Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another way to make Uber feel the pinch of driver dissatisfaction, we need to add disobedience to strike.

If you are a striker, you should be willing to act as if you are working and take some requests That are 100% misplaced pins. Drive to pin and cancel/no show.

If surge goes too high, we should all logon to pop the surge for scabs and ignore all requests.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is a nonunion job, so how would you have scabs working?
You are right.

But what can you put instead of "scab" as a one word replacement?

It has been used widely all over the place and everyone knows exactly what it means in this context.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
UberXTampa said:
But what can you put instead of "scab" as a one word replacement?
I have been in a union also. This is not a true strike. It is more of a work stoppage or slowdown, dependent on how many people turn their apps off and enjoy the weekend. Every driver has the right to not participate in this event.

Let us focus on the positive outcome we participants expect from this event rather than focus on the nonparticipants.

JM2cW:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The strike idea is completely counterproductive. First of all, if you don't like Uber, end your contractual relationship with them. You'll be happier.
For those of us who enjoy making some extra spend in a completely time flexible manner, all you are going to do is hurt other drivers, hurt the customers who depend on us, and potentially hurt the Uber brand which negatively impacts us all. If you people cost me money by sending me in circles and canceling trips, I will be pissed.
Uber is not designed to be a full time job. Don't treat it as such. They owe you nothing. You aren't forced to contract with them. If you don't like it, quit. Leave those of us who are happy alone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The strike idea is completely counterproductive. First of all, if you don't like Uber, end your contractual relationship with them. You'll be happier.
For those of us who enjoy making some extra spend in a completely time flexible manner, all you are going to do is hurt other drivers, hurt the customers who depend on us, and potentially hurt the Uber brand which negatively impacts us all. If you people cost me money by sending me in circles and canceling trips, I will be pissed.
Uber is not designed to be a full time job. Don't treat it as such. They owe you nothing. You aren't forced to contract with them. If you don't like it, quit. Leave those of us who are happy alone.
Drive for Lyft instead

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
A Scab is a Scab whether we are in a union or not. I am a member of a trade union. I know a Scab when I hear one.
Educate yourself, the most commonly defined definition for "Scab" is "A worker, often temporary, who crosses a strikers' picket line, going to work in place of the strikers."

There is and will be no picket line, no one is being specifically hired to replace strikers, and non of us are hired as "temps". I think people believe saying Scab is cool and trendy and just want to pretend they are hip. So keep saying the word over and over and let everyone know how uneducated you truly are.

Good luck to everyone no matter what side you decide to be on that weekend.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Uber and Kalanick love to capitalize on disruption and uncertainty. Drivers are not immune to disruption with Uber as the author. There is no reason to assume or assert others shouldn't rally or try to disrupt the status quo just because you are satisfied. For one, it remains to be seen if the event so much as causes a ripple. The fact is, there are Uber drivers out there in a few places of privilege or with the most casual of needs able to maintain a smile on their faces.

Such terracing of rates and the resulting income disparity is designed to create dissent among drivers. There are, at this very moment plenty of drivers who do quite well and can't imagine the money coming to an end. That is no reason for the majority breaking even should sit on their hands and smile smile smile.

If anything: Drivers making bank or able to keep it so casual as not to need to account fully for expenses, they should damn well step forward in support of their fellow drivers farther down the line of devolution.

Drivers in low rate markets should consider reaching out to drivers in high rate/developing markets. Support should be asked for. Such markets are not yet saturated. Drivers dropping off the app in a rare $1.75/mile market would be far likely to have a meaningful impact for a number of reasons: No alternative in Lyft, if the market isn't yet saturated, it takes less dissent to create disruption.... There are others, but i have to go eat dinner.

Consider creating a sticker for drivers in privileged markets to display in support of sustainable rates and practices in all markets. It is in the developing markets, not yet flooded with Uber drivers where any disruption is likely to be most felt if focused on.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
And going to drive for Lyft doesn't mean much: rates quickly devolve to noncompetitive levels where the two coexist in short order. The catch being that the drivers and neither Lyft nor Uber bear that consequences of that race to the bottom. Going to Lyft equals more of the same.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The odds are I won't work.

I'm surely not going to play games and further decrease my reputation. I'm not about to place any false pins.

I only let rich strangers lead me around. I'm not about to follow a bunch of strangers online.

Screwing around could cause more harm than good and I don't want to lose my Christmas bonus

Reactions: UberNorthStar

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
I have been in a union also. This is not a true strike. It is more of a work stoppage or slowdown, dependent on how many people turn their apps off and enjoy the weekend. Every driver has the right to not participate in this event.

Let us focus on the positive outcome we participants expect from this event rather than focus on the nonparticipants.

JM2cW:)
A slowdown would be everyone accepting pings and not moving. Or waiting 10 minutes to move. Or driving to within a block or two of the pin and then stopping for 10 mins. I actually think that would be more effective as it would SERIOUSLY piss off the pax.

Unfortunately uber would be able to track that. Not working is something they can't do much about since they don't know if you're striking or just didn't work that weekend.

You could call it a,work stoppage I suppose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts