Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Uber's website shows that the Fuel card gives "upto $.15 per gallon in discounts based on a $3.50/gal pricepoint", but when I got the card in the mail, it shows it gives upto $.10 per gallon in discounts.

However, the ONE time I've used it so far was at my local gas station nearest to my home.

$20 for 9.75 gallons in gas @ $2.05 per gallon.

Theoretically, without any discounts, I should have $180 left available. But as we all know, we get the discount by using the card, so I wanted to check how much of a discount I got.

Without a discount, I'd have $180 left. It's pretty simple without math since it's only been one refuel so far, I had left to use a total of $182.31. This means that I saved $2.31 on those 9.75 gallons in total.

This equals 23.7 cents per gallon in savings. I'm doing this correctly, right?

So I essentially got my gas at $1.822 per gallon? Does this sound correct considering the mailer the card came in says upto $.10/gal? I'm kind of excited! LOL

If this, in fact, is the savings i'm getting on one tank of gas, and I fill my tank up each night, 5 nights a week, assuming this discount is static as I refill at the same place all the time:

This is over a $46 discount monthly in fuel expenses.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The fuel card is a joke and does not offer much a discount. It clearly says 'up to'. I have seen $1 savings on a fill-up, etc. It's also varies based on the gas station.

I am a little confused about the $180 you are referencing. If it is the amount available, don't let Uber fool you. Also, this is not a good way to determine your savings. You can see the real discounts if you login to web/rewards and each transaction will show the discount. I believe that amount can increase/decrease and increase based on your earnings. You have $100 coming to you, we increase your balance $100. It is designed so you are driving more to bring up your earnings.

A major gas card will offer more savings and but I personally stopped using the Uber card and only use cash to fund operating Uber. I found myself driving more as I wanted to see my weekly goal deposited each week which I was constantly chasing as gas charges were posting constantly.

Now I pay for my gas out of my business account, my weekly deposits are whole without any deductions, and I am driving a lot less thus saving on gas and mileage on my car.

Here is a month of my transactions from about 6 months ago which I literally saved $6.93 out of the $391.45 I spent in gas. Far from $46 a month.

upload_2016-6-23_15-34-37.png

My advice.....ditch the gas card and don't operate on credit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say this and that's perfectly fine, but I do Uber Full time and don't have great credit. And I don't see where/how you're getting that "Screen" on your phone. I see nothing like that on the mobile partners page OR the desktop version.

I have $200 maximum weekly that I am able to spend through the Uber Fleet Fuel Card. I spent $20, However it credited me back a total of $2.31 over the 9.75 gallons that I purchased on that fill-up. That $2.31 for the 1 fill-up is a 23.7 cents per gallon savings. Is that "technically" correct?

I keep receipts on everything I purchase while driving with Uber. So as you may have good credit to get such a fuel rewards card, I would think that this card is a very good deal in my own honest opinion. But then again, I drive Uber full time and I enjoy driving and talking to new people.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've used the card 10 times lately to try it out. QT gave me the most savings at 2.9% per gallon. Other gas stations only had 1.5% savings per gallon.

I agree with HotRodriguez75 that using cash instead of the card is better. When you use the card, the transactions may not post until next week. Then you may have -$100 to start the week and your getting out of that hole. That's not fun and plus your true weekly earnings are not shown correctly because the fuel charges are taken out. For example, the partner app will say you earned $300 in a week, but you really made $400 (started the week in the hole $100 for fuel charges).

To find your transactions I went to:

Go to partner app --> Ratings --> Partner Rewards --> Scroll down to "Track Your Status" (using app on iPhone)
Go to partners.uber.com --> Rewards --> Track Your Status --> Learn More

·
Registered
187 Posts
While I understand and respect the value of cash transactions, you are truly shorting yourself one way or another if you are using cash for your fuel. You could be either saving cash money straight up by using a commercial fuel card with a good savings rate, or a good credit card that pays cash back or reward points or some other type of incentive. The point is, pro drivers buy a TON of gas, and if you are using the right card to do it, you will be rewarded. I personally go for the savings of a company fuel card.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Airline miles > the rest. Charge everything under the sun on it. Tolls, gas, food, etc etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dirtylee and ExpendableAsset : To both of you, I whole heartedly agree. dirtylee, you have been very helpful in both of my initial posts, thank you for that.

financeguy13 I go there now, and don't see ANY Transactions yet I've used my card twice...Which is funny. Because after the first transaction, it showed. And I'll let someone here, possibly dirtylee or ExpendableAsset do the math FOR me.

Facts as I know them, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The card has $200 max limit on it per week, correct?
You can use it up to 3 times per day, correct?
The initial charge (seen below) was for 9.75 Gallons.
First Transaction, I charged $20 to it.
First transaction, It discounted my fuel charge of $20 by $2.31.
This means I got a $2.31 discount over 9.75 gallons. (Am I correct in stating this?)

$2.31/9.75 Gallons == $.2369 == 23.69 Cents per Gallon Savings?

The math for this is freaking simple as I see it is straight forward (especially for just one fill up)

Am I seeing this correctly as in seeing that it is a 23.7 Cents per Gallon Discount? If not, Please correct my math. Because it is DEFINITELY NOT a 2.4 Cents per Gallon discount. I would have had to pump a hell of a lot more gas with no more discount for that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@HotRodriguez75

You can use cash out of your business account if you want, that's your choice. But ever heard the saying "Every little bit adds up"?
Whether it's $46 a month or $7 a month, You're SAVING money. Looks like your COMPLETE Fill Up is around $40? Hrmm, 6 months and you've got a free tank of gas? I would call that money in your pocket, dude. And ANY Money in your pocket is a good thing, am I correct?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
@HotRodriguez75

You can use cash out of your business account if you want, that's your choice. But ever heard the saying "Every little bit adds up"?
Whether it's $46 a month or $7 a month, You're SAVING money. Looks like your COMPLETE Fill Up is around $40? Hrmm, 6 months and you've got a free tank of gas? I would call that money in your pocket, dude. And ANY Money in your pocket is a good thing, am I correct?
Please provide an update in about 1 - 2 months, dude and let us know how that card is working for you.

The facade with this card is to save (up to $.15 per gallon) and people go into thinking they will be saving. In my opinion, based on my own experience and other drivers, it is designed so you drive more.

Imagine starting a week where your earnings are at a negative, then you come out of the negative and another charge is taken out. You end up driving more. More miles and depreciation on your vehicle. I would rather save my vehicle depreciation which will far exceed $7 per month by not running my business on credit.

I am all about saving an extra buck or two, but as I have experienced and witnessed, you drive more to cover those gas costs. For me, I would rather see that $500 deposited into my account weekly and my gas being paid from money I already have rather than running my business on credit, which the gas card is a line of credit.

I agree completely that there are other ways to save (credit cards point, commercial gas cards, etc), however some are not in the position to get a decent line of credit. In those instances, I think cash is kings.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I've used the card 10 times lately to try it out. QT gave me the most savings at 2.9% per gallon. Other gas stations only had 1.5% savings per gallon.

I agree with HotRodriguez75 that using cash instead of the card is better. When you use the card, the transactions may not post until next week. Then you may have -$100 to start the week and your getting out of that hole. That's not fun and plus your true weekly earnings are not shown correctly because the fuel charges are taken out. For example, the partner app will say you earned $300 in a week, but you really made $400 (started the week in the hole $100 for fuel charges).

To find your transactions I went to:

Go to partner app --> Ratings --> Partner Rewards --> Scroll down to "Track Your Status" (using app on iPhone)
Go to partners.uber.com --> Rewards --> Track Your Status --> Learn More
I stick with the ones that I know provide the 3% discount. Generally paying cash is a good idea, unless you receive a discount for using credit. The fuel card doesn't charge interest, so there's really no reason not to use it. Either way you're buying gas, why not get the discount? Even if it's 3% and seems like a worthless discount it eventually adds up over he course of a year. Not only do you save money for Uber gas, you save money on personal gas as well. Running any business is all about the margins, cut costs wherever you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already drive 78 hours a week and push about 8000 miles a week on my car because I love driving and I run this as a full time business. It's going extremely well, so if I don't have to keep cash on hand, it works well for me.

Its only 20 a tank which nets me about 370 miles and I am happy up no the card. I've already taken into account 150 in expenses every week in fuel and I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
8000 a week? I love driving an all but 8000 miles divided by 370 per tank is about 20 tanks of gas or $400 a week in gas. I suppose you are leasing a vehicle as well?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I filled up one time at QT on it....maybe it's because my car is a diesel, but I didn't get a single penny in savings. Haven't used it since. Diesel is the only way to fly with ride share, I get 40 mpg in the city, and 50 on the highway. (hand calculated, not the idiot gauge on the dash) 779 miles per tank, has been the furthest I've pushed the needle so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pump receipt was $23. Uber deducted $24.75!!! Any explanation?
I used it twice, both time about 1-2 dollars more than what I should have been paying? Forget about saving, but overcharge?!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pump receipt was $23. Uber deducted $24.75!!! Any explanation?
I used it twice, both time about 1-2 dollars more than what I should have been paying? Forget about saving, but overcharge?!!!
It s your problem bro you wanna do business with thieves ! Cancel the card bro!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep in mind that some gas stations. You can prepay for gift cards and they give the best discounts if you are using their card. Even without credit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buy discounted gas gift cards

Sites like PlasticJungle and GiftCardGranny's websites they sometimes sell discounted gas gift cards for gas stations like Shell, Gulf and Mobil. This means you could get a gas card worth, say, $100 but only pay about $95 for it. That’s $5 in free gas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts