Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get this? I'm in Chicago.
No way I'm waiting 7 minutes for a pax. Since Uber hasn't been paying for the first 2 minutes after arrival, I'm only waiting those 2 minutes from this point forward, then leaving. Uber knows that riders are waiting longer for drivers than ever before; now they're going to give them 7 MORE minutes after we arrive?? Good luck with that Uber and pax.

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
No way I'm waiting 7 minutes for a pax. Since Uber hasn't been paying for the first 2 minutes after arrival, I'm only waiting those 2 minutes from this point forward, then leaving. Uber knows that riders are waiting longer for drivers than ever before; now they're going to give them 7 MORE minutes after we arrive?? Good luck with that Uber and pax.

View attachment 604679
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Horrible change. Driver is already under compensated for wait time. Why do I want to wait 7 minutes for pax at $0.13/min. Contrast this to Taxis which charge $0.50 /min. Uber needs to raise the wait time rate if they want the driver to wait longer. Hell, I would love it if I got the Taxi waiting rates, pax can take as long as they want!!!!

Money talks and sh*t walks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
This will only increase shuffling.

It's as if they don't understand the thinking of a driver who gets irritated with PAX who make them wait.

The penalty needs to be placed on the PAX - the people who will pay more for making drivers wait.

They'll never make a driver wait ever again if the fee was like $5 per minute.

So, my comrades, you know what you must do. Punish the PAX that makes you wait.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
uh oh; a market test. Hope it just stays there and fails.

• Love
Reactions: AvisDeene

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Since Uber hasn't been paying for the first 2 minutes after arrival, I'm only waiting those 2 minutes from this point forward,
If you're not waiting for cancel fee, and not interested in earnings per minute after the initial 2 minutes, why even wait the 2 minutes and just leave if not toes to the curb?
now they're going to give them 7 MORE minutes after we arrive?
It was 5 minutes before, and now 7.
Is that not 2 more minutes?

Why do I want to wait 7 minutes for pax at $0.13/min.
What is your per minute rate while on a ride, since wait rate is higher than ride rate? (in my market anyway)

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're not waiting for cancel fee, and not interested in earnings per minute after the initial 2 minutes, why even wait the 2 minutes and just leave if not toes to the curb?

It was 5 minutes before, and now 7.
Is that not 2 more minutes?
If I left every time the pax was not on the curb, I'd have about 1 ride per day. The vast majority of my riders come out between 0 - 2 minutes.

Re-read my post -- Uber is giving them 7 more minutes after I arrive. That's in addition to the minutes they're waiting after they order there ride.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
there are tricks and ways of getting around this. Simply hide in a parking lot or if it's a heavily populated area, drive in circles until the timer runs out. Heck if you're ballsy you can park far and then walk to the area where the pax are supposed to be. Evading annoying pax becomes a science through experience.

7 minutes sucks but it's just an extra 60 seconds. But it's painful I agree

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
there are tricks and ways of getting around this. Simply hide in a parking lot or if it's a heavily populated area, drive in circles until the timer runs out. Heck if you're ballsy you can park far and then walk to the area where the pax are supposed to be. Evading annoying pax becomes a science through experience.

hiding until the timer runs out is still wasting that amount of your time. this is the part i don't understand about shuffling. you are waiting the same amount of time, just not picking up the pax

·
24,936 Posts
if you're ballsy you can park far and then walk to the area where the pax are supposed to be. Evading annoying pax becomes a science through experience.
Bicycle shuffling: When I do this, I put on my mask, a pair of GF's darker, larger and more gaudy sunglasses and a baseball cap that I pull down on my forehead. I sit at the entrance to Wally World (there is one up the street from me). I have the sound down. I sit on the bicycle and have my nose buried in the telephone, This is not an unusual site, here. In fact, there might be three other guys there who are sitting on a bicycle, wearing huge sunglasses and a mask and with hat on head, each with his nose buried in his telephone. The ping comes in, you accept, you "arrive", they come out of the Wally World, They look out in the street, do not see you. They might glance at you, but they go right past you , as you are part of the "scenery" or "background". They ain't lookin' for nobody on no bicycle, so they go right past you. If they call, you have the sound turned down, so it does not ring. You press "decline" when the call notification pops onto your screen and it dismisses it immediately. You go back to trolling whatever internet forum you are trolling, then bring up your Uber screen and check. If it is close to countdown, you wait out the time, cancel, then collect your fee. You then return to trolling whatever internet forum it was that you were trolling until the next ping arrives.

There is also the barstool shuffle. @New2This is an experienced expert at it.

It actually is one hundred twenty seconds. It is more annoying when taken in toto than when you consider only the extra two minutes. I see more than a little passenger abuse of this in the future. Once more, Uber proves just how generous is it with our time.

hiding until the timer runs out is still wasting that amount of your time. this is the part i don't understand about shuffling. you are waiting the same amount of time, just not picking up the pax
You must do the arithmetic. I am in an urban market, whereas you are in a smaller market. You get a ping here in the Downtown. It takes you, say, four minutes to cover it. It takes the customer, say, two minutes to come out. It takes you, say, eight minutes to run it. In this market, a minimum can take you even twenty minutes to run. You have invested fourteen minutes to get your four bananas for the minimum. Instead, you take two minutes to cover. You wait five minutes as you shuffle. You cancel no-show. You have invested seven minutes to collect your four bananas. For the shuffle, you have invested half the time required actually to run the job and received the same four dollar return.

It actually has applications even in a small market. Grocery store customers in small markets have overstuffed carts. If it takes you five minutes to cover the ping, five more to get the customer out of the store and load the groceries, seven minutes to arrive at the dropoff address, three more to unload, you have invested twenty minutes for your three dollars seventy five. If you take five to cover and five to shuffle, you have invested ten minutes, half the time, for the same return; three dollars seventy five.

Apply this to a local round trip: a brew run, a 7-11 run or whatever. The bottom line is that you do not get paid for the return trip, as the whole thing is a minimum. You can invest twenty minutes in one of these even in a small market if you consider the time required to cover, wait at pickup, drive, wait at beer store, run back, do you closing bookwork. Shuffle him and for half the time invested, you get the same payoff.

POOL is where shuffling REALLY pays. If you cover one or two and shuffle two, on a short or mediocre trip, your payoff is better than what it would be on a cab meter for the same or similar trip. The two minute time limit on POOL makes it easy to shuffle in an urban market, especially Express POOL. If you know your city, and I know mine, you can guess the office building from which they are coming. You pull up katty korner, with the result that the passenger must cross twice. Usually, that lets the two minutes expire and buh-BYE!!!!!!!

Now, if Fubar and Gryft would pay us decent rates and treat us properly, we would not have to stoop to such dishonesty. As long as those two are going to steal from us and do everything that they can to hurt us and stop us from turning a profit, I am going to compensate so that I can turn a profit. Uber Boy Scouts and Lyft Camp Fire Girls have no business telling me to play clean while everyone else plays dirty. As Churchill once put it, "Why should we have to act the gentleman, with all of its disadvantages while they act the scoundrel with all of its advantages?" (or words similar).

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Could of worked if the cancellation fee was higher like the previous post mentioned. If they start getting way more cancellations it'll change. All the ants are coming back though and that probably isn't going to happen.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,444 Posts

View attachment 604679
Post that on Facebook along with the crappy rate you get paid to wait. Then post a link here so we can all voice our opinions. Uber hates negative publicity. Heck in some markets I drive in, wait time is $0.0884 per minute or $5.304 per hour. So waiting that 7 minutes will get you 5 minutes paid or a whole $0.44.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Post that on Facebook along with the crappy rate you get paid to wait. Then post a link here so we can all voice our opinions. Uber hates negative publicity. Heck in some markets I drive in, wait time is $0.0884 per minute or $5.304 per hour. So waiting that 7 minutes will get you 5 minutes paid or a whole $0.44.
If only we had an Instagram Influencer here that could post it.

What this change will actually do for me, is to cancel at 2 minutes, take the loss, and move on to the next rider. If I start taking a $$ hit, then I guess my time in the sun is over.
I am simply devasated lol.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Re-read my post
LOL. Don't need to. I just thought it was funny.

The vast majority of my riders come out between 0 - 2 minutes.
So because the vast minority may take 5 min vs 3 min after the initial 2, you (over)dramatically proclaim an overhaul to your whole pickup system?

Uber is giving them 7 more minutes after I arrive.
Uber is giving them 7 minutes after you arrive, not 7 "MORE" minutes as you continue to say.
Since it was 5 minutes previously, they are given 2 MORE minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
"If there is surge in the area, you'll get paid a higher wait-time fee."

HOW MUCH HIGHER????

Also, is it still just $3.75 if after 7 minutes they don't show?

Make the extra surge wait pay high enough and the cancel fee high enough and I'll be on board with this.

In fact, clearly I'm dreaming here, but how about it looks at your $/hr from the previous week, including all promos, and pays you THAT to wait? I'd accept that :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts