·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I can see that happening.
The irony of the recruitment is that east Austin is one of the hottest gentrification areas of the city right now, so the thought that they're going to be extending more opportunities to minorities is laughable. Uber's still throwing that $27 million earned like it's a huge windfall for the drivers.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
District 1- Ora Houston
District 2- Delia Garza
District 3- Sabino "Pio" Renteria
District 4- Greg Casar
District 5- Ann Kitchen
District 7- Leslie Pool
District 9- Kathie Tovo

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
East Austin is divided up among all of the various above districts.
Districts 1, 2 and 3 having the largest areas of coverage overall.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The article doesn't even make any sense.

Why would anyone wanting to drive for Uber need to be living in East Austin? Most minorities that live there don't even own a car. And, even if they had a car and lived in East Austin, why would they stage there? It has already been established that most people that live there don't go far and don't tip.

And, what does it mean "East" Austin?

This story has all the earmarks of a hoax - the primary issue is a lack of riders in East Austin, not a lack of drivers. There's hardly ever a surge east of I-35.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

Why would anyone wanting to drive for Uber need to be living in East Austin? Most minorities that live there don't even own a car. And, even if they had a car and lived in East Austin, why would they stage there? It has already been established that most people that live there don't go far and don't tip.

This story has all the earmarks of a hoax - the primary issue is a lack of riders in East Austin, not a lack of drivers. There's hardly ever a surge east of I-35.
Good points.
Because they can.
The issue throughout all cities now isn't one of a lack of drivers per se, it's a lack of marketing to riders, hence not enough riders for the current driver supply. Churn rates of drivers for Uber are typically 60-90 days. Thats turning over their entire driver base in less than a year.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Churn rates of drivers for Uber are typically 60-90 days. Thats turning over their entire driver base in less than a year.
That's exactly what Uber wants, since Newer Drivers are onboarded at 25% or 28% while the old driver base was charged 20% commission.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
That's exactly what Uber wants, since Newer Drivers are onboarded at 25% or 28% while the old driver base was charged 20% commission.
I'm aware of that. I'm not quitting, not yet, anyway. My car qualified for select, so I try to get as many select runs as possible. It's really improved my dollars per mile driven and the quality of the pax, too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, you guys have not seen me mad, but here goes:

Holy Fkn shit OMG WTF UBER you stupid fools!

FIRST off how late to the racist party can you be, UBER? Get a fcking grip, EAST AUSTIN is so GENTRIFIED now this is completely racist and race baiting the city council. Careful where you step, cause there is nothing but dung to walk into now.

I service EAST Austin all the time, and it is nothing but BNB renters, short term renters (wtf with austin as a "wedding destination city?"), and guys with beards,shorts, and long socks. All white people. Every time.

The idea that this is going to help poor people is a load of shit, you gotta have a car and gas money to do this gig. You have to come from some sort of means... which leads us to where this is heading in one direction...
SUBPRIME loans for cars for poor people to work for UBER. UBER will be the new SHARECROPPER, where you sign up to get a car and drive, but all you really do is give all your earnings to THE MAN.

Got a job, you can get a car!
No longer, friend, UBER will give you both for the LOW LOW price of 28% of your fares and $600 a month for your car. Welcome to the plantation!

This is wrong in so many ways; more attempts by UBER to get civic organizations on their side. A play from the UBER book as described in this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ate-goal-the-privatisation-of-city-governance

"To build its Eastern empire, Uber is maintaining its infamously aggressive tactics by hiring an "elite team of launchers". The job advertisement sounds like Uber is looking for CIA operatives, not brand ambassadors: "At base, this job entails being dropped into a city or country where Uber has zero brand and physical presence, quickly figuring out who and what make that city run, and then building a new business from scratch - in a matter of weeks - which sets Uber up for long-term success".

With a well-financed combination of rapid roll-out and local infiltration, Uber hopes to overcome rival services and strict regulation."

The funny thing is they are so "behind the times", playing the race card. All I can say is every time UBER tries to manipulate city government with this type of PR crap, they are going to get a push back. It just might blow up in their faces if they screw enough minorities... when they hurt the ones they proclaimed they will help. Good luck with that, UBER.

·
Banned
332 Posts

It ain't no hoax friend. If there's anything we've all learned from watching Uber over the last year its - Nothing is Ever a hoax. It may seem insane or ridiculous or impossible. But it's ain't no hoax. Uber is just that ****ing stupid.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Good points.
Because they can.
The issue throughout all cities now isn't one of a lack of drivers per se, it's a lack of marketing to riders, hence not enough riders for the current driver supply. Churn rates of drivers for Uber are typically 60-90 days. Thats turning over their entire driver base in less than a year.
I average about 1.8 trips per hour. Please tell me how having more drivers is going to make that better for the drivers OR the riders???

·
Banned
332 Posts
Well, you guys have not seen me mad, but here goes:

Holy Fkn shit OMG WTF UBER you stupid fools!

FIRST off how late to the racist party can you be, UBER? Get a fcking grip, EAST AUSTIN is so GENTRIFIED now this is completely racist and race baiting the city council. Careful where you step, cause there is nothing but dung to walk into now.

I service EAST Austin all the time, and it is nothing but BNB renters, short term renters (wtf with austin as a "wedding destination city?"), and guys with beards,shorts, and long socks. All white people. Every time.

The idea that this is going to help poor people is a load of shit, you gotta have a car and gas money to do this gig. You have to come from some sort of means... which leads us to where this is heading in one direction...
SUBPRIME loans for cars for poor people to work for UBER. UBER will be the new SHARECROPPER, where you sign up to get a car and drive, but all you really do is give all your earnings to THE MAN.

Got a job, you can get a car!
No longer, friend, UBER will give you both for the LOW LOW price of 28% of your fares and $600 a month for your car. Welcome to the plantation!

This is wrong in so many ways; more attempts by UBER to get civic organizations on their side. A play from the UBER book as described in this article:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ate-goal-the-privatisation-of-city-governance

"To build its Eastern empire, Uber is maintaining its infamously aggressive tactics by hiring an "elite team of launchers". The job advertisement sounds like Uber is looking for CIA operatives, not brand ambassadors: "At base, this job entails being dropped into a city or country where Uber has zero brand and physical presence, quickly figuring out who and what make that city run, and then building a new business from scratch - in a matter of weeks - which sets Uber up for long-term success".

With a well-financed combination of rapid roll-out and local infiltration, Uber hopes to overcome rival services and strict regulation."

The funny thing is they are so "behind the times", playing the race card. All I can say is every time UBER tries to manipulate city government with this type of PR crap, they are going to get a push back. It just might blow up in their faces if they screw enough minorities... when they hurt the ones they proclaimed they will help. Good luck with that, UBER.
Well ranted Son!! This is clearly just an attempt by Uber to play this "helping the poor and racially oppressed" card in order to fool the city council into thinking that they are good stewards for the community and should receive lenient regulation. It's transparent as hell but odds are they will get what they want because that's just how things work in Karl Rove's America.

It just makes you wonder though....can a ****ING week go by without some new roll out or bullshit or ass****ery coming out of Uber corporate?? I mean seriously?? Can't they, as a supposedly viable business, just employ regular business tactics for a few weeks and just operate on their merits and their product's success?? It's like there's a bunch of ****ing crack heads running the show over there.

I am really starting to hate Uber. And I mean that sincerely.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts