Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber's New Feature

4K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Horsebm 
#1 ·
Received an email from Uber about a new feature on the app, starting today. It's a feature that lets you accept a ride while currently on another ride, i'm assuming close to the dropoff location of the current pax. Emailed mentioned it helped with downtime for drivers and quicker pickup for passengers. Was curious if anybody took advantage of that feature and accepted a ride while still on one and how that worked?

#5 ·
Not really. Line/Pool requests are when riders share portions of the same trip. These stacked rides are separate trips so you won't be paid to drive to the second request. I would prefer all rides function like this. So long as I have my destination entered into the app they know where I'm going to end up and roughly when. Why send the request to a driver who may be 15 minutes away when I'm dropping off across the street in 5 minutes?

#4 ·
It is the digital/satellite/GPS/computer version of the old "en route" bidding on cab voice dispatch. I wonder what took them so long. In fact, I did suggest it to the local Operations Manager here some time back. The funny thing about this is that I have seen only one cab call assignment program that did have a feature that allowed stacking of jobs for one driver. It did require a human being who knew what he was doing (READ: A REAL DISPATCHER) to put it to use, but it could not have been that hard a leap to do it automatically. I have little doubt that the computer assigned en-route call will be too far away, half the time, but we will see.

#12 ·
a major problem with this feature is ... what happens if you're matched to the 2nd trip and then the 1st rider decides he wants to add additional stops to his existing trip? Already happened to me tonight

#14 ·
. Thanks for clearing that out,I meant that the request overlapping with the rider in the car is similar to a ping coming through for a line ride,the only difference that I understand is there won't be two different riders inside ur car,but for a driver of won't be any different. Drop of and the app will take u to ur next pax waiting. Timing is very crucial for this feature to be successful.Impatient Uber Pax won't wait too long for you to drop off the pax who makes u stop at 7/11 right before the destination.it's a wonderful feature and I'd love to see how it unfolds practically.
What if you want to stop to eat or take a bathroom break or get gas?? How you supposed to go offline if you have another pax prior to dropping off your current pax???

#26 ·
With Uber you never know when the ride requests will come in or even back to back requests. If you have to piss, use your Starbucks cup, make sure you dump it at the next red light or stop sign. If you don't have time to dump it between your drop off and pick up, just put the cup lid on, no one will know but you. If you want to eat, carry a string cheese, health food bar or an apple, whatever you can snack on. As far as gas, you shouldn't ever let your tank get so low that you can not complete a ride request or two or three or... Unless your driving a H-2 Hummer and I doubt that.

#23 ·
I had one last night and I don't really care for it. I had a drop off in a bad section of town and didn't want the request. Also, I REALLY had to pee but now I have to choose between my acceptance rate, my personal comfort or potentially bring robbed. I feel like this is Uber trying to force fares on me when I may not be in a position to take them. The whole appeal of Uber ( for me ) is the flexibility to take fares when and where I want. I have a method that works for me and I'd like to stick with it - it doesn't involve taking fares in high volume/low rate aread like ASU. I rather have one 12 dollar fare versus three 4 dollar fares. Drop the acceptance rate penalty for these requests and I love the feature. As much as I'd like to blindly believe this is Uber trying to help it's partners, it feels way too much like a control mechanism. Careful Uber... when this starts to feel like a call center on wheels, you might be crossing that very thin line between contractor and employee.

#30 ·
Totally irks me that there is no way to talk with the programmers or app dev team. I've created dozens of apps ... and I'm quite sure I could have provided input that would have eliminated many of the Uber app issues. *clearly none of the app developers have ever p/u pax ... maybe they've never driven a car ... lol

#31 ·
Acceptance rate should not be greatly affected by refusing what will amount to, at most, 1 trip per day. Your rate is gauged by how many times you tap accept, not how many trips you complete. So all those times someone pinged you over and over cancelling for whatever reason, those count as accepted. Same for any cancelled trip. If you're really that worried accept and then see if pax cancels while you piss or eat.

#44 ·
Reactions: Horsebm and Txchick
#39 ·
Accept and go do your thing. When they call tell them you didn't even realize you accepted the ride and you are now in the shitter trying to get the attention of the staff to bring you toilet paper. But you'll be there as soon as you can. Of course, if they want to cancel and order another uber that would be fine too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.