Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read an article today in Business Insider(I think) that enumerates all the ways that Über is losing massive amounts of money on advertising, marketing, attempting to gain market share & is severely in the red, except in one area.......DRIVER REVENUE!!!!!!!! That's right, you guessed it folks, Über is only in the black off our backs. Right now their only stream of positive revenue is from driver fees. Not surprised.......

We hold more power than you think!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have yet to hear or read one single add to bring in more PAX. 103.5FM had adds to bring more drivers.

What you read, is what Uber wants you to read. Watch TV show Silicon Valley, it has many great lessons about Technology companies in today market. The more money you lose, the more you are worth. Uber is worth $40B, a big number for company that is losing a boat load of money.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to hear or read one single add to bring in more PAX. 103.5FM had adds to bring more drivers.

What you read, is what Uber wants you to read. Watch TV show Silicon Valley, it has many great lessons about Technology companies in today market. The more money you lose, the more you are worth. Uber is worth $40B, a big number for company that is losing a boat load of money.
I understand the concept of business & write off's. I have a Business degree. That wasn't my point. The point is, the only positive in their balance sheet is us, the driver. That speaks volumes.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I understand the concept of business & write off's. I have a Business degree. That wasn't my point. The point is, the only positive in their balance sheet is us, the driver. That speaks volumes.
Ok. But Uber has no other revenue. Google on the other hand has revenue from various sources. Apple has revenue from various products.
Beer companies have revenue from selling beer.

What am i missing that makes this article any different?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. But Uber has no other revenue. Google on the other hand has revenue from various sources. Apple has revenue from various products.
Beer companies have revenue from selling beer.

What am i missing that makes this article any different?
Über is heavily investing in everything but the driver.....all the while pimping us.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not really, that speaks to common sense... Doesn't take a business degree to see and or understand that. As to your point about drivers having the power, i think your grossly underestimating the power of the product, the customer (pax) and Uber. Drivers have enough power to to impact uber in the short-term. So long that there is $$ out there and passenger demand, uber will always find drivers. Drivers are too concerned with $$ to make any concerted effort to use said power.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really, that speaks to common sense... Doesn't take a business degree to see and or understand that. As to your point about drivers having the power, i think your grossly underestimating the power of the product, the customer (pax) and Uber. Drivers have enough power to to impact uber in the short-term. So long that there is $$ out there and passenger demand, uber will always find drivers. Drivers are too concerned with $$ to make any concerted effort to use said power.
The number of "drivers" on the planet is finite, not infinite. Drivers "concerned" about making money, do not drive Uber or get smart & quit. There is no $$$ to be made driving Uber. It's a slight. Eventually the well runs dry & good luck, Uber, w/ self driving cars...... How many do they need to supply demand???? hmmm

·
Registered
151 Posts
The number of "drivers" on the planet is finite, not infinite. Drivers "concerned" about making money, do not drive Uber or get smart & quit. There is no $$$ to be made driving Uber. It's a slight. Eventually the well runs dry & good luck, Uber, w/ self driving cars...... How many do they need to supply demand???? hmmm
If your point were valid, there would be no.Las Vegas. As long as there are humans, they will be looking to make a quick buck. UBER will always have drivers, so don't think they are concerned about drivers being pissed....lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
The real issue is if uber took care of the drivers they currently have, raise the fares a smidge, and stopped advertising trying to keep the turnstile turning they would save a tremendous amount of money.

Not to beat a dead horse, but allowing pax to tip in the ap would do wonders for drivers morale and would lessen the amount the base fares would need to be increased. It would incentivize drivers to give better costumer service, which would lessen the impact on the pax who, let's face it, would still be getting the cheapest ride in town. There is just no reason to maintain that position.

The same goes for marketing. Take care of your drivers and let them market for you. It is in our best interest to get the uber ap on as many phones as possible because that is money in our pocket.

As for drivers utilizing their power to make these things happen, the image of herding cats across a river comes to mind. It may happen, say, if we burn the earth behind the cats, but it isn't very likely in the short term.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
uber is in the red because they're idiots. why are they in china? they're losing so much money in china and other countries because they waltz in and ignore laws.

uber could be profitable if they just focused on building their brand out here in the usa. they're useless though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Seems they are determined to lose in ALL areas.
Mistreatment of their main asset.
Drivers are not Uber's main asset. They're not even part of Uber's long term plan.

The biggest asset is the data, which Uber has far, far more of than any other company. (Lyft is only a fraction of Uber.) Data about trip originations, trip destinations, surges certain customers are willing to pay, demographics, traffic patterns at different times of day, etc. etc.

The second biggest asset is the software they've created. Not just the app, but the payment process and so forth.

Third comes their governmental relationships. They have decent/good/great relationships with nearly every large American city, most major world cities, and with Washington DC's beltway crowd. Their head of PR literally worked for Obama (D. Plouffe).

Their fourth largest asset is their customer base/marketshare/name recognition. Again, like it or not, but they're far ahead of any competitor.

Drivers are a blip on the radar, utterly replaceable. Uber's database engineers and code monkeys are way more important than the drivers, since the engineers/programmers would be far harder to replace. Which is why the engineers and programmers are employees who get stock options and get fully paid health insurance.

Just the facts, man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts