Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Which would you rather have, a weekend surge that fluctuates between 1.0x-2.0x or a constant surge at 2.95x(just the mile) for 50-75 trips. No significant convention this coming weekend, so I highly doubt there will even be surges in the weekend. But, if you decide to do it, you must get at least 50 rides or else you'll end up with peanuts.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Cars literally on top of each other, I doubt it.
Have you been to the Uber office lately? I went 3 times the last couple of weeks there weRe so many people trying to get approved to drive before EDC. Now they haven't driven long enough to be discouraged and quit. The cycle is just beginning and Uber is trying hard to keep them around.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Pricing transparency is currently used by Uber in Mumbai and Hyderabad India.

Uber plans to roll out the change in pricing in the app globally in the next few months. Uber told Techcrunch reporter Sarah Buhr in May 2016.

No more surge pricing unfortunately.

Upfront fares: no math and no surprises it is called on the Uber newsroom posted by Arundhati Sungh and Dennis Zhoa , product managers today.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Total bs, because of this Uber slave Guarantee this weekend there are no surges!!!!!! There are literally cars on top of each other!!!
For the last 2weeks there was surges everyday until today.it looks like we are paying back the money we made during surges ...uber is scam. Uber is giving clients services at our expenses and uber gets all the credit.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
My pax today are telling me they would rather go back to old rates then be surprised by surge pricing. They would still happily ride. I've had some admit to low rating driver when they have to pay surge. I've had pax today talking about not going too far to walk if uber is surging later. They were thrilled to hear surge is very unlikely tonight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pricing transparency is currently used by Uber in Mumbai and Hyderabad India.

Uber plans to roll out the change in pricing in the app globally in the next few months. Uber told Techcrunch reporter Sarah Buhr in May 2016.

No more surge pricing unfortunately.

Upfront fares: no math and no surprises it is called on the Uber newsroom posted by Arundhati Sungh and Dennis Zhoa , product managers today.
I can PROMISE you that Uber's surge isn't going anywhere. Uber is Uber because of the surge system. Without it, the fulfillment rate on requests would drop substantially.

Uber wants to lower the amount of time surges last through streamlining and driver sign ups.

Yes, I'm 100% sure of what I'm saying and yes, I do have inside information that I'm not willing to disclose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My pax today are telling me they would rather go back to old rates then be surprised by surge pricing. They would still happily ride. I've had some admit to low rating driver when they have to pay surge. I've had pax today talking about not going too far to walk if uber is surging later. They were thrilled to hear surge is very unlikely tonight.
Tell them that surge allows them to pay what they want for a ride within 5 minutes. They have the freedom to walk. But without surge Uber doesn't work.

Than tell them to average out their last 10 trips and they will see they are paying way less than for a cab.

That argument has 100% worked for me. Don't let passengers think that every trip should be non surged. Without surge, Uber would dry up. Drivers would leave, passengers would get pissed at wait times, etc.

Surge, literally, is one of the smartest things Uber did.

I'm not drinking the kool aid on all things Uber. But the surge model is why Uber works.

Literally if you have more questions about surge feel free to contact me through PM

·
Registered
86 Posts
100% my dear! They will gladly pay a higher flat fee that 2-3x the normal fee. In the eyes of pax even at .25 a mile at a 3x surge the mind thinks why pay 3x the amount.. Dont make sense.. 1.50 a mile flat fee plus .40 a min and 2.20 base fare is fair. Surges are good but I barely get rides once they reach over 2.2. unless emergency..

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Tell them that surge allows them to pay what they want for a ride within 5 minutes. They have the freedom to walk. But without surge Uber doesn't work.

Than tell them to average out their last 10 trips and they will see they are paying way less than for a cab.

That argument has 100% worked for me. Don't let passengers think that every trip should be non surged. Without surge, Uber would dry up. Drivers would leave, passengers would get pissed at wait times, etc.

I'm not drinking the kool aid on all things Uber. But the surge model is why Uber works.

Literally if you have more questions about surge feel free to contact me through PM
Surge is a double edge sword to us drivers for sure. I have to admit today felt so much better just accepting the rides that cam in not worrying...is it surge or not. The difference in the pax attitude is palpable when they get in and comment that it's surge pricing now, they become more impatient and frustrated with every red light. Not like the wait time adds up the way it does in a cab. Give me a promo like this anytime...damn right I'll chase it because in the end I KNOW I am going to do what it takes to get the guarantee and not worry about the low stars from angry pax who rate low when they have to pay more. They see surge as a failure for us to supply enough drivers. They also KNOW that drivers turn off app to force surge and I think that is why we get dinged on our ratings when they pay more. They think WE are being greedy and manipulating the demand. LOL! Sorry...pax hate surge...I hear it all the time. When it does surge drivers hang around and PAX outside surge have a harder time getting a ride.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

I respectfully disagree with you. Pax will walk instead of pay surge. I don't let them expect all rides should be non surge...they already expect it. If rates were higher...say before the last rate cut here, pax will pay and not complain because it is still far less then a cab. It would be fair to drivers too....putting a drivers pay at a respectable $20 plus an hour. If drivers aren't happy with that let them take their vast skills to go flip burgers. I personally see surge as bone of contention between pax and driver, both playing cat and mouse to get or avoid the surge respectively. I'm still quite new at this so I have no doubt my opinion may well change as my understanding of how it works grows.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah my pax told me today this morning at Planet Hollywood that he does not want to put his bag in my trunk. So I got out of my car I told him get your back out of my back seat and stay the hell away from my car....the dude was all dressed up he was like 4 feet chinese dude...the girl he was with like 6 feet tall white lady ....she was like "I can't believe this" .I didn't say one word to her she was standing in the back off my car to put her bags in the trunk......even the dude was like ok let's put in the trunk he was like waiting for me to open .I cancelled that trip I checked off "Do Not charge" and moved on with my day.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Do
Yeah my pax told me today this morning at Planet Hollywood that he does not want to put his bag in my trunk. So I got out of my car I told him get your back out of my back seat and stay the hell away from my car....the dude was all dressed up he was like 4 feet chinese dude...the girl he was with like 6 feet tall white lady ....she was like "I can't believe this" .I didn't say one word to her she was standing in the back off my car to put her bags in the trunk......even the dude was like ok let's put in the trunk he was like waiting for me to open .I cancelled that trip I checked off "Do Not charge" and moved on with my day.
you have leather interior?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why you don't want his bag in your back seat? Is it one of those huge luggage bag or a gym bag?

·
Registered
4 Posts

The only people I've gotten who pay the surge rate are people who are NOT fully aware. Otherwise, the minute the area I'm in goes into surge I'll get a ping, then 1 minute later they cancel...and this goes on for a good 10 or 15 minutes or until "surge" goes off. In the time I've been driving...I've only gotten about 5 people out of over 200 who did NOT cancel their request while Uber was in surge. I would NEVER make any money if I relied on surge. Without surge, I typically drive 25 hours per week, in an UberX and gross between $450 and $500.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Too many drivers, not enuff riders. No Big Event, No Convention, Nothing big is happening this weekend. But thousand drivers chasing that 50 rides. In this nice 110+ degree weather. Very few will make it, A lot who didn't will be pissed and quit!
Surge comes Back next week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts