Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first of all I went. I was surprised, because unlike some predictions some of us posted earlier, the Uber drivers in attendance were predominantly American. I mean like 97%. I looked around briefly to try and guess if any of you were there and which ones. Uber gave us their facts and then there was a Q & A afterwards. Drivers were respectful, responsive, and most were able to engage properly with Uber staff. There was one guy who tried to get up and throw bible passages at Uber staff.:D Quite entertaining. Ok I took pictures the Powerpoint stills so here it is:

Font Projection screen Rectangle Display device Projector accessory
Projection screen Font Display device Technology Event
Projection screen Font Rectangle Display device Technology
Font Projection screen Display device Multimedia Projector accessory
Projection screen Font Display device Technology Projector accessory
Organism Projection screen Adaptation Font Display device

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let's see if I can post the rest without exceeding bandwidth:
Rectangle Font Projection screen Display device Projector accessory
Font Display device Projector accessory Technology Projection screen
Font Parallel Document Event Paper

OK so in a nutshell:
Uber LOVES you. Travis just had a bad day, they are sick of hearing about it, and they absolutely will not discuss UBERPOOL.

They said the teamsters:
Do not want all drivers to have a vote. They only want a select few but will collect dues from all drivers. New drivers have no right to vote. New meaning hired after October 19, 2016.

Teamsters are the ones who kept us out of the airport for 2 years, not Uber. Teamsters loyalty has always been with taxi drivers.

By April 2, 2017 teamsters will require Uber to turn over all drivers personal info over to them. This includes our name, address, phone number, email, and drivers license number.

There are 14,000 uber drivers in Seattle. Teamsters wants to make it so only 150 can be on the platform at a time. The rest of us ants have to stay home but will still have to pay dues.

If teamsters are voted in, good news / bad news.
Good news: They will get rid of Uber Support.
Bad news: They will get rid of the Greenlight Hubs.
Anytime you need assistance from Uber, you will have to contact teamsters, the teamsters talk to Uber - then Uber back to teamsters, then back to you. You would never know if the teamsters actually talked to Uber for you or if you were even quoted right.

Uber says be wary of any pax asking you lots of questions regarding our job ( different from normal "How do you like driving for Uber questions." ) Be careful signing any cards, offers, and surveys. They may offer you a new car, get rid of UBERPOOL, guarantee you $50.00 an hour if you sign. They may come to your home. They send you emails. Be careful with these emails read them but don't respond. Uber says to read them because some of them may opt you in by NOT responding by a certain date.

They may tell you that you have no choice but it is illegal to force an independent contractor into a union. You have to actually sign in.

Also Uber wants to get rid of drivers being restricted by the county they drive in. Uber want you to be able to travel the entire greater Puget Sound area without being held back by borders. They say the teamsters would keep us restricted to our county limits.

That's all they had for now. They have another meeting coming up. They told us to watch our apps cuz of all the thousands of invites they sent out, only about 100 responded.

Oh and they had some really good donuts! :p:p Best I ever had!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for posting, good job. I was going to go to this but was asked to work my volunteer job at the last minute so didn't go.

Personally I don't really want a union, but I don't think Uber has our best interests at heart either. If Uber wanted to keep us against the Teamsters they should have added a tipping option to the app and made some happy drivers.

W?s it Henry's doughnuts>

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting, good job. I was going to go to this but was asked to work my volunteer job at the last minute so didn't go.

Personally I don't really want a union, but I don't think Uber has our best interests at heart either. If Uber wanted to keep us against the Teamsters they should have added a tipping option to the app and made some happy drivers.

W?s it Henry's doughnuts>
Yes I agree about not wanting a union, but I think the only reason Uber doesn't want it is because it will cut into their commission pay.

I didn't see the logo on the donut boxes, but they where brown with green patterns on it.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Let's see if I can post the rest without exceeding bandwidth: View attachment 102224 View attachment 102225 View attachment 102226

OK so in a nutshell:
Uber LOVES you. Travis just had a bad day, they are sick of hearing about it, and they absolutely will not discuss UBERPOOL.

They said the teamsters:
Do not want all drivers to have a vote. They only want a select few but will collect dues from all drivers. New drivers have no right to vote. New meaning hired after October 19, 2016.

Teamsters are the ones who kept us out of the airport for 2 years, not Uber. Teamsters loyalty has always been with taxi drivers.

By April 2, 2017 teamsters will require Uber to turn over all drivers personal info over to them. This includes our name, address, phone number, email, and drivers license number.

There are 14,000 uber drivers in Seattle. Teamsters wants to make it so only 150 can be on the platform at a time. The rest of us ants have to stay home but will still have to pay dues.

If teamsters are voted in, good news / bad news.
Good news: They will get rid of Uber Support.
Bad news: They will get rid of the Greenlight Hubs.
Anytime you need assistance from Uber, you will have to contact teamsters, the teamsters talk to Uber - then Uber back to teamsters, then back to you. You would never know if the teamsters actually talked to Uber for you or if you were even quoted right.

Uber says be wary of any pax asking you lots of questions regarding our job ( different from normal "How do you like driving for Uber questions." ) Be careful signing any cards, offers, and surveys. They may offer you a new car, get rid of UBERPOOL, guarantee you $50.00 an hour if you sign. They may come to your home. They send you emails. Be careful with these emails read them but don't respond. Uber says to read them because some of them may opt you in by NOT responding by a certain date.

They may tell you that you have no choice but it is illegal to force an independent contractor into a union. You have to actually sign in.

Also Uber wants to get rid of drivers being restricted by the county they drive in. Uber want you to be able to travel the entire greater Puget Sound area without being held back by borders. They say the teamsters would keep us restricted to our county limits.

That's all they had for now. They have another meeting coming up. They told us to watch our apps cuz of all the thousands of invites they sent out, only about 100 responded.

Oh and they had some really good donuts! :p:p Best I ever had!
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thanks for posting. Uber doesn't care about its drivers, and it is insulting that they think they can convince us otherwise with mere words when they treat us with daily disdain.

I am 100 percent a union skeptic, but the way Uber has been ****ing with me lately, I'm coming around to the unionization position. You'd think that right now is when they'd be treating us with some tiny shred of kindness, but no.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for posting. Uber doesn't care about its drivers, and it is insulting that they think they can convince us otherwise with mere words when they treat us with daily disdain.

I am 100 percent a union skeptic, but the way Uber has been &%[email protected]!*ing with me lately, I'm coming around to the unionization position. You'd think that right now is when they'd be treating us with some tiny shred of kindness, but no.
Oh, but what you're seeing now IS their attempt at being kind. Can you imagine if they weren't under threat right now? How come there's no destination filter for Tacoma?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
- Dawn Gearhart "quotes" I want to see sources

- "fully control how they operate their business???" Oops!ber isn't doing that for their drivers now!

"Teamsters wants to make it so only 150 can be on the platform at a time." I want to see that in writing or have a Teamster rep say that in person.

"Anytime you need assistance from Uber, you will have to contact teamsters, the teamsters talk to Uber" want source or rep to say that in person.

I am 100 percent a union skeptic, but the way Uber has been &%[email protected]!*ing with me lately, I'm coming around to the unionization position. You'd think that right now is when they'd be treating us with some tiny shred of kindness, but no.
Thank you!

So here we are folks . . . forced to choose between two evils . . . again??

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
When Uber says it's a taxi driver's union, I think they are somewhat right, but mostly wrong.

IF all Seattle uber drivers had to become paying dues members of a union, I'm pretty sure the sheer numbers of Seattle uber drivers would dwarf the numbers of union taxi drivers, meaning that while it may still have all the disadvantages of a union, very very quickly, it would become an Uber union much more than a taxi union. We'd own the majority of the dues, and we'd own every election.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
When Uber says it's a taxi driver's union, I think they are somewhat right, but mostly wrong.

IF all Seattle uber drivers had to become paying dues members of a union, I'm pretty sure the sheer numbers of Seattle uber drivers would dwarf the numbers of union taxi drivers, meaning that while it may still have all the disadvantages of a union, very very quickly, it would become an Uber union much more than a taxi union. We'd own the majority of the dues, and we'd own every election.
Well, from what Lissetti is reporting, Teamsters would see to it that our numbers would be very limited . . . does anybody (Lissetti?) know if and when the Teamsters are going to hold an informational meeting??

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Well, from what Lissetti is reporting, Teamsters would see to it that our numbers would be very limited . . . does anybody (Lissetti?) know if and when the Teamsters are going to hold an informational meeting??
Referring to this:

http://www.teamsters117.org/about

Even that suggests there are 14,000 uber drivers in Seattle, so 14,000 dues paying members. In contrast "Teamster Taxi Cab", the taxi affiliation of Teamsters 117 http://www.teamstertaxi.org/ reports only 500 members in their organization, and there are 16,000 men and women in Teamsters 117 across Washington State.

I can't imagine a Seattle Uber with only 150 drivers, OR only 150 drivers on the platform at a time.

All that tells me, that should all Seattle Uber drivers be forced to join Teamsters 117, we are going to be a huge chunk of their constituency and their dues.

16,000 of these
  • warehouse workers
  • truck drivers
  • law enforcement officers
  • waste water treatment professionals
  • office clerical workers
  • correctional officers
  • public sector professionals
And now 14,000 Uber drivers

So assuming the Teamsters are as greedy as Uber claims they are, are the teamsters going to protect 500 taxi drivers and keep out 5 - 15,000 new paying members?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Referring to this:

http://www.teamsters117.org/about

Even that suggests there are 14,000 uber drivers in Seattle, so 14,000 dues paying members. In contrast "Teamster Taxi Cab", the taxi affiliation of Teamsters 117 http://www.teamstertaxi.org/ reports only 500 members in their organization, and there are 16,000 men and women in Teamsters 117 across Washington State.

I can't imagine a Seattle Uber with only 150 drivers, OR only 150 drivers on the platform at a time.

All that tells me, that should all Seattle Uber drivers be forced to join Teamsters 117, we are going to be a huge chunk of their constituency and their dues.

16,000 of these
  • warehouse workers
  • truck drivers
  • law enforcement officers
  • waste water treatment professionals
  • office clerical workers
  • correctional officers
  • public sector professionals
And now 14,000 Uber drivers

So assuming the Teamsters are as greedy as Uber claims they are, are the teamsters going to protect 500 taxi drivers and keep out 5 - 15,000 new paying members?
Very good . . . and as an IC how in the world can I be compelled to join a union?

And another thing, we don't know what the bylaws of local 117 are. They may have crafted the rules and parliamentary procedures to ensure that a small minority get say what goes and what doesn't?

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Very good . . . and as an IC how in the world can I be compelled to join a union?

And another thing, we don't know what the bylaws of local 117 are. They may have crafted the rules and parliamentary procedures to ensure that a small minority get say what goes and what doesn't?
Beats me. We'll have to check that out when the Teamsters approach us.

I am only stating Uber's case does not hold water.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The thing is that Dawn represented the taxi drivers against allowing Uber in Seattle. Now that she is representing Uber, I would imagine all those anti-driver sentiments have quickly circled the drain.

As circle1 pointed out - we're ICs. That was the basis for the Fed Chamber of Commerce lawsuit. But the other magic thing bigger than us - this is potentially a major paradigm shift for US employment as a whole! Think about all of those ICs at Microsoft suddenly having the power of collective bargaining behind them!?!?!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts