Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
25,529 Posts
They should be given 3 minutes.
They should not get even that, unless the driver is five blocks or less from them when he accepts the request. If the driver is more than five blocks, they have plenty of time to be toes to the kerb. They can see on their screen when a driver accepts the job. They can see his progress toward them., Unless the driver was five blocks or less from them when he accepted the ping, there is no excuse for their not being outside when the driver arrives.

The fair way to handle this would be:

If the driver is five blocks or less from the customer when he accepts the ping, the customer gets three minutes. If the customer cancels when the driver arrives, the customer pays and the driver receives a cancellation. If the customer cancels before the driver arrives, he does not have to pay.

If the driver is more than five blocks from the job, the customer must be outside. If he is not, the driver can leave and the customer pays a cancellation, which the driver receives. If the customer cancels after five minutes or when the driver is three blocks or less from the pickup address, regardless of time elapsed, the customer pays and the driver receives a cancellation.

This is not calling a taxicab by telephone where you have no idea when, or if, the cab is going to arrive. You can see where your ride is on this one.

Of course, this will not happen, ever. If it helps the drivers or is fair to them, both Uber and Lyft are against it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
They should not get even that, unless the driver is five blocks or less from them when he accepts the request. If the driver is more than five blocks, they have plenty of time to be toes to the kerb. They can see on their screen when a driver accepts the job. They can see his progress toward them., Unless the driver was five blocks or less from them when he accepted the ping, there is no excuse for their not being outside when the driver arrives.

The fair way to handle this would be:

If the driver is five blocks or less from the customer when he accepts the ping, the customer gets three minutes. If the customer cancels when the driver arrives, the customer pays and the driver receives a cancellation. If the customer cancels before the driver arrives, he does not have to pay.

If the driver is more than five blocks from the job, the customer must be outside. If he is not, the driver can leave and the customer pays a cancellation, which the driver receives. If the customer cancels after five minutes or when the driver is three blocks or less from the pickup address, regardless of time elapsed, the customer pays and the driver receives a cancellation.

This is not calling a taxicab by telephone where you have no idea when, or if, the cab is going to arrive. You can see where your ride is on this one.

Of course, this will not happen, ever. If it helps the drivers or is fair to them, both Uber and Lyft are against it.

peiole getting ready for work etc
Ties to curb lol
Keep dreaming especially in wjnter
Not gonna hsioen

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
peiole getting ready for work etc
Ties to curb lol
Keep dreaming especially in wjnter
Not gonna hsioen
Or if it's raining. You've got to give them a little extra time because of weather and maybe other rare circumstances. But still, no more than 1 minute. If they live in a hi-rise they can go to the lobby and order the ride from there.

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
I remember back in the day when Uber gave pax 5 minutes free. Then they realised that many, many pax took full advantage of this. Normal protocol for me would be to arrive at the pax' residence, find somewhere to park up and then turn the engine off and browse the web / read an article etc for the 5 minutes until the pax arrived. There was no point in ditching the pax and not waiting because most pax made drivers wait.

Then Uber realised that with drivers doing 3 trips per hour and 5 minutes wasted each trip, that was 15 minutes every hour, or 25% of their driver fleet waiting curbside at any given time doing nothing and earning Uber $0. So they changed it to 2 minutes free wait and charged wait time after that. Things improved a lot and many pax were toes on curb at arrival or very soon after in order to save themselves a few cents.

But this wasn't enough. Uber should charge pax $1 per minute as soon as the car arrives, and split the revenue 80/20 driver/Uber. Pax ordered the car; they know it's coming and they should be ready. Not ready yet? Then don't order the car yet. Simple. $1 per minute would speed things up nicely. And for the make-you-waits who want to hold the car for themselves outside their residence while they finish getting ready, at 60 bucks per hour I'm happy to wait as long as they wish.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
My market is small enough that I get many repeat passengers. That includes a few repeat d.ckhead passengers who always make me wait. Some time ago I started contacting support and requesting not to be paired again with respectful passengers such as those who always make me wait. I have definitely weeded out a few of the worst repeat offenders.

This change hasn't hit my market yet thankfully.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
But this wasn't enough. Uber should charge pax $1 per minute as soon as the car arrives, and split the revenue 80/20 driver/Uber. Pax ordered the car; they know it's coming and they should be ready. Not ready yet? Then don't order the car yet. Simple.
It really is this simple! How are pax gonna react to the memo that now they get billed $1/min for wait time, show or no show? Well, they're not gonna like it of course. But are they gonna be pissed and not take Uber because of it? 99.9% of them I don't think so. $1/min doesn't sound like a lot. And they know it's on them and they have all the necessary info to be toes-to-curb, so they really have no reasonable grounds to be upset about it.

Also we should be paid for the wait time even for a true no-show. Of course, there needs to be some limit, maybe 5 minutes, so drivers don't abuse this.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Last night I had a pickup where the final 3 minute timer did not start until I had waited nearly 5 minutes. I thought maybe I had not hit the pin but I was right on it, and after about 5 minutes the timer started while I was sitting in the exact same spot. I would have canceled anyway but the pax called me and very politely explained the ride was for his girlfriend and she got off work at 8 and would I please please wait and not cancel etc etc. I guess I was feeling generous because I said OK. But that had nothing to do with the timer not starting, it just didn't start for 5 minutes and it was not a scheduled ride. No extra pennies were added for the wait time. Wtf?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
And if you want a retaliatory downvote, rate a pax 1 or 2.
Unless your rating is already so low that you're getting warnings from Uber, a downvote has no effect on a driver's account or earnings.
It is the passengers who have to protect their ratings, as the drivers will often reject or cancel requests from low-rated pax.

·
25,529 Posts
the pax called me and very politely explained the ride was for his girlfriend and she got off work at 8 and would I please please wait and not cancel etc etc. I guess I was feeling generous because I said OK. But that had nothing to do with the timer not starting, it just didn't start for 5 minutes and it was not a scheduled ride. No extra pennies were added for the wait time

................and of course, ZERO tip was added, as well...........................

41 - 60 of 68 Posts