Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been happening since Uber last announced “improvements” to their in-app navigation. This route has me driving past the pickup location and taking a loop around the block. NO, it doesn’t always coincide with getting your passenger door on the right side of the street. These lame azz programmers sold Dara a bill of goods. Not only are these routes time consuming, they result in a delay with the app recognizing the drivers arrival. That’s why I don’t depend on the app to notify the pax I am there. I message them if they are not toes on the curb.

Font Rectangle Parallel Technology Electric blue

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
This has been happening since Uber last announced “improvements” to their in-app navigation. This route has me driving past the pickup location and taking a loop around the block. NO, it doesn’t always coincide with getting your passenger door on the right side of the street. These lame azz programmers sold Dara a bill of goods. Not only are these routes time consuming, they result in a delay with the app recognizing the drivers arrival. That’s why I don’t depend on the app to notify the pax I am there. I message them if they are not toes on the curb.

View attachment 686547
Is it possible that the app is looping you around to set you in the correct direction after you start the trip…?

But then again if the app were to do that, Uber is just looking to ensure the turnaround is on your time and not theirs… 😉

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible that the app is looping you around to set you in the correct direction after you start the trip…?

But then again if the app were to do that, Uber is just looking to ensure the turnaround is on your time and not theirs… 😉
Correct direction? No. Seems random. Uber needs to not worry about micromanaging stuff like that. When the pax has a driveway that to pull into the direction doesn’t matter. Whatever the reason, they are wasting my time and costing me extra miles.

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
In the transportation industry, route drivers are mostly taking right hand turns for two reasons. Safety and efficiency. Ups, fedex, hdl, all those big boys follow these rules.

So Uber has adopted this practice to look like they care about the environment and the drivers. In practice this does nothing for the driver except for making more right hand turns to get to the same place if they made one left hand turn.

Less is more!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the transportation industry, route drivers are mostly taking right hand turns for two reasons. Safety and efficiency. Ups, fedex, hdl, all those big boys follow these rules.

So Uber has adopted this practice to look like they care about the environment and the drivers. In practice this does nothing for the driver except for making more right hand turns to get to the same place if they made one left hand turn.

Less is more!
The route I posted includes a left turn. Kinda blows that theory out of the water. I have done numerous screen captures of these types of routes and there is no apparent rhyme or reason.

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
The route I posted includes a left turn. Kinda blows that theory out of the water. I have done numerous screen captures of these types of routes and there is no apparent rhyme or reason.
I didn't say they only did right hand turns. I believe the word I used was mostly.

They avoid left hand turns if at all possible.

Common Sense today just ain't common anymore. Especially when you went by the address in the first place you could have just stopped and they could have walked across the street.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Correct direction? No. Seems random. Uber needs to not worry about micromanaging stuff like that. When the pax has a driveway that to pull into the direction doesn’t matter. Whatever the reason, they are wasting my time and costing me extra miles.
it's about stopping driver's from doing U-Turns, you are going on and on about nothing, look on map at where you are going before or on the way to the trip pick-up.

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
it's about stopping driver's from doing U-Turns, you are going on and on about nothing, look on map at where you are going before or on the way to the trip pick-up.
Wait a minute, you mean you don't blindly just follow what the GPS says?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Wait a minute, you mean you don't blindly just follow what the GPS says?
i run two devices a 10 inch tablet and one 8 inch tablet
one is for uber other is for lyft, when on a trip i run waze on the other tablet to see local street view

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
What U-turn? It was a LEFT turn into a driveway. AND Uber routinely routes U-turns where they are illegal.
Because the algorithm thinks it's safer for you to do the other route.

Uber's algorithm will send you a half a mile down a hard median divided road to do u-turn when there is a left hand turn lane in that median to go where you need to be.

Does that make sense? No it does not. Do we complain about it, most people don't. We just take a left and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
i run two devices a 10 inch tablet and one 8 inch tablet
one is for uber other is for lyft, when on a trip i run waze on the other tablet to see local street view
Driving 7 years in the same town there's not too many surprises anymore. There's a crap load of streets in this town and that's the only reason why when I get to where I need to be I use the gps. Cuz I don't know every Street name in the city.

I just use a single 10.1 inch for Uber.

I use my cell phone to see when Uber is lying to me about surge payments not being on the ticket when it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
@W00dbutcher
yes i know some times it will send us way out of the way, i have seen it do a few miles to be safe,
but we can look at the map and do our own thing.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Cuz I don't know every Street name in the city.
i cover 3 markets, OC,LA, Inland Empire and some times san diego, no way i can every know all street names and the best way to get to all places,
that's way i run waze's on the other tablet, i can see full street view and updated map traffic info.

·
Registered
276 Posts

View attachment 686547
your city knowledge and good judgement is required at times... navigation app can be a joke wasting precious fuel and time, is up to you to figure out best way to reach that pick point on the shortest route possible, and if you are still doing it on base fares when fuel is up over 40 percent nothing but an emoji palm and a pathetic reaction lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a general rule, I don't pull into driveways for 2 reasons: 1) Probably 5% of the time the address is close but a house off, I drive overnight, don't want to disturb the wrong house 2) I drive in high crime areas, and prefer to stay at the curb in case a quick exit is needed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts