Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surging up to 2x near my home in burbs .... Something very rarely does.

So opened pax ap, showed 6 cars all around me waiting. Like usual.

Plugged in addresses to see fare rates.... No surge pricing. On any platform. Yet drivers app shows 2x. For over 10 minutes.

It's all uber rodeo bs getting ants out there.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
So no surge going TO the rodeo. I've got a nasty cold so I'm not going out tonight, but am watching the app while lying on the couch with my Kleenex. Wondering what it will be like going in. I was hoping there'd be those suburban surges going to Houston, but so far disappointed.

There may have been some less than 2x. I have the surge app set to notify me of 2x and above only. But when I look at the uber app I've seen nothing tonight. Bit of minor surge in the afternoon but nothing after 4pm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drove last night but nothing to or from the rodeo. I watched the app between pickups and saw no surges in the NRG area. Some small ones around Spring and Tomball area as I was heading home. But I made $70 in downtown and the burbs for about 4 1/2 hours. We will see if the rodeo will pick up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So no surge going TO the rodeo. I've got a nasty cold so I'm not going out tonight, but am watching the app while lying on the couch with my Kleenex. Wondering what it will be like going in. I was hoping there'd be those suburban surges going to Houston, but so far disappointed.

There may have been some less than 2x. I have the surge app set to notify me of 2x and above only. But when I look at the uber app I've seen nothing tonight. Bit of minor surge in the afternoon but nothing after 4pm.
What surge app are you using? I'm looking for one that might be considered decent for Android.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What surge app are you using? I'm looking for one that might be considered decent for Android.
Likely this one -> http://www.surgeapp.org/

I've used this for a long time. Used to be able to monitor 10 locations. Now you can only monitor 1 in realtime after Uber ordered them to remove the other options last year. There is a per month fee if you want app to monitor in background. Otherwise free if you have app open.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Likely this one -> http://www.surgeapp.org/

I've used this for a long time. Used to be able to monitor 10 locations. Now you can only monitor 1 in realtime after Uber ordered them to remove the other options last year. There is a per month fee if you want app to monitor in background. Otherwise free if you have app open.
I was afraid of that. Not available for Android, yet. They say it's coming but in the meantime I'm trying out "Surge Chaser." It is actively tracking 6 pins I created so we'll see how long that lasts. It is free for one month and then you have to pay for it, either monthly, quarterly or annually. Just installed yesterday so can't really give an opinion. It runs in the background, apparently all the time, and notifies of surges even though it or the driver app are not currently "running."

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I use Surge Chaser on Android, and just paid for my 2nd monthly subscription. I have 12 pins set up throughout the outlying suburbs as well as a northern enclave in Austin where Uber coverage hasn't been locked out by the geofence. While surge isn't a guarantee of fat fares in Austin's outlying 'burbs due to the multitude of competing TNCs, it is useful for determining areas and times of demand.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was getting all kinds of notifications from Surge Chaser last night when everything blew up around 9:30-11:00. Didn't pursue any as I took the night off but I wanted to see how the app functioned. Will probably pay the fee for a 3 month renewal when my trial expires. It lets me know when surges are developing in areas I've pinned without having to constantly check the driver app which is nice if I'm taking a break or on a trip.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do drivers actually wait and hangout in the yellow lot? I haven't bothered dropping off or even going near the lot. Sitting in the petsmart shopping center and noticing a lot more uber drivers compared to other days waiting for the surge to hit.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I like that folks don't understand the trip destination option. So many drivers say it doesn't work or takes them in the wrong direction so they will never use it again. Thank You! You are right! Uber screws their drivers with this option! Never use a destination! Destination filters are never a good option!
Crap now I sound like that Ub3r!$t!c guy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've been attempting to stay away from the rodeo to avoid the humongous crowds & trying to find the pax. Took a pax to an apartment on Holly Hall last night at 10:07. Turned the app off and bogeyed towards downtown. Got to just before the last exit before 59 & turned the app back on. Immediate ping, Bam, going to the rodeo. Pax called me & they were at the Holiday Inn so like good little ant, I went, picked them up, and ended up with a good ride out beyond Beltway 8 on I-10. Couple was so wasted they needed food & asked if I would take them to Whataburger near their house. Said sure & they wanted to load me down with food. Long story short, got a Choc Malt & a very nice tip on top of the surge ride when I dropped them off. Still doesn't mean I'll make a habit of going to the rodeo, I'll just reactivate my app when I hit downtown next time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dude poured a Michelob Ultra on my car when I said I wouldn't take him with an open container. No cleaning fee for "incidental spills"

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dude poured a Michelob Ultra on my car when I said I wouldn't take him with an open container. No cleaning fee for "incidental spills"
Was it inside the car? You should be able to get Uber to revoke the jerk's account unless they want it spread they won't back their drivers. Of course the recent video of Travis might just confirm that premise.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to just before the last exit before 59 & turned the app back on. Immediate ping, Bam, going to the rodeo
That would normally be a 15 minute ride to pax location. With rodeo crowds & traffic, 30 minutes easily.

Um, wtf are you doing taking every request? You do know acceptance rate means nothing, right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts