Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'd like a list of people here who have opted out of Uber's binding arbitration clause.

If you don't know what it is then you probably didn't opt out.

There are many posts on this website about it even instructions on how to opt out but, it must be done within 30 days of signing up or else you are bound to arbitrating with Uber through a third-party agency and cannot take them to court.

This also means that if there is a class-action in New Jersey you cannot join... but like I said unless you were one of those few drivers who led the contract and opted out.

I also gave a second opportunity for people to other contract in December 2015 when the judge and California made them redo the contract.

So if you didn't opt out keep in mind in the future they change anything in the contract and ask you to agree read the contract and then you will be able to opt out because the agreement has changed and you are agreeing to a new agreement.

Mini drivers that I have spoken to get confused easily and frustrated on this legal mumbo jumbo don't care about opting out but when there becomes a large settlement for New Jersey drivers and about how they will feel then. Even if most of the class gets only $500 bucks each... its still something...

Like for those Uber drivers who drive a new/almost new BMW or a Benz... thats a car payment:p:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently opted out. Given all of the hoops and hurdles and apparent money they are skimming off everyone, I did not want to be bound. This would be a smart move for others to take.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do we opt out
https://uberpeople.net/threads/opt-out-of-binding-arbitration-clause.41132/

OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION CLAUSE
(excerpt from the US Nov 2014 Partner Agreement)

viii. Your Right To Opt Out Of Arbitration.
Arbitration is not a mandatory condition of your contractual relationship with the Company. If you do not want to be subject to this Arbitration Provision, you may opt out of this Arbitration Provision by notifying the Company in writing of your desire to opt out of this Arbitration Provision, either by (1) sending, within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by you, electronic mail to [email protected], stating your name and intent to opt out of the Arbitration Provision or (2) by sending a letter by U.S. Mail, or by any nationally recognized delivery service (e.g, UPS, Federal Express, etc.), or by hand delivery to:

LEGAL
RAISER LLC
1455 Market St., Ste. 400
San Francisco CA 94103

In order to be effective, the letter under option (2) must clearly indicate your intent to opt out of this Arbitration Provision, and must be dated and signed. The envelope containing the signed letter must be received (if delivered by hand) or post-marked within 30 days of the date this Agreement is executed by you. Your writing opting out of this Arbitration Provision, whether sent by (1) or (2), will be filed with a copy of this Agreement and maintained by the Company. Should you not opt out of this Arbitration Provision within the 30-day period, you and the Company shall be bound by the terms of this Arbitration Provision. You have the right to consult with counsel of your choice concerning this Arbitration Provision. You understand that you will not be subject to retaliation if you exercise your right to assert claims or opt-out of coverage under this Arbitration Provision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts