Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,460 Posts
This is a tough one. It is really a "niche market", and having dedicated resources to accommodate special needs can be costly if those resources are not booked on a steady basis. It is certainly an elephant in the room. Our company does not have a wheelchair accessible van, and it may be tough to load someone in some of our vehicles. If we know if the needs, in advance, we find a way to accommodate. I can count, on one hand, the number of requests and inquiries for special accommodations we have had in five years.

· Registered
4,460 Posts
Tell that to every store, hotel, apartment complex, theater, etc., that has had to remodel their entrances, restrooms, aisles, etc., because of the ADA.

(And again: This is strictly Uberlyft's problem; drivers are NOT subject to the ADA and any driver deactivated over this can sue for employee status.)
Agreed! It is the same problem for them. I have a friend who closed his bar because of the requirements to remodel. I am sensitive to the needs of people with special mobility requirements, but it takes a lot of money to provide these requirements, and if the demand does not bring an ROI, it can put one out of business. I do not consider that to be "the greater good" With my friend, it was not good enough for them to say "if someone needs special assistance, my staff will single-handedly assist them" the requirements were beyond what he could ever see in return.

When we make last minute reservations at hotels, often times the only rooms they have left open are the wheelchair accessible rooms. That is a good indicator of the slower demand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.