Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I get a ride request from the local discount furniture store. I had previously dropped off an employee there so I kinda assumed it was the same woman. Nope. This nice woman just bought "2 mismatched pieces of a sectional sofa" and needed a ride to Home Depot to rent a truck so she could take it home by herself.... She jokingly asked me if Uber had a truck service, and I joked back that I wish they did because I have a pickup truck and I'd definitely drive it for Uber if they did. On the way to Home Depot she asks me if I think they will rent her a truck if she doesn't have car insurance. I said idk but maybe they would force her to buy their insurance. You see where this is going.

So I drop her off, but something tells me to stick around. Sure enough, 5 minutes later I get a ride request from her. She gets in and tells me that they won't rent her a truck. When I ask her what she is going to do, she says she is going to cancel her purchase. That's when I offer to help her with my truck. I open my fat mouth and say "Why don't you just pay me the money you were going to pay to Home Depot, and I'll help you with my truck?" She was so happy and immediately accepted, and we drive to my house to get my truck.

At this point I have cancelled the second Uber ride and and just going to take cash from her. I wasn't planning on moving furniture for $.10 a minute.

We get to the furniture store loading dock, and get stuck waiting for over 1/2 hour because a crazy lady ordered a bunch of furniture and it is clogging the dock, but she is back in the store somewhere and no one can find her. My nice lady is getting pissed. Finally the crazy lady gets her stuff and leaves, at which point I realize that my nice lady has more furniture than she let on. Not only does she have 2 pieces of sofa (one of which is a sleeper!!), but she has a queen mattress and box spring. GRR..

So now it is a 2 trip proposition, about 12 miles each way. She is super nice, and we have a great conversation on the first trip to her apartment.

Of course, when we get there, her building has one of those entrances where the stairs go up 4 steps to a landing, then turns, goes up 4 more steps, etc. Luckily she lives on the first floor, but it is not a straight shot into her hallway. We get the mattress and boxspring in with minimal effort, then we stop at the ATM so she can get me cash. Then we head back for the couches.

Of course, the couches are about 7ft long each, again with one being a sleeper. The furniture store loading dock crew get them into my truck and we head off, but I know the worst is yet to come.

Back at the apartment, we decide to try the sleeper section first. I'm a short, skinny guy, and she is a short woman. We can barely hold onto this thing while we carry it to the front door. Of course, as you would expect, It doesn't fit and we get it wedged in. We scratch up the walls and doors trying to jam it in. No luck. We get it un stuck, and I ask if there is another entrance into the building, and there is! The back door turns out to be a straight entry to her hallway, so we grab leave the sleeper and grab the lighter piece and carry it around the building. We still struggle, but get it into the hallway, where we discover that it is too big to get into her apartment. We need more space to turn it, and had to ask the neighbor across the hall to open their door so we can get it in. By this time we are both sweating and panting. Not how I saw my day going, lol. After a quick breather, we head out front to try and wrestle the sleep section, but we are both beat. Thank God a complete stranger saw our struggle and offered to help us. He and I carried the section around back and basically forced it into the hallway and into the apartment, messing up the walls everywhere.

My good deed turned into a 4 hour adventure helping a total stranger move furniture. I did make more than I was probably going to make driving that day.

And that is how UberTruck was born.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
How the fig was she going to get any of the pieces out of her rental truck without help? She totally played you. On the other hand, I just rented a truck from Lowes to move a bed. It was $20 for 90 minutes. I was pretty pleased. I made my son help. I didn't realize I could sucker an Uber driver into helping, hehe.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How the fig was she going to get any of the pieces out of her rental truck without help? She totally played you. On the other hand, I just rented a truck from Lowes to move a bed. It was $20 for 90 minutes. I was pretty pleased. I made my son help. I didn't realize I could sucker an Uber driver into helping, hehe.
She was wildly optimistic. The pieces she bought barely fit in her tiny apartment because she obviously didn't measure her space in advance. She was very happy I helped her. She said if she had managed to rent a truck, she would have been really stuck and the furniture would've been left on the sidewalk. Remember, I offered the help, she didn't ask.

·
Premium Member
65,740 Posts
And ,you have to put GAS in the rental truck !

·
Registered
271 Posts
So last weekend I get a ride request from the local discount furniture store. I had previously dropped off an employee there so I kinda assumed it was the same woman. Nope. This nice woman just bought "2 mismatched pieces of a sectional sofa" and needed a ride to Home Depot to rent a truck so she could take it home by herself.... She jokingly asked me if Uber had a truck service, and I joked back that I wish they did because I have a pickup truck and I'd definitely drive it for Uber if they did. On the way to Home Depot she asks me if I think they will rent her a truck if she doesn't have car insurance. I said idk but maybe they would force her to buy their insurance. You see where this is going.

So I drop her off, but something tells me to stick around. Sure enough, 5 minutes later I get a ride request from her. She gets in and tells me that they won't rent her a truck. When I ask her what she is going to do, she says she is going to cancel her purchase. That's when I offer to help her with my truck. I open my fat mouth and say "Why don't you just pay me the money you were going to pay to Home Depot, and I'll help you with my truck?" She was so happy and immediately accepted, and we drive to my house to get my truck.

At this point I have cancelled the second Uber ride and and just going to take cash from her. I wasn't planning on moving furniture for $.10 a minute.

We get to the furniture store loading dock, and get stuck waiting for over 1/2 hour because a crazy lady ordered a bunch of furniture and it is clogging the dock, but she is back in the store somewhere and no one can find her. My nice lady is getting pissed. Finally the crazy lady gets her stuff and leaves, at which point I realize that my nice lady has more furniture than she let on. Not only does she have 2 pieces of sofa (one of which is a sleeper!!), but she has a queen mattress and box spring. GRR..

So now it is a 2 trip proposition, about 12 miles each way. She is super nice, and we have a great conversation on the first trip to her apartment.

Of course, when we get there, her building has one of those entrances where the stairs go up 4 steps to a landing, then turns, goes up 4 more steps, etc. Luckily she lives on the first floor, but it is not a straight shot into her hallway. We get the mattress and boxspring in with minimal effort, then we stop at the ATM so she can get me cash. Then we head back for the couches.

Of course, the couches are about 7ft long each, again with one being a sleeper. The furniture store loading dock crew get them into my truck and we head off, but I know the worst is yet to come.

Back at the apartment, we decide to try the sleeper section first. I'm a short, skinny guy, and she is a short woman. We can barely hold onto this thing while we carry it to the front door. Of course, as you would expect, It doesn't fit and we get it wedged in. We scratch up the walls and doors trying to jam it in. No luck. We get it un stuck, and I ask if there is another entrance into the building, and there is! The back door turns out to be a straight entry to her hallway, so we grab leave the sleeper and grab the lighter piece and carry it around the building. We still struggle, but get it into the hallway, where we discover that it is too big to get into her apartment. We need more space to turn it, and had to ask the neighbor across the hall to open their door so we can get it in. By this time we are both sweating and panting. Not how I saw my day going, lol. After a quick breather, we head out front to try and wrestle the sleep section, but we are both beat. Thank God a complete stranger saw our struggle and offered to help us. He and I carried the section around back and basically forced it into the hallway and into the apartment, messing up the walls everywhere.

My good deed turned into a 4 hour adventure helping a total stranger move furniture. I did make more than I was probably going to make driving that day.

And that is how UberTruck was born.
Glad to hear it was well worth ur while! It's not always the case .

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow, that's a huge insurance risk. That piece of furniture flies out of your truck and hits a minivan and kills a kid and you're stuck with no coverage. Unbelievably stupid in my eyes unless you carry coverage for that....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I heard f a guy who got yelled at by a pax because he did not have a hitch on his Uber Toyota.

OP got totally played.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts