Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Has it been determined yet if the 7 minute wait time applies to all markets? I haven't gotten anything from Uber yet.

You'd think, being such a benefit to drivers, they'd be anxious to spread the word..."Great News! Now you can earn an extra 22¢ just for sitting in your car."

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Has it been determined yet if the 7 minute wait time applies to all markets? I haven't gotten anything from Uber yet.

You'd think, being such a benefit to drivers, they'd be anxious to spread the word..."Great News! Now you can earn an extra 22¢ just for sitting in your car."
I’m in Chicago and I haven’t gotten anything from uber on the change. So it’s possible it’s some bs test thing with some drivers to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I’m in Chicago and I haven’t gotten anything from uber on the change. So it’s possible it’s some bs test thing with some drivers to see what happens.
It was still 5 minutes in my area tonight. 2 cancellations, one with travel time, $11.50 total..
I still don't fully understand exactly when a cancel will be more than minimum. Travel & surge have something to do with it, or maybe just travel time, but I don't know the math.
Doesn't matter, I'm still cancelling at 5:00.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
"If there is surge in the area, you'll get paid a higher wait-time fee."

HOW MUCH HIGHER????

Also, is it still just $3.75 if after 7 minutes they don't show?

Make the extra surge wait pay high enough and the cancel fee high enough and I'll be on board with this.

In fact, clearly I'm dreaming here, but how about it looks at your $/hr from the previous week, including all promos, and pays you THAT to wait? I'd accept that :D
How about they pay you $100 per second when waiting huh?

I'm just dreaming here.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
It was still 5 minutes in my area tonight. 2 cancellations, one with travel time, $11.50 total..
I still don't fully understand exactly when a cancel will be more than minimum. Travel & surge have something to do with it, or maybe just travel time, but I don't know the math.
Doesn't matter, I'm still cancelling at 5:00.
Only reason why I waited 5 minutes is because I know I was going to get paid $3.75 for the extra 3 minutes I didnt want to be there waiting for pax (I always gave them the first 2 minutes because Im nice). But now, if they are not out within 2 minutes of me arriving, and I know I would have to wait an additional 5 minutes (2+5=7) for a crappy cancellation fee, I would just cancel and be on my way.

·
24,937 Posts
Has it been determined yet if the 7 minute wait time applies to all markets?
It appears that Fubar is rolling it out in markets gradually. There are a couple of markets out West and one in the South. One is Denver. I forget the other two. It just hit Philadelphia this afternoon.

What I will do now is go to the address. Send a message when I am two minutes from them to be outside. I will wait two minutes then leave. I might cancel, I might leave it on the screen and run Lyft until they do cancel.

This seven minutes is gong to cause problems. It is difficult enough to wait five in a downtown of a major city. Seven will be next to impossible. The police at the airports will not let you sit for seven minutes, either. This is typical of the myopic Rocket Scientists who work for Fubar.

Both Fubar and Gryft are very generous with our time.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
It appears that Fubar is rolling it out in markets gradually. There are a couple of markets out West and one in the South. One is Denver. I forget the other two. It just hit Philadelphia this afternoon.

What I will do now is go to the address. Send a message when I am two minutes from them to be outside. I will wait two minutes then leave. I might cancel, I might leave it on the screen and run Lyft until they do cancel.

This seven minutes is gong to cause problems. It is difficult enough to wait five in a downtown of a major city. Seven will be next to impossible. The police at the airports will not let you sit for seven minutes, either. This is typical of the myopic Rocket Scientists who work for Fubar.

They are paying surge wait time now too
Although it's much like pickup premium likely as
they no longer have the minutes broken down..

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I don't know why Uber couldn't have done something like this:

• Passengers now get 7 minutes before driver can cancel and collect fee
  • First 2 minutes are still free
  • Next 5 minutes are charged at $1.00/min (regardless of surge)
  • Cancel fee remains $5 plus driver mileage after first 10 minutes of driving to pickup BUT always includes the wait time. So $10 if pickup was less than 10 minutes but the driver had to wait the full 7 minutes.

So from pax point of view, they pay a maximum of $5 for arriving late. OMG is that so terrible? It's not like they can't avoid it. Simply don't order the Uber until you're ready! It's your own damn fault if you can't do that.

Will paxes switch to Lyft because of these TOTALLY avoidable charges? Hell no... paxes that only use Uber will continue to only use Uber. Paxes who only use Lyft will continue to only use Lyft. Paxes who always go with whichever is cheaper will continue to go with whichever is cheaper. The only result will be more money for drivers, happier drivers, and MORE MONEY FOR UBER.

What a dumb-ass company.

·
Premium Member
7,919 Posts
the fundamental problem is that customers are getting mad currently because the drivers are driving off at 5:01.

mostly because a no-show can easily pay more than a short.

the problem is that passengers know that tre drivers have to wait 5:00 minutes so the paxholes will screw around until 4:45 then come out. The really really disgruntled ones come out at 4:55 and then get mad because at 5:01 the driver leaves.

Some gigantic ******** will hide the last few seconds just because.

What Uber doesn’t realize is that extending this 2 minutes the passengers will just start taking 2 minutes longer once they realize they have 7 minutes instead of 5 minutes.

there will be just as many drivers leaving at 7:01 as there used to be leaving at 5:01.

This however is secondary to the main problem this is going to cause even more issues.

It’s going to further erode driver satisfaction (at least in my market where the driver only gets 8.6c a minute).

Anywhere without proper parking access customers are going to find that it’s even more likely if they arnt toes to the curb that the driver is going to be gone after 19 seconds.

So really…

go ahead and implement this in Orlando. Go ahead…. I’d love any increase in business to the taxis from pissing off more Uber drivers.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I don't know why Uber couldn't have done something like this:

• Passengers now get 7 minutes before driver can cancel and collect fee
  • First 2 minutes are still free
  • Next 5 minutes are charged at $1.00/min (regardless of surge)
  • Cancel fee remains $5 plus driver mileage after first 10 minutes of driving to pickup BUT always includes the wait time. So $10 if pickup was less than 10 minutes but the driver had to wait the full 7 minutes.
Because for some reason you think Uber is interested in rewarding the driver and sticking it to the riders.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Because for some reason you think Uber is interested in rewarding the driver and sticking it to the riders.
I'm not say that at all. I'm just saying if they wanted to give passengers 7 minutes wait time there was a way to do it that would make drivers happy and make more money for Uber.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I've just implemented my new "two and through" policy. I hated waiting the five minutes. PAXs would often come out just as the clock was expiring. But I would wait to see if I could get the cancellation fee. But waiting seven minutes in a seedy neighborhood??? That's plenty of time for some crazy sh** to happen. (Why is it you "almost" never have to wait in the nice neighborhoods.) Now, they've got two minutes and I'm outta there.

·
Premium Member
16,434 Posts
I'm not say that at all. I'm just saying if they wanted to give passengers 7 minutes wait time there was a way to do it that would make drivers happy and make more money for Uber.
This is UBER falling into a classic 'INCENTIVE TRAP' - that is when you offer incentives (i.e. little extra cost to passenger for taking their sweet time to a ride they ordered) there will be the unintended consequences of bad pax behaviour, drivers shuffling, and then when you up the bar on this going from 5 to 7 minutes, then passengers will behave worse, and drivers will get more angry and deliver worse customer service. I agree, some good education: The first 3 minutes after arrival are FREE. $1 per minute after that to a maximum of $7. It is the proper incentive to have PAX ready to go prior to ordering a ride. And very few drivers will cancel if they are getting paid a $ per minute.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
After thinking about this for a few . . . this might be a new Uber Scam. Uber waves many cancellation fees to their frequent users. (but still pays the driver). They probably know most drivers aren't going to wait 7 minutes to take a 5 minute ride. So . . . now Uber won't have to eat the cancellation fees.

·
24,937 Posts
now Uber won't have to eat the cancellation fees.
Correctamundo! Uber had been refunding them to the passengers and still paying the drivers upon passenger protest. As Uber has been hemorrhaging cash since Day One, it must stop every leak possible. This was one. That it was a leak stopped at the drivers' expense and to their detriment only made it more attractive to Uber.

·
Premium Member
3,317 Posts
This is almost unbelievable though. Honest drivers wait til 5:01 and cancel. There's nothing wrong with that. Well, now we have to wait an additional 2 minutes? That means less rides per day. Dara is so out of touch with reality. They should be given 3 minutes. That's 180 seconds to come out, or pay $5 cancellation fee and get another one.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts