Uber Drivers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the meantime, given the additional costs that might be incurred by driver partners as a result of the ATO's guidance, uberX prices are increasing today by approximately 10% in each Australian city where uberX is available.

Just got the email.... Just as i thought it would be... 2-3 days late.. but at least some reprieve

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
yep me too... its good they put back the price that was supposed to come back on the 2nd anyway... they are still screwing us with the GST and pretending they did something... its better than nothing for sure.. . I still think there's a big chance that the "winter pricing" was dropped all along to do this when it came down to people being upset when the GST came. Either way were still down about 12 %.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.

New member thats been lurking for last 6 weeks but now felt i had to register.

I am curious as the the general consensus as really you (i wont say we as i gave up the gig pre aug 1) are back to were we were a wewk ago BUT with compliance costs added (both time and financial). I'm not tempted to log back in unless fares go up a further 10%.

Wouldnt it be great to be a fly on the wall at uber to understand how much pain was inflicted in loat revenue and alao possibly customer dissatisfaction from riders at a lack of cars. I'd like to think there was a bit of both leading to the announcement today and ifvyes why dontvwe keep it up to get the GST added onto the fare!

Pre bs "winter campaign" i said to my wife "bet you $10 this is to adjust numbers in drivers minds come the gst ruling" and look what we found, exactlybthat withba little taste of "lets taste the waters and see if drivers will tolerate a further hit"!

Like i said if the rise today is a result of pain we should keep it up. I appreciate there are some for which this is a critical component of their livelihood but for the rest lets see some further positive change!

Cheers
Uber'Y'

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
so the cities that had the "winter pricing" still screwed. the ones that didn't at least got most GST covered. Which cities didn't have the winter pricing ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi All,
I posted this up in another thread, talking about how much Uber need to raise fares by, so that we were compensated for GST.
I posted the scenarios below.

I get slightly technical, so apologies for that. But my main message I want to convey is that Uber need to raise the prices by more than 10% if they want to compensate drivers for GST. (this has been pointed out numerous times throughout this forum)
In short, Uber need to raise fares by 12.821% to compensate drivers for being subject to the 10% GST, if Uber want to continue taking 20% off the total fare (which is inclusive of GST)

GST inclusive fare = Fare + Surge
GST amount = GST inclusive fare / 11
GST exclusive fare = GST inclusive fare - GST amount
Uber fee = 20% x GST inclusive fare
Therefore:
If Uber increasing fares by 10 % but still take their 20% off the GST inclusive fare, then we lose out by 2.5% still. Meanwhile Uber benefit by having a 10% increase in their Uber fees. (their gain is a straight linear increase)
If Uber raise the fare by 12.821% and take 20% off the GST inclusive fare, we come out even, and Uber come out 12.821% better off.
If Uber raise the fare by GST 10% and take their 20% of the GST EXCLUSIVE rate then it'll be even for everyone. Neither driver nor Uber lose or gain, and ATO get their GST.
If Uber keep the fares as is and us drivers need to pay out GST on the fares, we lose out by 11.364% (its not just 10% because Uber take their cut off the GST inclusive fare)

I ran the new fares that kicked in on Fri 7/8/15 and compared it with the fares before: (old - before 7/8/15 new - after 7/8/15)

Flag fall - old $2.50 new $2.50 increase 0%
$ per km - old $1.30 new $1.40 increase 11.54%
$ per min - old $0.35 new $0.40 increase 14.29%
Min fare - old $6.00 new $8.00 increase 33.33%

So as you can see, the increases are not a flat 10%. The total fare increase varies between different trips. I ran a few 'typical' trips on a spreadsheet and averaged out the fare increase old vs new. I got an average increase of between 10.5% - 11%.

Uber will be taking their 20% off the total fare (which is GST inclusive). Furthermore, we won't get any GST input credits from Uber's commission. Hence we will still be a small percentage worse off due to the GST application.

ie
if 10.5% increase - we are 2.06% worse off
if 11% increase - we are 1.61% worse off

Generally, you're better off if the trip is of a longer duration for the same amount of km's vs the old fare structure.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
they have just put the prices back to the normal (exact amount before winter cut)... it wasn't exactly 10% when they cut it either... they still should be adding 12 more% got GST.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.