don't intend doing Fri/Sat late night), and the next time they catch you they give you a low rating - or a customer gives you a low rating through no fault of your own.

I read that once you hit a rating of 2.5 you are suspended as a UX driver. Obviously this is something which concerns me, being the only prospective UX (as fas as I am aware) operator in the city. As I would be leasing a vehicle for this venture, I certainly don't want to be in a situation where I come across a few nasty passengers and receive unfair ratings.
  3. Cancelling Jobs -
    Is the driver allowed to cancel a job, for example if you had problems at a particular residential address, or with a particular customer previously? Do you see (before accepting the job) the address and passenger name?
  4. Percentage Rates -
    What is the actual percentage rate a UX driver gets? Say you have a $10 fare, what percentage of that does the driver end up with?
  5. Price Surge -
    As any steep increases in fare in my area would put me on par with taxis, and quite simply this area is not Melbourne - people would just say "Ah not much cheaper then a taxi, may as well get them". Is this something that is discussed with drivers before it is instigated? Do drivers have any say in it?
    I understand the policy is for no signage on the vehicles, completely okay with that. Although is it permissable to have a decent looking dress shirt with the UX logo on it? Reason I ask is so customers can easily identify you as the UX driver - plus it is also good for promoting the service as well, keeping in mind I am in a country area, a lot probably would not even know what Uber is!

If you have a job to a busy restaurant, how are the customers going to find you, how are you going to find them in a crowd. I know the driver has his mugshot on the partner app (not sure if customers do), even still in a busy crowd it would be hard to pick someone out by a small photo on an app.
  7. Your thoughts -
    There is public transport in the form of buses along with a taxi company which has around 25 cars I think. As stated earlier, as far as I am aware there are no UX operators currently running in the town.

The young'uns have their own 'mate-sharing' ride thing going on Facebook via Messenger, as I am sure is the case in many towns and cities. But that is mainly on Friday/Saturday nights when the clubs are getting out.
I would appreciate any feedback on any or all of the topics above. Please be factual, I am looking for your thoughts on these matters in respect to the viability of Uber in my area.

Cheers:
Makulit.
Uber may not be in your Country town so check that out first I suggest

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hi All:

1. Leasing -
  2. The rating system -

3. Cancelling Jobs -
  4. Percentage Rates -
  5. Price Surge -

7. Your thoughts -

Cheers:
Makulit.
Don't even think of doing it until you have gone into the Uber office and asked the "helpful" people behind the desk there these same questions. Decide if their answers give you any confidence. Also see if the small town has a taxi. See if the taxi ever has any passengers. Ask Uber if it is possible to request a ride in the town.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Check whether uber service is available in ur town first.

If so then we can provide the details, otherwise waste of time

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Hi All:

1. Please be factual, I am looking for your thoughts on these matters in respect to the viability of Uber in my area.
Cheers:
Makulit.
Okay. This small country city...........would this be Ararat? And you are writing from the Hopkins Correctional Centre?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hi All:

1. Cancelling Jobs -
  2. Percentage Rates -
  3. Price Surge -

Cheers:
Makulit.
My thoughts:

Search these forums harder for the answers to these particular questions. These questions are frequently raised topics. If you cannot do simple research, you're likely to be incapable of rationally assessing the viability of driving UberX.

In which case, forget about the questions and go with your emotional/instinctive/intuitive gut feeling, and be drawn into Uber's marketing messages without question.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts