Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between uberX and UberSelect on how far away can riders ping you?

I go online in Denton with my select account, then I check on Uber rider app how far away can people see me as X or as Select. Usually I am visible about 3 miles around as X, and about 5 to 6 miles as Select but this is not always true. Sometimes I am visible as X up to 5 to 6 miles around as well.

Anone know how it works?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Well give a radius of at least 6 miles for X coz u have to see ur self in 360° mode. Radius might be different in different direction depending on the road and timing too and for select I guess it should be more then X coz of premium service to reach further when needed. Looknat black suv. You can detect at least 9-10 miles coz of premium service. It's just an idea from my side.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Recently, while waiting in the Uber "Conga line" at Love field, I got a Select ping from a pax in Preston Hollow about 6-7 miles away. Turned out to be a $37.00 (net) ride, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well give a radius of at least 6 miles for X coz u have to see ur self in 360° mode. Radius might be different in different direction depending on the road and timing too and for select I guess it should be more then X coz of premium service to reach further when needed. Looknat black suv. You can detect at least 9-10 miles coz of premium service. It's just an idea from my side.
That's how sometimes work (different ranges for different types) but I was wondering if time of the day, availability or other reasonable factors would cause it to be different.

I hate getting pings 10 minutes away on X for people who end up charging minimum fares of $2.48. I miss my Select requests sigh*

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
That's how sometimes work (different ranges for different types) but I was wondering if time of the day, availability or other reasonable factors would cause it to be different.

I hate getting pings 10 minutes away on X for people who end up charging minimum fares of $2.48. I miss my Select requests sigh*
You live in Denton and I guess radius must be really far so be careful with the acceptance rate and cancelation. If u happen to get that far, accept it but don't drive and dont answer call. so rider will get frustrated and cancel . Since getting call that far dont make any sense coz uber will not pay u cancelation fee and no show fee. Don't let uber get on you. You get on pax and uber will realize the importance of cancelation fee.

·
Banned
612 Posts
You live in Denton and I guess radius must be really far so be careful with the acceptance rate and cancelation. If u happen to get that far, accept it but don't drive and dont answer call. so rider will get frustrated and cancel . Since getting call that far dont make any sense coz uber will not pay u cancelation fee and no show fee. Don't let uber get on you. You get on pax and uber will realize the importance of cancelation fee.
and with that being said. college kids will wait out the the surge. driving uber up there is not profitable

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
and with that being said. college kids will wait out the the surge. driving uber up there is not profitable
Dang! How come I forget about those kids. Those ride are insane and sometime good but mostly warning to get deactivated coz of low rating they give u lol!!! and remember those kids don't give a shitt about ur car or u all they care is ride and that's why they have low rating mostly but not all. Had Enough with SMU and TCU lol.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dang! How come I forget about those kids. Those ride are insane and sometime good but mostly warning to get deactivated coz of low rating they give u lol!!! and remember those kids don't give a shitt about ur car or u all they care is ride and that's why they have low rating mostly but not all. Had Enough with SMU and TCU lol.
Whenever I'm in the proximity of SMU, I go offline.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I
I've taken many SELECT rides from SMU. Never once have I had an issue.
have had mixed experiences at all university's and colleges. I don't go to them intentialy however if there I stay online especially if it's surge like Friday was. I sometimes let x request go by also. Xl is far more profitable plus they usually go further. At 4.0 surge it really does not matter.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
My best ratings are at SMU.
Pro tips
  1. Don't be old
  2. Be attractive.
  3. Cool is 5 stars.
  4. Know where to score drugs at great prices at a moments notice.
  5. Be willing to buy minors alcohol.
  6. Lie about working on campus
  7. Know which frat house throws the best party on any given night off campus.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Guess you're not special. :p

SMU kids, particularly females request select when they're going to their many formal events...
This. They don't want akbar who doesn't speak English, & has 3rd world attitudes picking them up. They are trying to meet millionaires to hook up with that night.

·
Registered
344 Posts
After over a year of part time, weekend driving, I've never had an issue with the quality of kids from SMU. The trouble is waiting on them and them wanting to blow out the speakers in my little Corolla. Now, with no Cancellation/No Show fees, if they aren't toes on the curb, I'll send my standard "Your UberX driver cancelled after arriving...." text, and cancel immediately. If they are there, which has been happening more often lately, and they want to crank up the speakers, I tend to make a joke about my little car and make it fun, then turn it down. Just like any kid, they need a limit, and because most (not all, I'll submit) of the SMU kids understand how the real world works (even if they aren't living in it yet), they are cool with it. I know they aren't my kids, and I shouldn't have to parent them, but until they have learned how to be a normal grown up, they need that guidance.

Making it an enjoyable trip for them, which in turn makes it enjoyable for me, relieves a lot of the angst toward these kids. I don't offer water, mints, gum, candy or any some such, but if you can remember what it was like to be a teenager trying to spread your wings, and go back to that place in your head, the trips to Kung Fu or 6th on Routh can be enjoyable. Without hesitation, regardless of who is in and out of my car, I always ask them not to slam my door, and most do abide.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
After over a year of part time, weekend driving, I've never had an issue with the quality of kids from SMU. The trouble is waiting on them and them wanting to blow out the speakers in my little Corolla. Now, with no Cancellation/No Show fees, if they aren't toes on the curb, I'll send my standard "Your UberX driver cancelled after arriving...." text, and cancel immediately. If they are there, which has been happening more often lately, and they want to crank up the speakers, I tend to make a joke about my little car and make it fun, then turn it down. Just like any kid, they need a limit, and because most (not all, I'll submit) of the SMU kids understand how the real world works (even if they aren't living in it yet), they are cool with it. I know they aren't my kids, and I shouldn't have to parent them, but until they have learned how to be a normal grown up, they need that guidance.

Making it an enjoyable trip for them, which in turn makes it enjoyable for me, relieves a lot of the angst toward these kids. I don't offer water, mints, gum, candy or any some such, but if you can remember what it was like to be a teenager trying to spread your wings, and go back to that place in your head, the trips to Kung Fu or 6th on Routh can be enjoyable. Without hesitation, regardless of who is in and out of my car, I always ask them not to slam my door, and most do abide.
So if u have been driving over a year then what took you so long to join this forum. You sound like a uber rep from uber Dallas lol

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
So if u have been driving over a year then what took you so long to join this forum. You sound like a uber rep from uber Dallas lol
Less than 1% of Uber drivers are members of this forum. Don't think that just because you and I found it early on after starting driving means that EVERYONE will have found it.

UP.net has been linked in a lot of news stories during the past 4-6 weeks, I imagine txtim1982 found out about the forums here from one of those articles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You are funny. You and I have actually had thread conversations. I'd been watching the site and reading threads for a while, but just joined in January because until then, I didn't feel like I had anything of substance to add.

Feel free to run back through my posts and threads, I've made many complaints about Uber. Although I would love to have an all expenses paid vacation/retreat/corporate outing to Vegas, and unlimited Uber credits, no, I don't work for Uber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts